Class 25 on LT

mark alden

I read somewhere on this forum someone was asking about a Class 25 on loan to LT for trial runs.

Here it is at Uxbridge sidings as viewed from the signal box.

Without my glasses on it looks like 25306 and I understand LT were looking at buying some, in the end they bought the 1985 Battery locos. These have all been cut up now and were taken away in skips a few months ago because the compound they were in was needed for other stuff.

I think this test run took place around 1982.

Pity really because I am a Transplant driver now and would of loved to be thrashing those around instead of Schoma and Class 66......

post-8027-0-59779400-1344503424_thumb.jpg

post-8027-0-54920100-1344503439_thumb.jpg

post-8027-0-41645500-1344503455_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I remember the Class 25 at Neasden and I believe LT where thinking of getting three but after inspecting this loco, they declined because of the body rot.

Julian Sprott

body rot? not because it was a bloody rat ? :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

LT Battery Loco's are also known as 'Rats' informally. Its interesting got A60/62, 1973 TS & D78 Stock all in one picture. The D Stock does have Special on the Blinds... hmmm plus both 'flags' are raised in the rear cab - A situation that is not allowed in Service (except in a failure situation) the combination of Weak Field & Coast Control would allow the D Stock to reach its theoretical top speed of 60 Mph - I wonder if this picture was taken in conjunction with the (in)famous D Stock speed run when it was clocked in excess of its top speed going down Met Mainline.

Cheers,

~ Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Body rot eh... Sounds familiar...

BR seemed to have had a habit of giving LT the rough of the Bunch,

Before the panniers, LT trialed a J52 i think it was, that was sent over in a filthy condition with leaking side tanks!

When replacing panniers, LT trialed a 350hp 08 shunter, again the roughest of the bunch!

And now this 25 with body rot! Didnt help themsleves did they BR...

Interestly LT asked the western region for a pannier, got an excellent one, went for a light overhaul beofre trials and came with a quantity of spares... good old western region ;)

LC

Archived