Hudswell Clarke has anyone got one yet.

Matador

Guest 838rapid

Sorry thought I had posted a few days ago.

Mine Arrived on Monday from Antics,green version of the Tank Engine.

Runs like a dream,nice and quiet,responsive and no loose parts to refit.

The only problem I have is I want a maroon one now too,and the bank manager he say no!!

So not till payday. :stinker: :stinker:

Was really nice to see Mike and Andy Y at Midland Railway Centre today.

A good day out if your looking for something to do tommorrow.

• RMweb Premium

My Hudswell Clarke arrived yesterday - Paul Martin at EDM Models checked his whole consignment before sending out. It runs beautifully. I could not build (or paint) a loco of this quality and its highly commended. Only a loose cab spectacle requires re-fixing, which is nothing.

This loco is a landmark in Gauge 0 - it makes a really excellent small steam loco available at a reasonable price.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Saw them on the EDM stand at the Midland Railex.

Impressive for the money, and the one running on the stand was smooth.

As they say in the advert 'Better go to Specsavers' :O - as well as the one running up and down the plank on the auto-shuttle, there were three more on the display shelf on rolling roads! :sarcastic: and they all ran like that straight from the box as we demonstrated about 10 times over the weekend.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

McAlpine's had a whole fleet of these at one time, this is one of two survivors - really nice photos.

Another real HC 'Countess of Warwick' class, the same as the Ixion loco, 'Wissington' has just returned to steam on the Mid Suffolk Light Railway - clearly one to go & see!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59636-the-mid-suffolk-light-railway-steam-gala/

I collected mine at Midland Railex and it worked very smoothly straight out of the box. Seems to be coping with our (deliberately) ropey track very well, including a point that wasn't throwing too accurately and wagons were playing up on.

And yes, it has the 100% of the batch fault, wired the wrong way around! But everything else appears fine and the red is very nice!

By the way, does anyone know of a source of the BTC Plates that showed that a loco had been approved for working onto BR tracks?

Paul Bartlett

This is Chris Klein from Ixion and I have followed the thread with interest. As with all mass produced articles there will be some with faults as any buyer of a new car will know. However, we are committed to ensuring that our customers receive only perfect models so replacement is not a quibbling issue. The reversed wiring was a surprise as all three iterations of the engineering prototypes were correct. For those fitting DCC the problem is easily solved. We are waiting for a pack of blanking plugs that will replace the DC blanking plug on the pcb and reverse the polarity. All locos in stock will be fitted and tested before dispatch and we are also sending stocks to our retailers. If you want to do it yourself, contact us via the Ixion website and we will send you a plug directly.

Our sincere hope is that this model will help to attract new modellers to the joys of O gauge.

I received my Hudswell Clarke yesterday. Unpacking it was just like Christmas, but without any of the usual disappointments. As I don't yet have a DCC chip for it (I will be using an ESU LokSound 1A) I tried it out with my DC bench PSU. The running is nothing short of exemplary. Straight out of the box it runs smoothly with no hint of hesitation, hunting or any of the other afflictions that models can exhibit. It will also run VERY slowly - much slower than I suspect the prototype was capable of.....I put a train of nine stiff, heavy wagons behind it and it romped away with them as if they weren't there. It seems a powerful little beast and very sure-footed. Running light it was drawing about 100mA (tenth of an amp) and even with the wagons behind it the current only rose to 200mA. Very creditable.

Faults? Well one of the front sandboxes was loose in the box when I unpacked it but a spot of superglue sorted that out in a moment. What else? Well "Christine" isn't one of the etched nameplates that were supplied with the model so I will have to get in touch with Guilplates for a pair (only joking boys! You can't be expected to anticipate my whims....)

This model is a quite outstanding bargain and Ixion are to be applauded for their enterprise in entering the O gauge market. Thanks lads, much appreciated! Now what are you doing next?

I took a couple of snaps......

P1010954a700x387.jpg

Taking the model out of the box, with nothing to compare it with, it seemed quite big. Putting it on my layout next to my kit-built Peckett 0-4-0ST made me realise just how dinky these locos were. Although it's an 0-6-0 it seems quite dwarfed by the Peckett. (Incidentally my wife's names are Susan Christine hence the name "Susan" on the 0-4-0ST and the reason why the Ixion model will be "Christine".) The two saddle tanks will share the work on the industrial siding.

P1010956a700x435.jpg

Coupling it to an ex-LNER van makes it look even smaller - a real little sweety!

Chaz

By the way, does anyone know of a source of the BTC Plates that showed that a loco had been approved for working onto BR tracks?

Paul Bartlett

Weren't these inside the cab Paul - in which case is there much point in bothering...........?

Weren't BTC Plates on the Solebar - or is that Rolling Stock I am thinking about?

As an aside, without blowing my own trumpet too much I have done a 'mini review' on my Hudswell Clarke I had to collect from the Post Office this morning. If others have photos of their locos they want to share - I am sure we'll all be happy to see them. Ixion gets a big thumbs up in my book for this loco its just fantastic.

Cheers,

~ Gary

Weren't these inside the cab Paul - in which case is there much point in bothering...........?

Not the ones I remember, they were on the side of the locomotive. Nothing to do with wagon plates, but a plate confirming that they were registered to operate on the "real" railway which was necessary at some industrial sites.

By the way, I agree the Ixion is very sure footed, and remarkably dainty in comparison with my 3F (Jinty/Jocko). But, I am disappointed the name plates don't include Julie :nono: :scared:

Paul Bartlett

I had mine done in 7mm scale by Guilplates from the attached artwork, even in 7mm scale the wording is barely legible.

post-14569-0-46438700-1345932826_thumb.jpg

Well done, PGH. I think that means that we can all obtain one (a pair?) from Guilplates for an authentic extra detail. My Peckett needs them too. Now does anyone have a photo showing a typical fitting position? The picture above, of No 81 broadside on, shows a small plate below the builders plate - could that be it?

Chaz

I had mine done in 7mm scale by Guilplates from the attached artwork, even in 7mm scale the wording is barely legible.

post-14569-0-46438700-1345932826_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much. Stupidly I forgot the advice I often give about plates, which is to go to http://www.gloucesterrailwayana.com and search their extensive archive of photographs.

This link may work http://www.glouceste...2.php?num=loc16

You mention Guilplates, do they have a web address - I cannot see one easily.

Paul Bartlett

• 3 months later...

Hi my H/C runs very well and it will pull an amazing amount for a small little engine 36 4 wheel wagons no wheel silp could have added more but that amount proved that this little engine is more than up to the task as it is unlikley that you would need too pull this amount or for most have enough space.

would recomend this model to any modeler wanting a O scale loco.

see my pic's on via link http://www.flickr.co...s/74212179@N05/

Happy modeling from Australia

Chris L

post-14985-0-24705100-1355025628.jpgpost-14985-0-85280000-1355025900.jpgpost-14985-0-06462900-1355026035.jpg

Guest Isambarduk

Nice work, Chris!

“would recommend this model to any modeller wanting a O scale loco.”

I concur entirely.

As I mentioned in another thread (www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59717-hudswell-clarke-0-6-0st/) I am intending to modify my black Hudswell Clarke to become Great Central Railway class 4, as in No. 278 Humber of 1909, later LNER class J61 No. 5278 (see http://d240vprofozpi.cloudfront.net/locos/J/j61_2.jpg from www.lner.info/locos/J/j61.shtml).

I have other projects on the go but, for light relief a few weeks ago, I turned up a Robinson GCR chimney. I have retained the original saddle and, when I have finished all the other reworking, I will blend the turning into it with some filler.

GCR-RobinsonChimney-s.jpg

GCR-Humber-Chimney-s.jpg

Ixion model straight out of the box (except for the chimney)

David

aka DLOS

Got mine at Warley and it limped a bit on test once I got it home. One of the driving wheels was out of quarter but I turned it carefully by hand and it now runs like the proverbial Swiss timepiece. Very happy with it. I took it apart to fit some Dingham couplers here.

Jon F

Archived