Hudswell Clarke has anyone got one yet.

Matador

I couldn't access it.

You have to be a member to access the GOG Forums. Sadly I shall have to wait the supplier I purchased mine from is on Holiday until Tuesday - At Least I should have mine for next weekend. It'll give me something to get on with.

Cheers,

~ Gary

Mine arrived by courier from Tower Models yesterday.

Having noted various comments elsewhere about running quality I thought I'd better give it a whirl - a bit stuttery on rollers but better when run up and down a yard of track.

Definitely not picking up from the front set of wheels but I'm not yet sure if it's supposed to. But at least it runs well enough not to think about sending it back for exchange as I've noted others intend doing. I've seen that Ixion do not keep a spares stock of components so will cannibalise warranty exchange locos as required.

Running qualities aside, the finish is superb and represents, I feel, good value at £225 post free from Tower Models or Antics (and possibly others).

• RMweb Gold

I bought one from Dragon at Railwells and I'm very pleased with it. The man from Dragon was very careful to run it on the stand before I bought it.

I have since run it in on my rolling road and have had no running issues.

Chris

Guest Isambarduk

There has been some discussion about these Ixion models on the Gauge 0 Guild forum; some models run beautifully but others have been poor. It has been suggested to run them on a rolling road for 30 minutes or so in both directions to cure these problems but, not only do I not have a rolling road, I believe that my example is far too bad for that (it has a bad 'knock' twice per rev and it proceeds in a series of jerks in either direction).

Upon emailing Tower Models, they immediately agreed to exchange it for me at Telford (8/9 Sept) and commented: "Looks like 75% ish run perfectly, the other 25% run acceptable to very poor. " One other member has reported that Tower have agreed to exchange his model.

Various people have written comments on the fine/poor performance of their particular loco but on Saturday one wrote "I saw examples with Dragon Models at the Railwells show today. One demonstrated out of the box onto a rolling road. Perfect. All from that source will have had a run on the rolling road before despatch, I'm advised." and another wrote "Got mine (green one) yesterday as well from Dragon. Runs like a dream in both directions".

Some of the models appear to be wired up 'back to front' and Ixion have issued a DIY instruction sheet to correct this:

www.ixionmodels.com/uploads/IXION%20HUDSWELL%20CLARKE%20Wiring%20Fix.pdf

There are other comments about loose pipework, stray glue and guard irons inexpertly re-glued on after painting but generally the 'look' has been complimented.

Hope this helps those who cannot read the G0G thread.

I find it sad, that this nice loco seems to be having severe quality issues. At £ 225,00, it is certainly not a bargain. £ 205,00 buys you the Agenoria kit - seems to be the better deal.

I really wonder how Dapol´s Terrier will perform.

But you miss the point that many potential buyers consider themselves incapable of assembling an etched metal kit. Can they get an Agenoria loco professionally assembled and painted for £20.00? In any case, the vast magority of locos are acceptable and the manufacturer/ suppliers have already put a replacement option in place. Although I don't want one, I welcome Ixion's entry into O gauge RTR.

And why should Ixion's slight teething problems blight Dapol's offering?

Let's give them both a chance.

B

MY dad got his today and it is superb, Havent run it yet but its a quality product including a full set of plates and tools.

This has to be a great start for a lot of new O gauge modellers and should spur others on to use this method of production for O gauge and not rely so heavily on brass and other expensive metals. Once its painted you wouldnt know what its built out of.

Finally a sensibly priced RTR O gauge loco.

I know there have been some issues but then thats what the warranty is for.

Wont put me off kits I just think some times because its O its expected to be expensive and this goes to show it does not. Well done and roll on Dapols 08/ Terrier and fingers crossed Pannier.

I bought mine because I need something 'Steam' to retain an interest in the scale. Issues over QA are minor at best - Hornby has made much worse flaws recently *cough*T9, *cough*4-VEP Ixion's Brass RTR loco has sold out and there aren't any complaints I can find for that. As an entry level locomotive its a great effort and likely to influence several modellers on the edge of their seats to take the plunge and change scales.

Cheers,

~ Gary

Mine arrived this afternoon as requested. It runs superbly - well pleased with that. I do have a couple of QA issues.

1) the reversing leaver was loose in the bottom of the box, I've put it in place but it may need glue to hold it.

2) one of the coupling hooks is fitted up-side-down, I'll need to get in touch with Ixion to find out how to rectify that without invalidating the guarantee.

for the price I'm happy with the product.

DaveC

I find it sad, that this nice loco seems to be having severe quality issues. At £ 225,00, it is certainly not a bargain. £ 205,00 buys you the Agenoria kit - seems to be the better deal.

I really wonder how Dapol´s Terrier will perform.

I have to say I find that comment more than a little unfair. £225 for a RTR SG 0-6-0T IS a fantastic bargain IMHO. I paid £350 + each some time ago for Bachmann Brassworks 0-6-0 diesel shunters. I have also built several brass kits and I must say I jump at the chance to increase the stock with a loco that only requires a little weathering to make it fit right in.

I spoke to Paul at EDM yesterday and he told me he intends to test run each loco before he sends it out. (Apparently you have to open the box to find out what colour the model is anyway). In any case, should anyone be unlucky and have a dud, Ixion have said they will replace it without hassle.

As for the Terrier - again please be fair - let's wait and see. If it runs as well as Heljan's diesels I will be more than happy!

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

At £ 225,00, it is certainly not a bargain. £ 205,00 buys you the Agenoria kit - seems to be the better deal.

An RTR model for £20 more than the kit sounds like a HUGE bargain to me!

I was admiring then at Wells, and wondering how I could afford/justify one.

Dave.

Just to set a few things straight - £ 225 for a O gauge loco is a good deal, providing that there are no quality issues, which are a sign of poor process management. I don´t know who produces the Hudswell Clarke for Ixion, I can only assume that it is a Chinese source. I also know how expensive it is to set up a working quality control in China.

I have made my own experience with locos of Chinese manufacture, which I had bought from overseas sources. The postage to return a loco that did not run properly was forbidding, so the phrase RTR turned into ready to repair. I know that things have improved and Bachmann is now doing a good job, but the others have to follow.

Just to set a few things straight - £ 225 for a O gauge loco is a good deal, providing that there are no quality issues, which are a sign of poor process management. I don´t know who produces the Hudswell Clarke for Ixion, I can only assume that it is a Chinese source. I also know how expensive it is to set up a working quality control in China.

I have made my own experience with locos of Chinese manufacture, which I had bought from overseas sources. The postage to return a loco that did not run properly was forbidding, so the phrase RTR turned into ready to repair. I know that things have improved and Bachmann is now doing a good job, but the others have to follow.

I have to disagree with the majority of your statement here. Personal experience via a different manufacturer also I suggest is rather moot. I've never had a bad Bachmann loco regardless of where it is from. All I can suggest us that if you feel the QC issues are too lax for your liking then simply don't buy the loco. I suspect there is a HC kit available however I doubt you could assemble one for the price of a RTP 'Ready to Play' one from Ixion.

When mine arrives I will be quite happy to provide a more indepth personal experience; but until then I don't have much more to say on the matter. Aside that it must be rather disheartening for Ixion who have invested a large sum of money on these models for some minor teething issues which will be sorted & worked on no doubt to read comments that flatly refuse to purchase their product - each to their own but "You pays your money & Takes your choice" as they say.

Cheers,

~ Gary

• RMweb Gold

If you buy from a decent dealer( I would recommend Dragon but would have to adnit I regard Chris a a friend) and check it runs ok before doing anything to it you should get your money back or another if it is a real lemon. The difficulties arise if it is just a bit iffy.

Don

Mine arrived this afternoon as requested. It runs superbly - well pleased with that. I do have a couple of QA issues.

1) the reversing leaver was loose in the bottom of the box, I've put it in place but it may need glue to hold it.

2) one of the coupling hooks is fitted up-side-down, I'll need to get in touch with Ixion to find out how to rectify that without invalidating the guarantee.

for the price I'm happy with the product.

DaveC

Update - I've had some very helpful advice on accessing the coupling hook from Phil at Ixion which were easily followed. These required a bit of dismantling the body so I was able to see the construction of the loco - its very ingenious being a few smaller moldings that fit into each other. They came apart and went back together easily 6 screws to undo and redo. That and a spot of glue to hold the reversing leaver have corrected the minor QA problems. It runs sweetly and will run slowly and smoothly in both directions. So I'm well pleased and would buy further locos from ixion if they are to a similar price/standard.

DaveC

• RMweb Premium

Helping Paul from EDM Models set up his trade stand at Midland Railex today - as mentioned above, he is testing all locos prior to despatch and so far hasn't experienced any problems except that it means that his customers are having to wait a few days - especially now that he is at the show over the weekend. He had two running on a rolling road and another shuttling back and forth on a small test track - no issues with any of them. Come and see for your self - we are in the Princess Margaret Rose building at the back of the main museum.

Mike

Archived