Carlisle station access

eastworld

Is Carlisle station 'open' i.e. does it have platform barriers, and if so can platform tickets be purchased? Does anybody know what time the station closes at night or is it open all night?

Stu

This might help. Quick search on Google.

http://www.nationalr...ations/CAR.html

Thanks - says it's staffed 24 hours a day, so that implies it's open, and therefore there must be trains calling at all times - I know the sleepers stop but that's not many and they would all be through by midnight?

Reason is that I was thinking of going for a few hours overnight to watch what went through.

Stu

None of the sleepers are through by midnight.

1M11 Glasgow - Euston - 01.43

1S25 Euston - Inverness/Fort WIlliam/Aberdeen - 02.16

1M16 Inverness/Fort WIlliam/Aberdeen - Euston - 03.05

1S26 Euston - Glasgow - 05.16

Times from tomorrows WTT info via http://rail.staging.swlines.co.uk

From my memory the staff were very tolerant of railfans hanging about as long as they were sensible.

One other thing is that when I was there the toilets were not open 24hr, worth keeping in mind - make sure you go before they shut!

• RMweb Premium

Barriers eventually once First gain control and can arrange things but for now Carlisle remains "open" and you may well find you are not the only nocturnal enthusiast on or about the station. Usual rules of common sense apply especially reagarding photography (i.e. no flash)

Platform tickets can be purcahsed from any staffed station. Not all staff seem to be aware of this and not all barrier staff insist on you having one but beware entering a station at the invitation of one staff member only to find they have gone home when you try to leave and find the barriers staffed by someone a little less understanding. It happens.

Guest Max Stafford

The station generally shuts between 01:30 and 05:00 but as long as you make yourself known to the Team Leader and state your intention you'll normally find them accommodating if you observe the basic courtesies and act responsibly.

Dave.

Archived