Northern 158 Lighting

Hi,

Can anyone help with this one please?

I am in the process of re-lighting 2 of the Bachmann 158 2 car 158's in the latest Northern livery.

I have noticed, whilst on my travels, that some of the units have had lighting upgrades to the Bi-colour led type for the marker/tail lamps.

I was wondering two things..........

1. Are all of the Northern 158's going to have their lighting upgraded to this spec or is it just a select few?

2. Does anyone have a record of which units that have been upgraded to date?

I have seen 3 car units with both types of lighting but am really looking at the 2 car units.

Thanks in anticipation

Rob

Guest stuartp

1. Are all of the Northern 158's going to have their lighting upgraded to this spec or is it just a select few?

2. Does anyone have a record of which units that have been upgraded to date?

According to my colleagues along the corridor in Northern Towers:

1. Only the Porterbrook-owned units have been modified, Angel Trains have not modified their units and there are no plans for Northern to modify the Angel fleet themselves. The mod has been carried out on all Porterbrook units, including 144s and 156s.

2. There should be a list of Porterbrook-owned units somewhere, I'll see if I can get you the 158 numbers but the person I'd normally ask has finished for Christmas.

Thanks for the info Stuart, that's very helpful.

I had noticed that other unit classes had also recieved the mods and thought that Northern were slowly working through the whole fleet as and when they were 'in for exams'. I didn't realise it was the 'owners' own mods!!!!!

There's no real rush for the list, after the Christmas break will do. I've got until the end of January to get the new leds fitted!!!!

Seasons Greetings and all that......

Rob

Guest stuartp

Rather than wait until after Christmas I thought I'd put my banter-proof suit back on and see if anyone else knew the answer to (2). They did.

All the 2-car sets are owned by either Angel or WYPTE, so (should) have standard lighting clusters. All the 3-cars are owned by Porterbrook, and have the LED clusters. So your 2-car should have the standard lights.

However - there has been so much movement of individual sets between operators that it may be the case that a 2-car set has LED clusters fitted by a previous TOC, but you're going to have to check photos for that. Unfortunately HQ don't keep records of mod states to that level of detail, at least not for lights.

Archived