The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Copyright

edcayton

This was triggered by the long discussion on here, but that has now been locked. When we took our flight at Duxford yesterday we had a group photo taken before we took off. By the time we got back the photographer had gone and there was only one copy of the photo. The guy at the desk said that they could not print any more and that we should go into one of the photo shops in town to get copies.

We tried to do that and the shop said that they could not because the photo was taken by a professional and they retained the copyright. My friend reckoned that because we commissioned the photographer to take the photo the copyright belonged to us.

Thoughts?

Ed

Depends on the contract. Anything on the ticket or documentation you may have signed to take the flight?

Failing that, I'm assuming the photographer must have left his details somewhere, so would suggest a quick call may help.

Just as an aside, we paid for the copyright on all my daughters wedding pics, so they gave us the disk with all the images to print as many as we want for friends and family. Other photographers will insist you buy prints from them.

Edit: Beat me to it, Beast... :)

Just as an aside, we paid for the copyright on all my daughters wedding pics, so they gave us the disk with all the images to print as many as we want for friends and family. Other photographers will insist you buy prints from them.

At least they're more flexible and practical about it than they were before the digital age as they never used to like passing it on. They know people are more likely to scan copies now rather than have re-prints. Not that they'd be much use to anyone else unless you went on to be a celebrity. :)

unless he signed a waiver otherwise all images remain the property of the photographer

otherwise profesional photograhpers couldnt make a living !

oh and he can do what ever he likes where ever he likes with the image wheather you like it or not

oh and he can do what ever he likes where ever he likes with the image wheather you like it or not

Incorrect I'm afraid.

A model release would be required in such a context for using images of a person (unless caveated in a contract) for reward which I very much doubt there would be in the circumstances.

Archived