Colour

• RMweb Gold

Guys we all know colour is very subjective and the outcome can depend on all sorts of things including undercoat, weathering, natural light etc etc. A propos nothing at all I just did a little comparison in daylight.

I've been using Ford Rosso Red acrylic to achieve BR carmine. The blood and custard auto coach had an undercoat of Halfords grey primer and Vauxhall Gazelle Beige before spraying the red. The other two coaches had Rosso red sprayed directly over the grey. All coaches were sprayed from the same can within a week of each other, in much the same weather/temperature. I use Hycote acrylic cans, not enamel.

You can clearly see the red on the two tone coach is a lot brighter. The plain coaches look similar to each other. However, inside on my layout to the Mk1 eyeball, and under artificial light, the shades appear a little different due to the slab sided nature of the auto coach nd the fact the compartment coach has a bit more weathering.

Fronts800px.jpg

Sides800px.jpg

Don't write in (unless you're strongly motivated!) it's just for fun.

To my (slightly aged) Mk1 eyeball I'd say the colours in your digital images are very close to those in the Ian Allan colour albums of Peter Gray's slide photography, covering the mid '50s to the early '60s period on the Western.... they certainly have a nice period feel to them anyway.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks - I certainly try and 'capture the look' as far as practical with relatively modest skills. I was an armchair modeller for 25+ years and it's all down to observation of what seems to work for others who are generous enough to share their efforts, plus loads of practice and re-starts!

• RMweb Gold

The red on the "blood and custard" appears lighter because you used a different base coat colour (cream vs grey). I'd certainly agree you've captured the (to my eyes at least) on all of them.

I agree the lighter red is caused by a lighter undercoat, in the trade its usually recommended to use a white primer under red to bring out the true colour.

And they do look good, personally I think different shades of the same colour is way more realistic than them all being the same.

Archived