Bachmann LNER Oxide Van

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I was looking at this model in the Bachmann catalogue [era 3] but retailers are saying era 4 BR early period.Would they have been decorated as such for a postwar layout period.Looking for wagons not GWR for a change !

http://www.gascupboard.co.uk/12t-ventilated-van-planked-ends-lner-oxide.html

That style is applied from the mid thirties, continues to the end of the existence of the big four, Dec 31st 1947; then is altered (most likely by the overpainting of the 'NE' and an 'E' prefix added to the running number) at some point thereafter, date indeterminate for the majority of wagons. So while it is a livery applied in 'era 3', it has some currency into 'era 4' due to the impossibility of repainting a million pieces of kit overnight...

• 2 months later...

Hattons have this available now but its listed in era 5 so I'm confused whether its suitable for a post war pre nationalisation.

http://www.ehattons.....aspx?SID=52708

This is the stripped down livery used during the war and immediately afterwards. It would have slowly faded out over the first few years of BR, as mentioned by 34theletterbetweenB&D often with an E being painted on the number without other repainting. Era 5 is too late, go for the Bachmann BR liveried version.

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Premium

This type of van was a WW2 'economy' design, saving steel by reverting to wooden ends, so this particular vehicle in this livery is only applicable to the last few years of the LNER (although as mentioned, it would have taken some time after 1948 to repaint them all into BR livery). A picture of this same vehicle appears in Tatlow's 'LNER Wagons' (first edition), taken at Renfrew in 1946 in which it appears to be nearly new (or ex works).

• 3 weeks later...

Having treated myself to one of these and knowing nothing of the prototype, can anyone enlighten me as to why the vac pipes are set at an angle on these.

Because that's how "proper" railway companies built them.

It was certainly the standard practise on the LNER and also on stock of some of the constituent companies.

I don't have a drawing of the brake gear to hand to see if the bend was put in in order to clear various parts on the underside of the vehicle.

A railway man will probably be along in a minute to say that it was easier to couple up the pipes when theywere like this.

Bernard

Because that's how "proper" railway companies built them.

It was certainly the standard practise on the LNER and also on stock of some of the constituent companies.

I don't have a drawing of the brake gear to hand to see if the bend was put in in order to clear various parts on the underside of the vehicle.

A railway man will probably be along in a minute to say that it was easier to couple up the pipes when theywere like this.

Bernard

Quite correct. Presumably the end of the hose is on the centre line - which is the obvious place, But the connecting pipe has to do two things, one avoid the coupling pocket and then join a vacuum pipe that runs the length of the wagon - this has to be supported, so runs along the inner frame - which cannot be on the centre line again because of the couplings. Some railways had handed vacuum pipes, others on the underside swapped the pipe from one inner frame to the other at a convenient place - usually away from the connections to the vacuum cylinder.

Paul Bartlett

• 11 months later...

For the period in question, if the van were fitted, then it would have had screw couplings; three-link ones were for unfitted stock, whilst the Instanter was confined to the Great Western until Nationalisation, I believe. I'm sure I remember something about the Instanter being a design that the GWR patented.

• RMweb Gold

For the period in question, if the van were fitted, then it would have had screw couplings; three-link ones were for unfitted stock, whilst the Instanter was confined to the Great Western until Nationalisation, I believe. I'm sure I remember something about the Instanter being a design that the GWR patented.

The period modelled is post war .

Archived