Does anyone else remember the KATO Kowloon-Canton railway set?

urbancohort

This may be 'recovered memory syndrome' or whatever the psychologists call it, but I seem to remember a set by KATO I think in N gauge of a Kowloon-Canton railway set?

I seem to remember it advertised in Continental Modeller in the mid 90s?

Is there any Chinese outline in N?

I remember seeing the loco in Continental Modeller years ago. I think this was produced because the KCRC loco was virtually identical to the Swiss Federal Railways Re 460, which was already in the Kato N range. I'm not aware of any RTR models of Chinese prototypes in N.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed there was. In fact there were two sets, as the prototype runs top and tail. I have a half set - loco and four carriages. The loco is normal Kato standard, but the carriages are not so great. The couplings are also a bit suspect.

That said, it is an interesting and unusual model.

• RMweb Premium

The locos of the Kowloon-Canton Railway were identical to the SFW Re 460 and were actually built by Adtranz of Winterthur. They also operate diesel locomotives of various GE types built under licence in Australia.

I have a couple of the Kato sets tucked away. My username should give a clue as to why having been working on rail projects in Hong Kong for the last 11 years!

The originals are still running albeit now in MTRC guise following the merger of MTRC and KCRC a few years back.

Slightly OT but the old GE diesels and their "replacement" Eurorunners are now just used for p way and maintenance trains following the demise of freight operations on the former KCRC East Rail line.

Regards

Steve

The early KCRC diesels were all EMD powered (not GE) - G12B (5), G16 (4), G26 (3).

The G12s and one of the G16s were built by Clyde Engineering in Sydney. The other three G16s were reportedly built in the US. Not sure about the G26s, but possibly in Oz.

Four of the G12s were repatriated to Oz in 2005 and are owned by leasing company CFCL Australia http://www.flickr.co...ter/5688729555/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived