HST DCC SOUND AND DECODER

cornishmick

hi i have a brand new Hornby hst first great western DCC READY and i want to go DCC FITTed with Sound i belive Howes Models are the best for DCC Sound but my question is the sound decoder seperate to the normal decoder in fact would anyone be able to tell me how to go about fitting the lot from start to finish and rougthly how much would it cost?

any advise would be great as im new to dcc

mike

The sound decoder is basically a normal operational decoder with a sound speak attached so this will drive the model as well as provide the sounds. To fit it all you should have to do is take the top off the model, remove the 8 pin blanking plug and install the sound decoder. Best thing to do would be fit the speaker to the inside of the roof of the body.

The cost will be approx £117.50 per sound decoder, you may want to put a second sound chip in the dummy car but this would double your costs - a cheaper option will be to have a standard non-sound chip in the back to work the lights.

Would it not be better to put the sound chip in the dummy as there is more room and then a regular decoder in the power car?

The decoder, sound or not, needs four connections. two to the pick ups and two to the motor. Thus the decoder needs to go where all four connections are placed. 99/100 this is next to the motor.

If the lights are powered from the dummy car pick ups and you want the lights DCC controlled, then the advice to fit an accessory decoder in the dummy car is good.

It seems as though you are relatively new to DCC and if so, you might do well to have an ESU dealer in your home town install the decoders for you and pay him to do so.

If you do that there are some negative's. The sound decoder will have a delay while the brakes ''release'' and the engine ''revs up''. the non sound decoder will set off instantly so these noises will be playing on the move!! So you would have to 'drive' the decoders separately. Plus if the decoder is not conected to a motor you cannot read back cv values. HTH, kev.

I'm sure i read that theres enough space for a 20x40 bass speaker above the rear bogie in the powered power car

Richard

Got the New Hornby HST on my desk, suggest the Bass Enhanced 20x40 (See www.dckits-devideos.co.uk) as this will fit easy.

Worth considering the Legomanbiffo HST as there good and cheaper than Howes. But thats a matter of personal choice of course,

the other car could have a speaker fitted and by using NEM Pocket live 2pole couplings (Viessmann 5048) it could save you the cost of a

second decoder.

This is one of the easiest DCC sound installations you can do so if you do fancy a DIY it really isn't difficult and there are photos of the process on here somewhere. I speak as a complete amateur at installing sound and even I managed it.

I have also been able to fit the two power cars with a sound chip. Having switched to DCC Sound I would reccomend the idea of fitting two decoders with sound to the HST set - ie one sound decoder in each power car. While you might not notice the second dummy power car at speed, the realism kicks into a new level when one power car and then the second fires up and you hear both pass you, one after the other. The alternative is an HST with a failed power car on the rear... as all of a sudden the dummy car just rolls past. Much better to have sound in the pair. Can reccoment the Howes ones for this, as they even will fire up independantly of each other, or at the same time much like the real thing.

I have also been able to fit the two power cars with a sound chip. Having switched to DCC Sound I would reccomend the idea of fitting two decoders with sound to the HST set - ie one sound decoder in each power car. While you might not notice the second dummy power car at speed, the realism kicks into a new level when one power car and then the second fires up and you hear both pass you, one after the other. The alternative is an HST with a failed power car on the rear... as all of a sudden the dummy car just rolls past. Much better to have sound in the pair. Can reccoment the Howes ones for this, as they even will fire up independantly of each other, or at the same time much like the real thing.

What you say is true, but at £117.50 each for Howes Lok V4.0 decoders, that's quite an outlay.

Mike,

Some would dispute your basic assumption that they are the best anyway. You might be surprised at the quality available elsewhere if you did some research.

In my opinion, Legomanbiffo's diesel electric sounds for Lok V4.0 can't be beaten for authenticity and controllability so would be worth checking out at any price. But since they are available from DC Kits for £97.88, or reblows direct from Bif if you already have decoders, there's a price incentive too.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hiya Mark,

Ive been a standard barer for the Howes models sound chips for quite some time and a lot of the chips I have fitted have been reblown or have come from Howes direct having been nothing but a happy customer of their service. While they have been the market leaders in sound for sometime, there is competition out there and price enters into it as a result. Best way forward is to try and find examples of those sounds out there - some are good, others are like more akin to sounding like youve fitted a DCC Sound washing machine. Paul's example of Biffos chips is something else that you might consider and indeed their reputation is fast growing amongst other modellers, happy with the detail and sounds on their chips - although I am yet to purchase one, I would think such an event is unavoidable as I would also reccoment varying the chips purchased to get different sounds on different locomotives, rather than have all types of the same class sounding the same. Problem here is the fact that you need to find other suppliers out there who match the standards you set. Howes, thanks to Bryans hard work have been leaders in this regard, but I would also reccomend Biffo merely due to the high regard these products are held in and I havent heard anyone complain yet. Some I would avoid would be a shop in Sheffield's own DCC produce, and some manufacturers own sounds on engines. Its a case of needing to do homework on what you want... then sticking to the standards you have once started.

biffo chips amongst other things adds horn playability for added driving realism.

dcc supplies bass enhanced 20 x 40 x 9 fits (just). t

top tip as some people seem to have real trouble removing HST bodies - remove the screws, lift the back end up about half and inch then push the body forwards slightly (by about an inch) to dislodge it from the streamlined part of the chassis. that way you wont break anything.

biffo chips amongst other things adds horn playability for added driving realism.

dcc supplies bass enhanced 20 x 40 x 9 fits (just). t

top tip as some people seem to have real trouble removing HST bodies - remove the screws, lift the back end up about half and inch then push the body forwards slightly (by about an inch) to dislodge it from the streamlined part of the chassis. that way you wont break anything.

You can listen to all Legomanbiffo's (Ian's) projects on www.dckits-devideos.co.uk digital sound pages, if you try one and not happy a FULL refund will be given.

These & a full range of speakers can also be bought online or at many model shows throughout the uk, we are at Blackburn, Woking, Manchester, Barrow, Tolworth, Spalding, Hull, Macclesfield, Wakefield, Peterborough, Leatherhead, Workington, Leeds, Dublin, NEC Birmingham. The can be reserved for collection too!

Archived