Dapol Magnetic Knuckle Coupling

Yarnham

Sorry if this has been already mentioned elsewhere on the thread as I couldn't find it. Was wondering if Dapol Dave could tell us if there are plans in place to produce a knuckle coupler to fit the "old" style coupling pockets on Dapol/Farish stock?

I'm currently building a small layout which will be using the magnetic coupling system but a bit daunted retrofitting microtrains couplers to my non NEM stock,

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Dapol are producing a kit that allows you to convert older stock but it is not a plug and play option. It requires cutting off and replacing the old coupling pocket.

I sent a request to Bachmann Service (2nd August) to see if they could source any of these - 'Bachmann Dummy Knuckle Couplers (short) - 42532', which I use to replace the Rapido's on my stock and their response was that they were moving over to Magnetic Knuckles and that the product had sold out. If you google, you'll see that the dummy knuckles are a direct replacement for the old style Farish coupler pocket. So unless the guys in service got the wrong end of the stick, we may see something soon.

I'm also interested in seeing the Dapol version mentioned earlier, but I find their knuckles look a little too large when compared to something like Micro Trains magnetic couplers.

http://www.grahamfarish.co.uk/pr1.php?id=241 press release from 2009 about the new N gauge coupling

42532 couplings have been out of stock for atleast a year and i was told they arent going to make any more because they have the new style ones in the US.

you could use the 42531 triple pack(as i do, consists of a long pair, a short pair and pair with holes not T shanks), but even these are getting short on supply.

Bachmanm/Farish, Please get you fingers out and either release the promised new coupling or atleast rebrand the the US dummies and sell us those instead!!!

i dont know why Dapol dont just relase a magnetic coupler with a t shank instead of nem shank it wont do everything but it would work for most stock but we will have to wait and see what nspare9 pack works for

you can also get unimates on ebay if you want to do a rake of wagons or coaches (in all 3 lengths)

i dont know why Dapol dont just relase a magnetic coupler with a t shank instead of nem shank it wont do everything but it would work for most stock

According to Dapol Dave they tried that but it did not work well. NEM defines the size of the pocket and height above the rail. Rapido boxes come in a much wider range of heights. They found that they could not get a version of their coupler to work reliably in different rapido boxes due to the variation.

Guest tony graham

i dont know why Dapol dont just relase a magnetic coupler with a t shank instead of nem shank it wont do everything but it would work for most stock but we will have to wait and see what nspare9 pack works for

you can also get unimates on ebay if you want to do a rake of wagons or coaches (in all 3 lengths)

Unimates? have searched but cant find anything...

And for what it is worth. Microtrains couplings do.not work with the Dapol couplings. Hopefully the farish ones will! (just bought some MT's this weekend as I remeber Dapol stating that these would be compatible

And for what it is worth. Microtrains couplings do.not work with the Dapol couplings.

Hi Yarnham,

We will all have different experiences and I do respect yours but in my experience Dapol and MicroTrains couplings do work ok together despite a small height difference, (Dapol sit lower) and the Dapol version being much more 'chunky'.

They will couple up ok, albeit with a bit of a heavy shunt, and will uncouple successfully about 80% of the time. However, the 'delayed shunt procedure' is a definite no-no.

So in summary from my experience they are ok (ish) together but, as with any coupling, it's best to stick with one manufacturer throughout if you possibly can.

Regards,

HC

Archived