Bogie Ladle Wagon (7mm.)

Based on a Pollock design; this is my first 'outline' bogie-ladle......it`s a very heavy model (I`ve managed to secrete half a kilo of lead in it!) so it`ll likely be seen as a 'loco and single' movement on our steelworks exhibition layout, hence the single Pratt & Sprinkle coupling on the machinery end, and a 3 linker on t`other.

I`ve had fun; for, making 'outline' rolling-stock is a new experience for me......it`s really nice to simply get on and 'build' something.

A rake of ingot-carts and their blisteringly-hot ingot cargoes, are now underway on the Deb`s workbench.......forum member Arthur`s excellent album of photographs of steelworks rolling-stock has been a valuable resource for the ladle and ingot wagons; as has Arthur himself, with regards to his super technique of rendering of hot ingots with paint effects.....pics. of those to follow later.

.......Those mini fluorescents are neat, what voltage do they work on?

Hi Arthur, They`re cold-cathode flourescents and are made by Miller Engineering and come complete with an H.F-ballast unit which is powered by conventional 12 volt D.C supply.

http://www.microstru.com/Flourescents.html ......I do think they are available from U.K-based suppliers also.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Arthur`s excellent painting-technique advice; I`ve managed to complete the heavy-duty ingot carts and their incendiary-hot loads.

and now I need to create a few little extra wagon-load surprises for Telford.

.......like this:

Blimey Debs, they're excellent. The ingots, that first photo in particular, really have depth to the heat and light and the use of the gunmetal is brilliant.

This photo reminded me of what you're doing, Wasp stripes and slag bogies.

Its the Derwent blast furnaces at BSC Workington, the loco is one of the later Yorkshire Engine Co. designs working with a Pollock style slag ladle. The furnace, top left, is casting and the hot metal runs over a bridge into an open topped hot metal car.

post-6861-0-13250600-1346759269_thumb.jpg

Superd wagons I especially like the little ingot wagons, look like a few wagons from bsc stocksbridge on Paul bartletts excellent wagon website.

Hopefully get round to something similar soon in either n gauge or oi gauge if I can make my mind up which gauge

Mophead

• 1 month later...

Archived