Lenz Compact and Lenz LS150

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Is it possible to set up the LS150 with the Lenz Compact?

I need to adjust the pulse length from the LS150 outputs to work Tortoise point motors.

I can set up the LS150 with the basic instructions and it works for solonoid point motors without a problem.

Ideas and suggestions please...

(I know that someone will say get rid of the Compact)

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi Keith,

I have the manual and can program and control solonoid type point moters through the LS150.

To control Motor type point motors requires the pulse length to be adjusted.

I've been through the manuals, both LS150 and Compact.

I've tried the way the LS150 manual but I cannot find a way to do this with the Compact.

Thanks

As long as you can control accesory decoders it can programme a LS 150:

http://www.lenzusa.com/1newsite1/Manuals/LS150.pdf

Keith

• RMweb Premium

The Compact apparently can only operate accessories up to number 99 so maybe you cannot sent a number big enough for slo -mo motors.

Cannot you just hold the + or - key down to send a continuous string of pulses until the motor is fully operated?

As long as the key is pressed the handset will send another pulse immediately after the first essentially making it continuous.

I did that on my LH100 without altering the LS150 setting at all.

Keith

Edited after reading Compact spec.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Keith

Will try that later on...

Your reading of the Compact manual agrees with my interpretation.

Anyway - If it does not work I've had an offer to set it up off the layout with a Lanz 100 - but I need to wait till Ayr Modelrailway Exhibition and that's only a week before the layout is on show at another exhibition.

Didn't want to wait that long - wanted to try things out before hand and allow plenty of time to correct any problems!

Thanks for the input - will let you know how I get on.

The Compact apparently can only operate accessories up to number 99 so maybe you cannot sent a number big enough for slo -mo motors.

Cannot you just hold the + or - key down to send a continuous string of pulses until the motor is fully operated?

As long as the key is pressed the handset will send another pulse immediately after the first essentially making it continuous.

I did that on my LH100 without altering the LS150 setting at all.

Keith

Edited after reading Compact spec.

• RMweb Gold

I don't understand why there's a problem. The value you can set is between 1 (0.1 seconds) and 100 (which is 10 seconds). For the Tortoises you only need a switch time of about 3 seconds, which equates to a value of 30 - well within the supported range of the Compact.

• RMweb Premium

I don't understand why there's a problem. The value you can set is between 1 (0.1 seconds) and 100 (which is 10 seconds). For the Tortoises you only need a switch time of about 3 seconds, which equates to a value of 30 - well within the supported range of the Compact.

You are right of course.

Having re-read the LS150 instructions it should be a doddle, all you do is repeat the procedure that was used for setting the address after pressing the programming button again on the LS150 for a short period and the value entered sets the pulse duration.

I found 3 seconds a bit low for a Tortoise and set mine to 4 seconds

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Well - I've tried the method suggested by Keith and have not been able to achieve success.

What I have noticed is that when I follow the method of holding the + key to increase the length of pules - it doesn't.

What happens is that the point number advances instead and not the length of pulse.

Thanks for all the suggestions though - much appreciated!

I'll take it off the layout (designed it to be removeable anyway) and pay a visit to one of my freinds who has a set 100.

Thanks

You are right of course.

Having re-read the LS150 instructions it should be a doddle, all you do is repeat the procedure that was used for setting the address after pressing the programming button again on the LS150 for a short period and the value entered sets the pulse duration.

I found 3 seconds a bit low for a Tortoise and set mine to 4 seconds

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Hi again

Correction don't press the button again see below (I shouldn't read manuals late at night!)

You do the same thing on the controller as you did for the address i.e. set a number 1-99 and press the + key. That number is sent to the LS150 as pulse duration, each 1 = 100mS. E.g. sending 30 = 3seconds.

Quotes from LS150 instructions, slightly abbreviated, to do the first output

1. Press the key and keep it pressed until LED shines continuously.... release key LED remains switched on.

2. Press key again for short moment LED starts to flash. 1x flash, break: output one is selected.......

3. Select the point address of the digital system.........proceed as if you want to switch the chosen point and press the corresponding key.

4. LED starts to flash.

5. You can now set the pulse duration.....Select a point address between 1 and 100, Proceed as if you want to switch the point. The LS150 takes the point address as duration.

6. LED starts to flash again.........

...............To complete the setting procedure press the key until the LED turns off.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Keiths last posting was a great help.

With that and a bit of fiddling about I've managed to set the pulse length.

To those of you who contacted me direct - thanks.

It's all in the wording of the LS150 manual and how the Compact manual doesn't have anything to help clarify the situation.

So - 'How to set up an LS150 with a Lenz Compact system'.

1 - Press the key on the LS150 and hold for 3 seconds - The LS150 Led should then be solid on then release the key

2 - Press the key again - The LS150 Led should flash once - indicating that accessory 1 has been selected

3 - On the Compact - Simultaneously press both the direction buttons to access the Sch screen menu

4 - On the Compact - Confirm the menu choice with the F0 button

5 - On the Compact - Accessory number 1 will automatically be selected

6 - On the Compact - Use the + and - buttons to select a number between 1 and 99 - the higher the number the longer the pulse duration from the LS150

NB - For Tortoise I've found that setting the pulse between 30 and 40 works fine.

7 - Confirm the menu choice with the F0 button.

That's the first one set!

The LS150 will have automatically moved on to select Accessory 2 - ready for you to repeat the process for each output from the LS150 that you are using.

The bit that isn't made clear for the Compact is step 7 - this is because you do this differently on the Compact than on other Lenz systems.

Now - time to run some trains!

Thanks to all for the input - got there in the end.

• RMweb Premium

Good to hear it works now.

I now recall I messed up the first time with the LH100 trying to set the pulse length LS150s, pressing the button again and stepping to the next output instead.

I then repeated the error on my first attempt at posting on how to do it the right way!

Keith

Archived