Bachmann's surprise release!

Stevelewis

We often bemoan the fact that it takes a L O N G time usually for new announcements to become available,

Well Bachmann have sprung a surprise on the 0n30 fraternity among whom I number myself!

Back in July they announced their new releases for the USA market, amongst which was an 0n30 2-4-4-2 Mallet loco, and it was listed as 'shipping NOW'

Many of us could not believe this to be correct, however the info was spot on and I am expecting one to arrive tomorrow, stock having arrived with UK dealers on the 22nd August!

It will be interesting to see if this is the start of a new trend, not to pre-announce new items before availabilty is imminent, ( somehow I dont think so!)

Interesting to note that an 0n30 Heisler loco was announced almost 2 years ago, that is still awaited!

Hopefully I will post a pic of the 2-4-4-2 when it arrives, but pics are on Bachmann's websites or Tower-Models site

• RMweb Premium

I remember this happening a few years ago with the On30 2 car Railbus. There were internet comments and even a photo published as they were for sale in Japan before the main stock had been delivered to USA. At one point even their own forum 'Ask the Bach-man' denied that it was one of their models as it hadn't been announced and they didn't know it was on a slow boat from China.

Regarding the Heisler, I understand that this was produced and delivered to USA but because of a quality issue (motor or gears?) the whole lot were rejected by Bachmann USA and the container was returned to Kader in China for repair/replacement - and of course Kader is the parent company of Bachmann. Now expected by the end of the year.

Mike

post-10539-0-40372900-1345800423.jpgpost-10539-0-83110900-1345800443.jpgpost-10539-0-41724100-1345800468.jpgpost-10539-0-67335800-1345800487.jpgThe 2-4-4-2 has arrived and here are some pics:

It is a little shorter than the 2-6-6-2 Mallet but interestingly the 2-4-4-2s tender is slightly longer than the 2-6-6-2s tender.

It comes with the usual additional alternative parts ( 3 alternative chimneys 6 alternative head/tender lights, Oil/Coal fuel load, alternative front pony truck etc)

The loco is sound ready speaker already fitted so it is simply a case of plugging in a 21 pin sound module when it arrives.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re the HEISLER according to latest info its now due MID OCTOBER we shall see!!

Thanks for posting some comparison pictures. Im guessing the tender is the same apart from what looks like a longer frame.

The quick release time must be because the engine uses atleast 80% of the same parts as the 2-6-6-2. The Porter and Heisler probably took longer than expected due to having features that are new to Bachmann. The porters being the first RTR sound engine not to have a conventional speaker and the Heisler having an all (?) metal drive train.

Personally with regards to the late models: I would rather that than be on time and break within a few weeks of buying one!

Can I also point out that the Heisler was announced at last years NMRA show, making it just over 1 year ago (even if it seems longer).

Im quite keen on getting myself one of these 2-4-4-2s. The solid pony trucks are a nice addition, as the 2-6-6-2 only came with spoked ones.

Tower models don't seem to know about the 18ft cars that were also annouced, which are said to be shipping in November.

I have 3 2-6-6-2s at the mo. 2 have solid pony wheels I seem to remember noting that that the included alternative parts supplied seemed to vary with type.

the 2-4-4-2 does come with spoked or solid pony truck wheelss in the box.

the 2-4-4-2 tender Frame is 10mm longer than the 2-6-6-2,, the 2-4-4-2 tender body is 5mm longer, the moulded coal load is longer on the 2-4-4-2 also.

The boiler length from smokebox to cab front is approx 18mm shorter and the cab roof to highest point ( excluding ventilator) is 2.5mm lower than the 2-6-6-2

Bachmann range of 18' Freight cars ( sold as twin packs) is listed on Tower Models website.

Interesting, my 2-6-6-2 (a sound fitted model) didn't come with solid pony trucks, and neither did a fellow club members, as he fitted it with a solid pony truck from another on30 loco

(2-8-0 I think). Maybe it was something added in a later batch?

Further inspection leads me to think the tender is the same as the one on the Outside Framed 4-4-0. All the features (body, frame, trucks, steps, light position) look the same from what I can see. I would have found it extreamly odd if they made a brand new tender.

On the subject of tenders, I would be very easy to make the 2-4-4-2 look like an Alco that was built for a railway in New Zealand by running it with a four wheeled tender. As someone who has a rather short layout, I think this is what I would do if/when I get one. I think the circuit boards would fit in a Backwoods Miniatures four wheel tender.

Unfortunately I can not find where the 18' Freight cars are listed on the Tower Models website. I would be Interested to see what price they intend to sell them for.

The 18' freight cars are listed at the top of the Freight car section, within the Bachmann section of the 0n30 section,

Prices range fromm £41 to £56 Per PAIR.

As a matter of interest I will couple one of my 2-6-6-2 sound locos tenders to the 2-4-4-2 later in theory it should work, I am curious to see what the loco looks like with a shorter tender, and if that is OK may pair the longer tender with the 2-6-6-2 and piggy back a spare Tsunami Sound decoder from a Shay in it! ( altering of course the sounds to make it sound like a Mallet!!)

• 4 months later...

As a matter of interest I will couple one of my 2-6-6-2 sound locos tenders to the 2-4-4-2 later in theory it should work, I am curious to see what the loco looks like with a shorter tender, and if that is OK may pair the longer tender with the 2-6-6-2 and piggy back a spare Tsunami Sound decoder from a Shay in it! ( altering of course the sounds to make it sound like a Mallet!!)

Steve, did you ever try the tender swap, and if so did the sound work ?

I assume this is the 2-4-4-2 I bought off you ?

Cheers - Nigel

Archived