Identify Type of Autocoach

I am trying to construct a model of Kerne Bridge station on the Ross to Monmouth railway.

This railway was operated with a 14xx driving a common or garden Autocoach most of the time.

I have a number of photos and video of an extra Autocoach added to the train in front of the original Autocoach. I am trying to identify the origins of this single window Autocoach so that I can endeavour to make a model of it. Please help.

post-16583-0-79412100-1345892216_thumb.jpg

post-16583-0-29814500-1345892233_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I think this is an diagram AA44 trailer. They were rebuilt from ordinary stock by BR in 1954 or 55. Comet have just brought out a kit:

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/

There's least one photo of one such trailer on the Ross line in the Bradford Barton album "Great Western Branch Line Steam 1".

More knowledgable people will surely be along soon to add or correct.

It could possibly be an A34...

I don't think so, A34 had recessed driver's doors whereas those in the pictures appear to have flush ones. A32 had more compartments. That could make it A33 or A44.

Nick

ps. what diagram is "a common or garden Autocoach"? :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

I am trying to construct a model of Kerne Bridge station on the Ross to Monmouth railway.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the project.

There's a great wealth of railway knowledge available on here. Just ask.

I'm building Symonds Yat and would also like to get one of the new Comet kits.

It's not an A32. THey were the same as E147 brake composites plus hte driver's door and end window and were associated with Oswestry for most of their lives.

It's not an A34 either. They had deeper windows and a different body profile as well as the recessed driver's door.

This leaves A33 and A44. There were two of the former, 4350 and 4361, which worked mainly between Berkely Road and Lydney until the Severn Bridge was clouted by a stray barge and partly collapsed. It is probable that they had 7 ft wb bogies. The bogies on the example pictured do not look like 7 ft wb. The A44s were converted to trailers in 1955 to work in South Wales. They carried numbers between W245W and W256W. W251W is not quite the same as the others as it received a new body following enemy action. Is there, I wonder, a way of enhancing the photographs so that the number can be read?

The "common or garden" trailer is either an A38 or an A43, built post-war. I believe that the differences between the diagrams relate to the interior layout.

Chris

Very functional looking, shows that the GWR took a lot of pride in what they built whereas it looks like someone in a BR workshop took out a saw and cut a hole in the end of a coach.

No, the GWR started the idea. A32/33/34 had similar 'holes' in the end and were all produced in the late 1930s, only A44 was done by BR.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Is there, I wonder, a way of enhancing the photographs so that the number can be read?

Chris

Having checked, the photo I referred to in my original response is taken from almost exactly the same position and the train formation is similarly 2 auto trailers and a 14xx. The number of the leading trailer in that shot is W254W as far as I can make out. The photo was taken at Ross on the last day of normal service, 3 January 1959.

The Hawksworth GWR/BR trailer accompanying the A44 is:

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/data/Catalog/images/W37_2.jpg

A regular on the line was 1445. Here with a 70' trailer in BR days:

http://www.ross-on-wye.com/images/places/ross/gwr/train_1445_sm.jpg

In earlier GWR days, with a 70' trailer:

http://www.ross-on-wye.com/images/places/ross/kerne_bridge/kerne_bridge_train.jpg

Archived