Flashing Lights on a Hornby class 50

Charlie

The loco in question is the weathered NSE liveried 'Achilles' bought from ebay as a non-runner. After finally managing to get some 8-pin blanking plates I ran it on our layout, a simple loop at present, to see if it really was a non-runner. It ran smoothly and reletively quietly though an oil is obviously needed. The problem is that although the directional lights light up correctly, the other lights flash like the loco is suddenly become an emergency vehicle. Anyone else come across this or have any idea why this might be?

Are the lighting units soldered onto the main board or are they ones that are plugged in?

If they plugged in or are on brass contacts try swapping the A & B end lighting units over. This would test if the problem is on the board or one of these units. Cheaper to replace a lighting unit if it's faulty than the main board.

If it has a faulty light unit perhaps replace the lot for Express Models lighting.

• 2 months later...

The loco in question is the weathered NSE liveried 'Achilles' bought from ebay as a non-runner. After finally managing to get some 8-pin blanking plates I ran it on our layout, a simple loop at present, to see if it really was a non-runner. It ran smoothly and reletively quietly though an oil is obviously needed. The problem is that although the directional lights light up correctly, the other lights flash like the loco is suddenly become an emergency vehicle. Anyone else come across this or have any idea why this might be?

I had the same problem with 50018....I found that the wheels/ contacts had to be kept clean before and after running to cure it....

Maybe some one else could chip in as I seem to remember the early Hornby 50's had problems with the mother boards when running on DCC ( chips blowing ).....

I'd try searching the Forum for this...

Regards

D421

Archived