RMweb

Creedyford

treggyman

Hi Bill

Your OTA's are looking fantastic, you are a expert with that airbrush, and they will look good with the logs in place.

Hi Ray

Thanks for the above comment.....

The spraying is the easy bit....

It's the masking & stopping paint running under the masking tape that I find difficult !!!!

Anyway it's worth the effort as you can get unique rolling stock....

Thanks again

Cheers Bill

Anything happening at Creedyford? Any Rats on Hoods? Any Clay Hoods? Any Clay trains?! :sungum:

Hi Reece

Sadly not a lot's been happening on Creedyford as time seems to be allocated elsewhere at the moment....

Modelling wise I've been messing about with an early Bachmann class 08.....But thats another story !!!!

I have started to fix some more station fencing & added some ivy to the Platelayers hut as well as digging out a base for it to sit in.....

Hopefully get more done this weekend & add some pictures.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Just a brief update....

Fitted the log loads to the OTA's & added straps.....

Still need to weather them to tone them down a bit & hide the few glimpses of green showing through...

A couple of pics....

post-7844-0-08151100-1394573426_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-15635100-1394573448_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-16789600-1394573472_thumb.jpg

I have also added some fencing on the platform & around the level crossing.....The pictures came out rubbish so I'll do some more & post

Cheers Bill

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

After a few days away & a dead computer a quick update......

Done a few odds to the layout scenically but spent some time renumbering/weathering one of my class 33's

When it came it was 33004 & the livery was all wrong.....

post-7844-0-49757500-1395695617_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-98480400-1395695681_thumb.jpg

Also it came with the buffing 'bars' for use with coaching stock & a combined hook/knuckle coupling.....

As far as I could see from pics I've seen 33 0's didn't have these at that time.......Also I never saw 33004 but I did take a couple of pictures of 33007......Identity sorted......

A respray of the roof , a renumber ,addition of pipes to one end & the fitting of a Hornby ex class 50 coupling & some weathering & it's nearly done.....

post-7844-0-39404300-1395696141_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-85495900-1395696218_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-58940200-1395696251_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-05926900-1395696292_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-20810900-1395696335_thumb.jpg

Just need to colour code the pipes etc & paint the lamp brackets yellow....

Cheers Bill

• Like 16

Hi Reece & Ray

Thanks for the above comments.....

I'm quite pleased with how the '33 looks.....

Although a lot of stock was filthy I like the grubby/working look as that's what the few pics I took at the time seem to show....

post-7844-0-32854100-1395782985_thumb.jpg

Below is a picture of '007 at Exeter Central in '86 plus a couple of '020 at Temple Meads in '87

'007 must have been a semi regular as I also photographed it at StDavids in '85

Cheers Bill

Edit to say that bottom pic is of 028

Edited by treggyman
  • Like 5

Hi,

nice to see a bit more news, was starting to get withdrawal symptons!

Spent part of the day sitting on a dead Colas 70 (fuel problems) at Banbury Jct waiting to take the driver of the DBS 67 used to assist back to the station. At least the photographers waiting at Leamington should have got an interesting shot if it was not to dark and miserable by the time it turned up.

All the best,

David.

• Like 1

Hi,

nice to see a bit more news, was starting to get withdrawal symptons!

Spent part of the day sitting on a dead Colas 70 (fuel problems) at Banbury Jct waiting to take the driver of the DBS 67 used to assist back to the station. At least the photographers waiting at Leamington should have got an interesting shot if it was not to dark and miserable by the time it turned up.

All the best,

David.

Hi David

A problem with too many other things demanding my time I'm afraid.....

At least you were rescued.....I didn't realise you were a driver....For some reason I had it in my mind you were a signalman.....

Thanks for the above comment & I hope progress will start to speed up a bit now

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill,

I'm not a driver, I'm a MOM (Mobile Operations Manager) wish that I had their pay! They tend to send me out to anything and everything just in case I can be useful. As I said to the driver, what I know about engines you can put on the back of a postage stamp. Fortunately the freight was in the loop so no delay on the main lines. I ended up taking one driver back to the station in the pickup as it is about a mile away. Also came in handy that we have a very big pair of bolt cutters in the back of the van as the maintenance side had put a combination padlock on the access gate without telling the operating side the combination or thinking that occasionally the train operating companies require access. I used to be a signalman and still work the boxes on odd occasions when they are short staffed. Otherwise it is various non technical inspections and attending incidents with a view to getting things on the move whilst the maintenance side repairs the faults. Not anywhere near as interesting as pre privatisation where we covered shunting and platform duties as required as well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

An update on progress...or lack of it.....

'Twas my sons birthday today so I've been doing one or two things for presents......

First was an upgrade of an original Bachmann Class 08.....It involved making & fitting new steps & handrails,renumbering, the addition of a new box on the running plate partial repainting (body & bufferbeam)& weathering....

I was going to post some pics but I either didn't take any or I've deleted them !!!!!!

Hopefully  he'll post some pics on his Penmouth thread.....

Also ,as Penmouth has a busy Postal /parcels service we were talking about Brutes & the available models/kits....

Having seen what was available from the trade in RTR & kit form I decided to have a go at scratchbuilding some......

Below are a series of pics of progress from raw material to finished article.....The quality of the pics isn't brilliant I'm afraid but I hope you get the idea.....

The basic material.....Metal mesh cut from a metal sieve.....This is framed with brass rod & glued to a plasticard base......

post-7844-0-70128700-1396556430_thumb.jpg

A coat of primer.....

post-7844-0-20362300-1396556469_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-35998100-1396556487_thumb.jpg

& finally a coat of faded rail blue

post-7844-0-01811900-1396556510_thumb.jpg

The wheels are made from slivers of brass tube & the 'couplings fro a loop of fine brass wire with the other coupling a bit of filed to shape square platsic rod.....

The end result looks quite effective when viewed at a normal viewing distance.....

Hopefully a pic or two placed on Penmouth will crop up soon......

Now no excuses.......Must get on with Creedyford......Unfortunately also so many domestic jobs as well......

• Like 3

Looks good Bill.

Got to put Tom sitting on one with his Camera, lunch and flask ;)

Cheers, Reece

Hi Reece

Thanks for the comment above....

I think something similar is in my sons mind though Tom would have been a bit young then.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Hi Reece

Thanks for the comment above....

I think something similar is in my sons mind though Tom would have been a bit young then.....

Cheers Bill

Maybe you'll have to put him in a pram then on this layout :)

Hi,

nice work on those Brutes. Something once so common but now almost completely disappeared. They had two different arrangement of curtains on the open side. Some had half curtains joined to one another with Velcro and the others had full width curtains with a bar at one end with lugs that slotted into brackets on the upright posts. We used to 'bump' them out of the vans at Barnstaple with its low platforms. Pull it to the van doors, step backwards onto the platform and then pull the Brute out of the van slowly whilst tryng to hold the end up as much as possible until the whole thing came out of the van with a crash. How  'Old man Boundy used to sleep in the station house with all the sound of crashing Brutes outside his house at 0430 in the morning I do not know. We did have ramps for loading the Brutes and no doubt we should have used them to unload them. Trouble was the brakes on them where pretty useless if not completely defective. You would not want to be on the downhill side of a heavy one with no brakes coming down a ramp and pushing them out you would find yourself clinging onto it at half a run unable to stop it. Mind you if you tried bumping one out of a van to quickly you would upend the whole thing. Not the best for fragile parcels! In the depths of winter after a brisk trip through thje countryside in a draughty parcels van the jarring of them as you dropped them out of the vans and then wheeling them around the station your hands would feel like stone. Course you could have worn gloves but hell thats for cissys!

• Like 5

Hi all above.....

Thanks for all the comments above regarding the brutes.....Most appreciated.....

Thanks to Eggesford Box for your description of working practice at Barnstaple.......

Like most people I'm  sure we did not appreciate how these trolley's were used & the dangers associated...I had assumed they were just used for transporting parcels etc around on a flat platform until I did some research into the subject & although I knew they were transported in vans had not thought about the potential difference in height between the van & platform......

Gloves......Certainly for Cissys.....

They are not a rivet counter's model but they do look the part & as bobster says the principle works for most scales.....

The hardest part is accurately cutting the steel mesh......Don't use SWMBO's best scissors!!!!!!!

Cheers Bill

• Like 6

They are not a rivet counter's model but they do look the part & as bobster says the principle works for most scales.....

Not sure if BRUTEs used rivets... the ones I've seen were welded construction with nut and bolt to hold the wheels on :)

Hi All

The weather was rubbish this morning so I got on with making a box to carry the traverser on the roof of the landrover......

I've previously shown how full the landrover is with the rest of the layout in the back......

On it's first show  it was raining so my son took the traverser to Hayle show in his car & as it was dry for the return trip I tied it down to the roofrack ......

The key being that Hayle is only 10 miles or so away......On a longer trip this would not be practical !!!!

The afternoon cleared up so outdoor jobs beckoned......

This evening I gave the inside a coat of primer....Tomorrow a coat of undercoat....& through the week a couple coats of gloss......Once finished the inside won't be accessible so it has to be done now......

Then the exterior will have the same treatment.....

Tomorrow hopefully I shall be able to spend a bit more time 'scenicing 'the layout.....

The other set of flashing lights for the level crossing have finally arrived so they need fitting......A load of grass needs adding plus more trees & bushes a gate & some cattle & sheep & passengers.....................The list of 'final' touches seems endless!!!!!

Watch this space......

So far three shows this year......The Falmouth Club's 'Gig' held at Helston's old market at the end of this month , Barnstaple show at the end of July & Hayle at the end of August all of which I'm really looking forward to.....So if you're around say hello......

Pics to follow when progress is made....

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Next outing is at Helston next weekend......

Been adding odds & ends of detail over the last day or two......Will post a pic or two over the weekend......

However, the main job over the last couple of weeks has been to make a box in which to transport the traverser......

The last time it was transported it was roped to the roofrack......Fine if it's not raining!!!!!!

Well finally finished it today apart from one more coat of gloss to the top.....

A few pics of it on the roofrack......The underside has rails running parallel to the roof bars so although tied on it will be impossible for it to slide forward.....The flap folds down on to some draught excluder to form a weatherproof seal & it is clipped front & back to hold the flap shut

post-7844-0-94262900-1397848060_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-13019500-1397848082_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-70075200-1397848114_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-26412300-1397848146_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I made the opening EXACTLY the same size as the traverser......Only noticed today......So had to trim the end off the traverser to get it to fit inside

post-7844-0-43677000-1397848603_thumb.jpg

Well at least it now fits.....

post-7844-0-75819900-1397848658_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-12936300-1397848683_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-29787700-1397848709_thumb.jpg

All I now have to do is to realign the track to the traverser & maybe fill the 20mm gap that I had to remove to get it to fit in the box!!!!

The good thing is that I can now adapt Penhallick Junction into a roundy roundy which will improve that layouts flexibility & operational interest......

Also went to my local model railway emporium to buy some bits & pieces to add to the scene.....Watch this space......

Cheers Bill

• Like 8