Haymarket 64B

landscapes

14 minutes ago, 60027Merlin said:

No K1s were ever based there and were very rare in Edinburgh. When going south from the west they would have gone round the Suburban line to avoid going through The Waverley Station which was too busy for through freight traffic thus avoiding going past 64B. The K1s in the north east of England were based at Blaydon whose freight work mainly went west and south as the northern freight turns would have been from either Heaton or Gateshead locos..

However, as you note still no photos of them here!

Thanks Eric

I thought that was the case, as I said I just like the K1 model, I suppose it was an impulse buy.

Regards

David

Hi

Just to confirm I have manage to find a black & White photograph of K1 Class No 62002 standing on Haymarket East yard, the caption say's it was taken in 1951, looking at the buildings in the background I am pretty sure it is possibly Haymarket.

The photo is on the RCTS "Railway Correspondence and Travel Society's" Website.

Regards

David

• Like 4

A4 60009 Union of South Africa waiting to leave Haymarket MPD.

A standard Hornby RTR A4 which I renamed and numbered from 60031 Golden Plover as i refused to pay the ridiculous prices required for Hornby's commonwealth collection version of 60009.

And A4 No 60009 is a must for any Haymarket layout, the only mistake is the electric warning signs that would not have been on the loco in the 1958/9 period.

I must try to remove them some time.

Regards

David

60009_IMG_0752B_edited-1.jpg

• Like 17

Getting away from the Pacific's, two J83 Class locomotives about to leave the MPD.

This class of locomotive I believe was used at both ends of Waverley Station on empty carriage duties and other workings

Both of these are Hornby RTR and quite frankly are bloody awful models but to have two kit built versions at this time is out of the question maybe later on when most of the outstanding works and costs to the layout are completed and funds are available.

Both locomotive have had addition details to them to try and improve them as much as possible.

Regards

David

68472_IMG_0779B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
spelling
  • Like 14

Tonights photo we see A2/3 60511 Airborne passing Haymarket on its way to Waverley Station, the MPD had borrowed it to take an express further north and we see it on it's return.

A RTR GKing/Bachmann A2 conversion.

Regards

David

60511_IMG_0796B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Spelling
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
On 30/08/2022 at 22:34, landscapes said:

Tonights photo we see A2/3 60511 Airborne passing Haymarket on its way to Waverley Station

David,

As always, weathering is first class, it may be the effect of the light but the hue of the valve gear and cylinders has that "emulsified oil" look that I well remember....

Those poor J83's in the backround look a bit sad after your harsh comments earlier!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 30368 said:

David,

As always, weathering is first class, it may be the effect of the light but the hue of the valve gear and cylinders has that "emulsified oil" look that I well remember....

Those poor J83's in the backround look a bit sad after your harsh comments earlier!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

Thank you for your comments, the valve gear and cylinders are finished with dry brushing using Humbrol metelcote 27004.

Regarding the J83’s Harsh comments, maybe  but they do lack any detail.

If ever a model locomotive was due for an upgrade or re-tooling then that’s the one in my opinion.

Regards

David

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/09/2022 at 21:52, landscapes said:

If ever a model locomotive was due for an upgrade or re-tooling then that’s the one in my opinion.

Hi David,

Until that happens, there is always the 52F Models version of the J83. Maybe a good starting point for building a kit loco?

image.png.91551c5a7184b547114f173b70d56ed3.png

Kind regards,

Richrd B

PS I HAVE JUST NOTICED SOME OF THE COMMENTS SEEM TO SUGGEST THAT I BUILT THIS MODEL. I DID NOT! I WAS SUGGESTING TO DAVID THAT THIS MAY BE A GOOD STARTER MODEL FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS NOT BUILT A LOCO KIT! THE IMAGE IS FROM THE 52F WEBSITE. SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION.

RB

Edited by 30368
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 30/08/2022 at 22:34, landscapes said:

Tonights photo we see A2/3 60511 Airborne passing Haymarket on its way to Waverley Station, the MPD had borrowed it to take an express further north and we see it on it's return.

A RTR GKing/Bachmann A2 conversion.

Regards

David

When borrowed northbound, she would have gone as far as Dundee Tay bridge and been replaced. A lay-over on shed (very often the Caledonian shed was used for this) and then been an engine change for an up express. 

Also - just for info, it was very common for up expresses from Aberdeen to have the restaurant car next to the engine.

Lovely work

John

• Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, sulzer27jd said:

When borrowed northbound, she would have gone as far as Dundee Tay bridge and been replaced. A lay-over on shed (very often the Caledonian shed was used for this) and then been an engine change for an up express. 

Also - just for info, it was very common for up expresses from Aberdeen to have the restaurant car next to the engine.

Lovely work

John

Hi John

Thank you for your kind comments and the information on loco workings and train formations, that will be very helpful to me and much appreciated.

Regards

David

6 hours ago, 30368 said:

Hi David,

Until that happens, there is always the 52F Models version of the J83. Maybe a good starting point for building a kit loco?

image.png.91551c5a7184b547114f173b70d56ed3.png

Kind regards,

Richrd B

Hi Richard

First you comment on my harsh comments regarding the Hornby J83 then you torment me with that image.

But serious that’s an absolute stunning model so much detail and makes the Hornby version I have look even more inferior.

I have had this conversation with Tony Wright before regarding locomotive kit building I just feel it’s a step to far for me.

But after looking at that image if the J83 I may just investigate what would be involved in costs and making up the kit.

Thank you for posting the photo.

Best Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, landscapes said:

But after looking at that image if the J83 I may just investigate what would be involved in costs and making up the kit.

Sorry David!

I agree with micklner, a whitemetal kit is an easier step to make than a brass kit. I am not aware of a whitemetal kit for a J83, that does not mean there is not one available, perhaps Mick can advise on who made one?

Another thought, and I don't have the detailed knowledge of the J83, if you do build a kit, take a good look at the Hornby models and see how you can improve them to get them closer to the kit based version. It is surprising what you can do with thin brass sheet, wire and plasticard. If I recall, you have detailed some of your loco models?

Hope you have a shot at it.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368

• RMweb Premium

David,

GEM did a whitemetal kit for the J83 in the 70s and no doubt there will be some still available in second hand areas and possibly some still unbuilt as so many kits purchased have never been started!

Here is one along with a Mainline J72.

Eric

1640178685_J8368481J7269014(8).JPG.a27fd892dda5af89e06a2841883e2eec.JPG

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

39 minutes ago, 60027Merlin said:

David,

GEM did a whitemetal kit for the J83 in the 70s and no doubt there will be some still available in second hand areas and possibly some still unbuilt as so many kits purchased have never been started!

Here is one along with a Mainline J72.

Eric

1640178685_J8368481J7269014(8).JPG.a27fd892dda5af89e06a2841883e2eec.JPG

Hi Eric

Thank you, a big improvement on the Hornby model.

I do regularly scan EBay just in case a kit built version comes up I will continue to monitor the second hand markets.

Regards

David

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Sorry David!

I agree with micklner, a whitemetal kit is an easier step to make than a brass kit. I am not aware of a whitemetal kit for a J83, that does not mean there is not one available, perhaps Mick can advise on who made one?

Another thought, and I don't have the deatailed knowledge of the J83, if you do build a kit, take a good look at the Hornby models and see how you can improve them to get them closer to the kit based version. It is surprising what you can do with thin brass sheet, wire and plasticard. If I recall, you have detailed some of your loco models?

Hope you have a shot at it.

Kind regards,

Richard B

When I said cheap I meant anything to simply "cut your teeth on".

I did'nt know about the GEM J83 kit that is now mentioned.  GEM are about as horrible you can get in old kits !!. I have beaten a LNER D21 into shape , luckily there is nothing else from GEM of interest to me.   Phew !!.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Mick,

Just for your info.

The GEM kits produced in the early 70s, certainly for the North British Railway classes were OK, but as was the case then, a lot of kits were altered measurement wise to suit a ready to run chassis. For example the D34 Glen and D30 Scott classes were designed to fit the Triang L1 chassis which have a 10 foot wheelbase whereas the proper length is 9 foot 6 inches. This meant that the body was stretched out by 2mm. I have no knowledge of their other kits so cannot comment on them.

Their castings very clean and whilst short on small detail, if you so desired, you could add quite a bit more plus pipework etc. which improved the look. I think that all of us kit builders of that generation in the 60s and 70s started on whitemetal loco bodies on r-t-r chassis and also changing all the wheels to Romfords which once again improved the look. I still have a few of them running fine on the layout now and again, frightening how the time goes in though!

For us in Scotland modelling the local scene, George Mellor was a godsend as he produced the J83, J36, D30, D34 and Atlantic for the North British Railway. As the first four of these lasted until the late 50s/early 60s (and later for the J36) that suited us here really well.

It is still a bit of a mystery as to why the D34 Glen and D30 Scott have never been produced by the r-t-r  manufacturers as apart from the driving wheel diameter ( plus either smaller/bigger splashers) and some internal differences they were identical, therefore two popular classes for the price of one with attractive names. I have recently put some photos of the D34s and D30s on the layout postings showing named locos after

some of  Sir Walter Scott’s characters from his novels and poems and the GEM locos are there along with the newer PDK versions.

The worst quality of kit I purchased in these far off days and which defeated me was the MTK Standard 5 which was binned within a week!

Eric

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 60027Merlin said:

Mick,

Just for your info.

The GEM kits produced in the early 70s, certainly for the North British Railway classes were OK, but as was the case then, a lot of kits were altered measurement wise to suit a ready to run chassis. For example the D34 Glen and D30 Scott classes were designed to fit the Triang L1 chassis which have a 10 foot wheelbase whereas the proper length is 9 foot 6 inches. This meant that the body was stretched out by 2mm. I have no knowledge of their other kits so cannot comment on them.

Their castings very clean and whilst short on small detail, if you so desired, you could add quite a bit more plus pipework etc. which improved the look. I think that all of us kit builders of that generation in the 60s and 70s started on whitemetal loco bodies on r-t-r chassis and also changing all the wheels to Romfords which once again improved the look. I still have a few of them running fine on the layout now and again, frightening how the time goes in though!

For us in Scotland modelling the local scene, George Mellor was a godsend as he produced the J83, J36, D30, D34 and Atlantic for the North British Railway. As the first four of these lasted until the late 50s/early 60s (and later for the J36) that suited us here really well.

It is still a bit of a mystery as to why the D34 Glen and D30 Scott have never been produced by the r-t-r  manufacturers as apart from the driving wheel diameter ( plus either smaller/bigger splashers) and some internal differences they were identical, therefore two popular classes for the price of one with attractive names. I have recently put some photos of the D34s and D30s on the layout postings showing named locos after

some of  Sir Walter Scott’s characters from his novels and poems and the GEM locos are there along with the newer PDK versions.

The worst quality of kit I purchased in these far off days and which defeated me was the MTK Standard 5 which was binned within a week!

Eric

My LNER D21 was sourced via ebay and was a wreck on arrival. It was also designed around the L1 chassis, with the same problems. I modified a Comet D49 chassis to fit mine .

Never built a MTK kit, I wasnt impressed with the one PDK kit I have built, and sold on, it did'nt like corners.