DCC Controller?

cornishmick

Hi i have just started out in DCC and have a Hornby DCC Select controller but it only has a 8 Function Controls and as i have a Class 57 Freightlinner DCC Sound which has 10 functions and i can only use up to 8 of them.

Could someone tell me what is the best controller with up to 15 Function controls i can get and roughly how much it will cost

Thanks Mike

Mike,

Most DCC controllers will go up to 20 Functions, and many will go up to 28 Functions.

When it comes to using the functions, the ideal controller is one that allows you to operate a function immediately, i.e. with only one button press, or at most two.

However, a new controller is not cheap, and you shouldn't buy one just to satisfy your immediate needs. So please can I give you some general advice.

Decide what you want now from a new controller, but also try to think ahead as to what you might want to add in the future. This is important as whilst almost all decoders will work with almost every controller, there is much less interchangeability between controllers and extra controller related items, e.g. extra throttles, occupancy detection, Railcom, kit, etc.

If the controller that you like can't do all that you want now, but the manufacturer is promising to add a feature or accessory that you must have, do not let that promise sway you towards buying that particular controller. Manufacturers can, and do, change their plans which would leave you with a controller that will never give you your "must have" feature.

Never buy a controller without first trying it out. They are expensive and you don't want to buy on someone else's recommendation only to find out that what they think is the bees knees is a real pain for you.

So I don't think that I, nor anyone else can tell you which is "the best controller" for you. We can tell you what we use, what we personally like and dislike. But only you can decide which is best for you as only you know what you need now and what you may want in the future.

I have an ECoS, an excellent, but very,very, expensive piece of kit. It is intuitive to use, but you do need to read the manual properly to get the best out of it. It has instant access to the first 16 functions, with access to the remainder easily done by one touch swapping to the function lists for Function 17 and above, Within each function list it has instant access to all the functions in that list or menu. It has pictograms or icons attached to each function to remind you what each function does. I find that the pictograms are especially useful as they remind me what each function does without having to look it up for each loco. Very useful if you have more than just a handful of sound locos.

But whatever you choose, "Always Try Before You Buy".

Mike, I think Keith pretty much summed everything up. I will stress though "TEST DRIVE" every system you can before buying.

Keith's statement should be automatically placed on every "what DCC" thread. So I don't think that I, nor anyone else can tell you which is "the best controller" for you. We can tell you what we use, what we personally like and dislike. But only you can decide which is best for you as only you know what you need now and what you may want in the future.

I will add a couple of other things you should consider.

• availability of parts, supplies and repairs. Its not a lot of fun having your DCC system take an extended holiday overseas if something goes wrong.
  • What are your friends or local modellers using? Having people nearby with the same system is always helpful.
  • Futureproofing. Is the system you choose made by someone with a history of orphaning older designs, or someone that designs for backward compatibility. (in my case I can still use the throttles and boosters I bought in 1994, albeit the throttles have limited functions)
  • Spend some time with a crystal ball and try to think about what you want to do modelling wise over the next few years. A Brand X mini-system may satisfy your current needs but will it end up gathering dust with your Select when you decide to add signalling or advanced automation?
  • Look at computer interface compatibility and cost. Being able to plug your DCC system into a computer running JMRI is something you should really consider as a high importance. Even if you only ever use the Decoder Pro modules. Its also a good and usually cheaper route to wireless control. Try to avoid closed box systems like MRC.
  • Have fun with it.

When it comes to using the functions, the ideal controller is one that allows you to operate a function immediately, i.e. with only one button press, or at most two.

Mike, just to add to what Keith has said about function operation.

The ability to operate a function with just one touch, or button press is very useful, especially with sound equipped models.

It's often referred to as unlatched, i.e. pressing the button is momentary.

For example, if you just want to sound a whistle or horn, or coupling clank, the ideal is to press a button (or touch on touch screen), just like beeping the horn on a car or ringing a doorbell.

Some systems provide this one-press/touch feature.

Unfortunately quite a number of DCC system (controllers) don't have that function (or only have it on a single fixed function) and you have to switch each function both on and then off again after the sound or function is activated.

At best it's two button presses, on and off.

At worst, you may be required to select the function mode, then the function, switch it on, switch it off and then exit to loco mode !!!! 4 or 5 button presses just to toot the whistle or make another sound. IMHO that's a load of Rubbish !

The lack of the unlatching / momentary capability afflicts a few of the makes often recommended on here and other forums.

Thankfully there are a few systems that allow just one button press or touch on any function you choose (selectable for each loco stored in the system's memory).

Of course, function operation is just one aspect of the usability of "controller" and there are other equally important aspects to consider; but overlook how the function control works and you may end up regretting your choice.

• RMweb Gold

I agree with what others above have said aswell.

One thing with apps on smartphones is that you will get all the possible functions on screen and normally you can label these for each individual decoder so picking a system that allows for an interface to a smartphone has some big advantages should you choose to go down that route.

I have only used the JMRI software (which is free to downlaod and use) along with Engine Driver app for Android phones and Wi Throttle for iphones ipods and ipads, so I cant comment on other wireless smartphone interfaces.

It normally works fine and is normally easy to set up but it can also be another layer of hassle if it does not work properly.

Mike, just to add to what Keith has said about function operation.

The ability to operate a function with just one touch, or button press is very useful, especially with sound equipped models.

It's often referred to as unlatched, i.e. pressing the button is momentary.

For example, if you just want to sound a whistle or horn, or coupling clank, the ideal is to press a button (or touch on touch screen), just like beeping the horn on a car or ringing a doorbell.

Some systems provide this one-press/touch feature.

Unfortunately quite a number of DCC system (controllers) don't have that function (or only have it on a single fixed function) and you have to switch each function both on and then off again after the sound or function is activated.

At best it's two button presses, on and off.

At worst, you may be required to select the function mode, then the function, switch it on, switch it off and then exit to loco mode !!!! 4 or 5 button presses just to toot the whistle or make another sound. IMHO that's a load of Rubbish !

The lack of the unlatching / momentary capability afflicts a few of the makes often recommended on here and other forums.

Thankfully there are a few systems that allow just one button press or touch on any function you choose (selectable for each loco stored in the system's memory).

Of course, function operation is just one aspect of the usability of "controller" and there are other equally important aspects to consider; but overlook how the function control works and you may end up regretting your choice.

Ron,

Your point about momentary and latching operation is very well made, and I hadn't thought of it at all.

I was actually thinking abut how you get the button to work in the first place. Is there a physical button on the handset or console, or a virtual button on a touch screen, that you can press or touch to operate the function irrespective of whether it is latching or momentary operation? Or do you have to press another button first to activate the buttons or to call up the functions/buttons screen.

Also, if you have pressed the button and it is of the latching type, how can you tell if the function it controls is now On or Off? Is there a tell-tale or key to show which functions are on and which are off. If the button controls a sound then you should be able to hear the sound if it's turned on. But not every function will be sound related or give immediate visible feedback as to what the decoder and loco are now doing.

As most controllers have no more than 10 physical buttons dedicated to operating the Functions. how do you then get to operate Functions above 10. Is it another button press to get to, say, functions 11 to 20, a 3rd press to get to 21 to 28, and yet another to get back to 1 to 10 or what? You may never have any loco that uses functions 21 to 28, but do you really want to cycle through it each time to get back to Functions 1-10? It's details like these that matter as if they bother you they can make an otherwise enjoyable controller a PITA to use.

Archived