Limby 33 upgrades

Why on earth use a Limby 33 when Hattons are offering Heljan 33's for just £58? My only answer is that I have a Dcc-fitted Railroad 33 sitting in front of me and it was bought when Kernow's version was the only green 33 available at almost £100 - in other words I am a cheapskate.

However what can be done with the Limby 33? I guess that there are more than a few upgraded examples that all had hours of work spent on them - this will be no exception. I want to create an early steam transition era green model.

So few questions:

What is best way of installing Kadee's?

Headcodes - what is best solution?

Other essential improvments?

Tim

There was a Monty Wells article on the class 33 in (IIRC) the October/November 1984 issues of the Railway Modeller.

He corrected the roof fan (the Lima one is too small), modified the exhaust to be the later type (which you won't want to do) and fitted the usual handrails/pipes/wipers etc. The one thing he didn't tackle was the too narrow front windows and airhorn cover.

Hi Tim

There was an article a short while ago in the Hornby Mag (not to hand so can't advise which issue which covers this too. They used the Craftsman Models detail sey which includes a lot of what was used and is fairly reasonably priced, I bought one from their site and it looks quite good although I have not had time to do any of it yet.

Hope this helps all the best

Chris

Hi Tim

I recommend the Craftsman Kit, very useful. Also SE Finecast for their flushglaze pack and I think the Railroad 33 has NEM pockets so the #17 - #20 range of Kadees will just plug in.

Headcodes possibly Replica, Fox or Modelmaster?

Hope this helps

Joe

If it did, I would not have asked.

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Phil Parker (who is on this forum, I think) detailed the Railroad 33 in the June 2011 issue of Hornby Magazine using the Craftsman kit. I don't have the article to hand, but there is a photo here:

http://philsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=33

He produced his own headcodes which are available as a pdf download from his blog.

Archived