Porthcawl Trackplan

Danemouth

In the interesting Minories Thread http://www.rmweb.co....ck-plan-wanted/ mention was made of Porthcawl being a three platform station.

With my liking of terminus stations in seaside towns I would really like to see a trackplan - I've tried Google but that turned nothing up.

Can anybody help please?

Incidentally as a boy in the 1950s I remember going to Porthcawl on the train - we changed at Pyle on the mainline and transferred to an autotrain - the engine was in the middle of the train IIRC two coaches in front and two behind?? - goodness that's at least 55 years ago!

Many thanks,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Think Porthcawl is in one of the "Historical Surveys of the Great Western" series. I will have a look. Can copy and e-mail if you like (for private use only as it is out-of-print).

Became 3-platform - mainly for excursion traffic - after a rebuild. Not a particularly attractive station.

To confirm, it's featured in Vol IV, pages 133 - 5.

Rebuilt version is only shown as a signalling diagram but there are several photos of the 1916 rebuilt station.

Thanks for the reply; looking on Amazon I can see "Historical Survey of the Great Western" by R.H. Clark Vols 1 to 3 (indeed I have Vol.2)

Volume 4 is by C.R. Potts and is to be published in 2013 - unless I go for a secondhand copy.

Am I looking at the right book please?

The station was certainly unattractive but it's the track layout that interests me,

Many thanks,

Dave

Lots of aerial views here http://www.britainfr...earch=porthcawl

I don't think there are copyright issues with images from Britain From Above, so how about this? On the site you can zoom in on the railway bits.

John,

Thanks for the link; interesting pictures - I will give them a detailed look this evening,

Regards,

Dave

What the SRS diagram doesn't show is that the station had a large triangle (for turning locos presumably) at one side of the station - you can just about make it out in this photo.

Found a book today that says the triangle was the line to the gasworks which closed in 1953.

Regards,

Dave

Looking at old-maps.co.uk, the triangle seems to have lasted until the mid-1960s - indicating that the end of the triangle was modified after the gasworks were closed. Difficult to imagine what else it could have been kept for, except loco turning - but my guess, rather than fact ;)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the reply; looking on Amazon I can see "Historical Survey of the Great Western" by R.H. Clark Vols 1 to 3 (indeed I have Vol.2)

Volume 4 is by C.R. Potts and is to be published in 2013 - unless I go for a secondhand copy.

Am I looking at the right book please?

The station was certainly unattractive but it's the track layout that interests me,

Many thanks,

Dave

C.R. Potts indeed. I don't think that I had even noticed the change of author. My copy dates from 1985. Good to see that they are being reprinted as very useful series of books for modellers.

• RMweb Gold

If South Wales termini (at least for timetabled passenger services) appeal, take a look at Penygraig - also in Vol 4 (pg 122). Narrow trackplan set on a ledge on the hillside.

In reality it was served by Pannier tanks and 14xx/48xx tanks with autocoaches. But it would make a great setting for the Hornby 42xx and 72xx.

If South Wales termini (at least for timetabled passenger services) appeal, take a look at Penygraig - also in Vol 4 (pg 122). Narrow trackplan set on a ledge on the hillside.

In reality it was served by Pannier tanks and 14xx/48xx tanks with autocoaches. But it would make a great setting for the Hornby 42xx and 72xx.

Thanks for the info; I will have a look,

Regards,

Dave

Archived