BRM October 2012

Dicky W

Morning

Chris has beaten me to it with the video (I'm sad that it no longer features the 1980s cop show music!) but here's what's in the next magazine. There's also an introduction to DCC supplement and Bachmann have added-in a copy of their summer catalogue which features some interesting new releases (I'm sure you will know more after the Bachmann event on Sunday at the Great Central Railway).

post-1481-0-17353400-1346404803_thumb.jpg post-1481-0-60197600-1346404821_thumb.jpg

post-1481-0-86039600-1346404834_thumb.jpg post-1481-0-81776400-1346404843_thumb.jpg

Regards, Richard

• Administrators

Hi all,

Just to let you know that the Digital Edition of BRM's October issue is now live. For more info on how to purchase a Digital Edition, please click here: https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/information/BRM_digital_editions

Here are a few benefits of buying BRM as a Digital Magazine:

* It saves you money! A single issue of BRM as a digital magazine is just £2.49, whilst the printed magazine is £3.75. Subscription packages are even cheaper.

* Extra images! We've added additional 'Picture Galleries' into some of the layout articles. When you click on any of these 'Galleries' a new image replaces the old image.

* Live website links. When a website link is included in editorial, we've made it 'live'. All you need to do is click on the link and you'll be taken to the relevant web page.

* Zoom function. It's easy to zoom into text to make it easier to read. It's also a great function for when you want extra detail from the imagery.

* High quality images. Check out the quality of the images on a computer/iPad screen - they are superb!

If you haven't tried BRM as a Digital Edition there is a FREE sample magazine available to download. If you want to find out what's in the latest issue, please click here to watch our Next Month video: http://bit.ly/R0RTuS

We all hope you like the magazine! We've just received our office copies and feel it's a great issue!!!!!

Steve

I recently subscribed to the digital version of BRM and I'm very happy with the latest edition EXCEPT there is only one supplement. what happened to the Bachmann Summer Announcements supplement ????

There's no advantage to subscribing to the digital issue if you don't get all the supplements : (

Regards

Veronica.

• Administrators

Hi all,

Thanks for making me aware. I'll get on the case and get the supplement uploaded. This is likely to be first thing tomorrow morning though, but don't worry it will automatically update for anyone who has already purchased the magazine.

Steve

I realise that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I would have thought that the content and quality of the articles was more important than the placing of adverts. If every second page had an advert it would be disruptive but I don't mind the current layout.

Regards

Veronica.

I realise that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I would have thought that the content and quality of the articles was more important than the placing of adverts. If every second page had an advert it would be disruptive but I don't mind the current layout.

Regards

Veronica.

If it was the odd page I would possibly put up with it but as http://www.rmweb.co....-brm-june-2012/ says, but it still is not the odd page so as I say I won't be bying anymore BRM

That was back in May when there was a period of evolution happening. There are some ad pages in between articles but it's not over the top and I don't think it's fair to trumpet an opinion based on how something was 5 months ago. The editorial team listened to feedback and reacted accordingly.

• RMweb Gold

This will be my last BRM as it still has adverts dotted about in the editoril pages

Seems like a great way to save money on model railway magazines as apart from MRJ and the 'Railway Modeller' the October issue of BRM has fewer adverts between editorial pages than either 'Model Rail' or 'Hornby Magazine' - so presumably they are also off your list?

October 2012 issues (not counting any 'blocks' of advertising pages which appear between contents page and the first page of editorial content - RM 33, and BRM 6) -

RM has 3 pages of advertising within the editorial section,

BRM has 9 pages

MR has 13 pages

HM has 19 pages

The figures include 'self and associated' promotions - for example limited edition models and sponsored shows etc - but they are still advertisements and not editorial copy. So I can see significant savings if you are intending to now buy only the one magazine out of the mainstream four but at least that will leave one Editor with a smile on his face ;) .

• Administrators

We are trying to significantly reduce the number of advertising pages placed between editorial - the vast majority of our adverts are either at the front or back of the magazine, as a direct result of customer feedback. The occassional feature is 5 or 7 pages, so the odd page will be taken up with a house advert or, if required, a general advert. We do, whenever possible, try to make features 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10 pages in length.

Anyway, I hope you guys like the latest issue.

Steve and the BRM Team

Picked mine up today and thought that it looked interestingly laid out after a brief scan through. I admit that it took me a few minutes to find it; recently it's been put in "pride of place" so to speak in those little shelf hanging tubs at the front. It was still there but I just didn't see it... because it was in a bag.

Yes, I know. And I'm not making any comments about that. It's not the only normally unbagged mag to be bagged this month... but the add-ons are a useful read too.

I'll get my coat!

Jon

If it was the odd page I would possibly put up with it but as http://www.rmweb.co....-brm-june-2012/ says, but it still is not the odd page so as I say I won't be bying anymore BRM

The more I've thought on this the more it's bugged me. Warners/BRM/MRL/RMweb/MI adds up to a substantial proposition for readers, some in print and some online in terms of content in comparison to alternative publications and we're working hard at moving forward but it's made even harder if people make or are led to make decisions based on fallible opinions.

Yesterday I bought a bagged copy of Model Rail in the local Barnes and Noble. I'm glad it was bagged otherwise I'd never see the additional bits here in the 'States.

Same with BRM. I dunno why but it has often been the "whipping boy" of correspondence on here, personally I always found it intelligent and not as condescending to its readership as some of the British mags have been from time to time in the past.

I have no fiscal connection with it or the publisher, of course.

Best, Pete.

I have not purchased BRM for a while however I have purchased the latest edition after reading M5! I was little perturbed by it being bagged however it was the Goods Warehouse article which drew my attention as I am looking at buildings architecture for my Croxley WRD extension.

Currently it appears the bar is been raised on an almost monthly basis in most of the Model Railway Magazines and BRM is no exception. The layout of the magazine has a very professional look about it with not over Photoshopped photos. The content has something for most modellers with the product reviews being very useful - the budget stay alive decoders being of particular interest to me

I certainly will be purchasing further copies if BRM in the future if it is to this standard

XF

• RMweb Gold

The more I've thought on this the more it's bugged me. Warners/BRM/MRL/RMweb adds up to a substantial proposition for readers, some in print and some online in terms of content in comparison to alternative publications and we're working hard at moving forward but it's made even harder if people make or are led to make decisions based on fallible opinions.

Hence my rather waspish comment above. It seems to me odd that adverse comment should be made without ascertaining the facts although I can understand that 9 pages of ads might sometimes be too much for some people. But overall it's still considerably less than seems to pass without comment, and be readily accepted, in some other magazines. To sweepingly condemn without consideration of the current general situation, let alone the comparative one, is not perhaps the best way forward.

The fact is that two of the mainstream mags moved towards ads among editorial pages some time ago but there were no complaints about it voiced on here (to my recollection). In contrast Warners/BRM have offered a very open forum to discuss the changes being made to BRM - something which is more immediate than the 'Letters' pages and more instantaneous and open than other forms of communication. That in itself struck me as a brave, and good, approach as changes are taking place to reinvigorate the title and its acceptance in the marketplace and, as Andy has said, we now get a darned good overall 'offer' from Warners.

Fair enough if folk don't like ads among editorial content but BRM has responded and reduced to them to a level below that of some other mags - the situation now is very different from the trial period of some months ago and - as the numbers show - better in absolute terms than that of those other mags.

Picked up my copy of BRM today and one of best issues for a while. slightly ironically though given the posts on here - my copy was in a sealed bag but MINUS the Bach supplement and I didn't notice due to being in a bag... :-). I guess even bagging them doesn't make infallible! However given quality am seriously considering a sub now...

Steve, I'm very interested in the serialised soldering feature by Adrian Marks - I saw a preview (?) about safety from a link somewhere that I've lost now. It looks quite well thought out so far. How can I gain access to just this particular content? Is it possible without buying the whole magazine or e-zine?*

*Very willing to pay something towards it though.

Steve

Archived