BRM October 2012

Dicky W

• RMweb Premium

I had a leaf through a copy one of the Black Country Blues (BCB) team brought to our last meeting. Had a good read of John's (Old Gringo) article on BCB and now have a good idea what it is we're building! I note that the opening line blames some poor chap (me) for starting off the BCB project by entering the competition... I don't know, you try to do people a favour and this is how they replay you ;-p

Jesting aside, the next article in the series has been penned by Damian (Indomitable026). It will cover construction of the boards and support system but don't worry, there's lots of photos. (and no he didn't use 2x1 and softboard)

All in all, despite being branded as BRM by association with the BCB project, I think I'm still objective enough to say that the mag continues to improve and it's good to see more folk from RMweb writing articles and getting wider press on some great modelling. I may yet subscribe!

Jesting aside, the next article in the series has been penned by Damian (Indomitable026). It will cover construction of the boards and support system but don't worry, there's lots of photos. (and no he didn't use 2x1 and softboard)

I've been working on the Man at Travis Perkins catalogue images today; apart from that it's a really good article. :)

Just bought myself one of these tablet type book readers (justified it to myself because i buy a lot of magazines and hopefully will recover the cost sometime in the next few years!) Downloaded the latest issue of BRM, and found the experience of reading it, being able to enlarge pictures and text really useful and dont have to store printed copies any more. I have been impressed by the recent changes to BRM so will subscribe to the electronic version.

Being a new user of these devices is there any way of printing out an odd page now and then? The reason for asking is if for example i like a picture of weathered loco and would like to try to replicate it on a model, I don't fancy having the expensive book reader near to the airbrush, or if a magazine contained a scale drawing of a building to be used as modelling plan, a paper version would be more useable than an electronic device.

Being a new user of these devices is there any way of printing out an odd page now and then? The reason for asking is if for example i like a picture of weathered loco and would like to try to replicate it on a model, I don't fancy having the expensive book reader near to the airbrush, or if a magazine contained a scale drawing of a building to be used as modelling plan, a paper version would be more useable than an electronic device.

I do not think many of these devices will have printer drivers however if it has a USB Port you possibly could export to a PC then edit, scale etc and then print a copy.

XF

i have found an app to connect my android tablet to my printer (from the printer manufacturer) and can print a photo ok, but it doesn't seem interested in printing anything from the magazine. I have copied the magazine file to my desktop on my pc but can't open any of the files because they are stored in ".bin" format which my windows 7pc doesn't recognise.

• Administrators

Hi hymek,

As I understand it you can't print off certain pages from a tablet device. I believe you can with the PC offline reader by saving a spread as a PDF and then printing it out.

Glad you like the Digital Editions. We'll be adding more and more new features like photo galleries, video and website links into all issues going forward. The November issue, which we're working on now, will feature a mass of extra pictures!

Steve

PS - If you haven't checked out BRM as a Digital Edition, click here and watch our new promo video: https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/information/BRM_digital_editions

• Administrators

Steve, I'm very interested in the serialised soldering feature by Adrian Marks - I saw a preview (?) about safety from a link somewhere that I've lost now. It looks quite well thought out so far. How can I gain access to just this particular content? Is it possible without buying the whole magazine or e-zine?*

*Very willing to pay something towards it though.

Steve

Hi,

There is a free article on Model-Railways-Live (https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Features/Practical_BRM_-_How_to_Solder_Safely_and_Successfully/) to introduce readers to the new monthly article. This is different to the article in the October issue which is titled: How to solder... pick the right iron.

This new series has been designed to take you from the basics of soldering, guiding you through to your first etched-kit build.

There's no way of getting the magazine article without buying the magazine, sorry. However, a cheaper way of getting hold of the magazine is by downloading a Digital Edition. It costs £2.49.

This new soldering series by Adrian Marks will be every month.

Thanks,

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Matt - PM me your address and I'll send you the supplement. Glad you liked the magazine.

Steve

BRM

May I PM you my address as the Bachmann supplement was missing from mine as well? Other than that, another great issue - enjoyed the class 47 retrospective and the practical stuff is top notch as usual :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question. Have just read the article on adapting resin buildings. Are there issues with resin powders once a model has been cut? I know that you have to be careful with resin before it has hardened off. As this is not mentioned in the article then I assume there is no problem.

Also interested in reading yet more articles on soldering. If I read enough then I may actually become brave enough to do it.

If I read enough then I may actually become brave enough to do it.

My overall plan with the series is to build your confidence to do just that! Keep reading each month and I'll shortly take you through some soldering exercises before leading you into building your first kit. Once you start and begin to build up your competency a whole new world of model making is opened to you, then you'll look back and think 'if I'd known it was so easy I'd have tried it years ago...' ;)

• RMweb Gold

My overall plan with the series is to build your confidence to do just that! Keep reading each month and I'll shortly take you through some soldering exercises before leading you into building your first kit. Once you start and begin to build up your competency a whole new world of model making is opened to you, then you'll look back and think 'if I'd known it was so easy I'd have tried it years ago...' ;)

Thanks. I do not normally buy railway mags regularly but I will be buying BRM in future, at least for the length of this series as there are lots of brass kits that I need to make but at the moment will not attempt.

I am working with brass usingShires Sceens sides which is interesting but I do not plan to solder these. I will follow the series with interest.

Archived