How to Build a Good OO Loco

Pinkmouse

Did anymore information come to light on this book? Mick Nicholson

A friend of a friend checked out the British Library, and they have no record of it, and an email to the publishers went unanswered. I may try again as this thread is back from the dead! ;)

• 1 month later...

An Hambling's catolouge print date "E2/12/48 lists this book on page 29 and retailing at 5/6, a tidy sum in those far off days. The catalouge was printed by Thos McGilvray & Son, printers, Kirkcaldy, Scotland, the Loco book was also printed in Kirkcaldy, but by "The Allan Lithograph Co Ltd". I wonder if a different name for the same firm? Possibly the location indicates a connection with the late Rev Beal who I recall lived there or in the area. Best Wishes, Mick Nicholson.

• 1 year later...

Good Morning from Ottawa.

I have had a copy of this for a number of years. My library inventory lists it as 1948 and, about a week ago, I read a review of it in an issue of the MRN dating from about that same time. It is definitely late 1947 or else 1948, being early post-War, and not 1950s.

The author is not Beal who wrote in a distinctive style. It was probably one of Hambling's contractors. Clearly this fellow 'Pro' knew his stuff as a professional, but most of what the book recommends was over the head of the average modeller. In particular, Pro's choice of prototypes is ludicrously ambitious for a novice, and his advice on tools is rather eccentric. Nevertheless this little book provides an interesting insight into trade practices circa 1948.

However, Ahern was the only contemporary writer who was properly in touch with the skills and tool kits of the average enthusiast. I say this as someone who built Ahern-type engines in the early 70s, using the Ahern book as guidance, and subsequently moved on to P4, 2 mm finescale, and 7mm NG scratchbuilding. In fact I am returning to the Ahern fold with a re-awakening of interest in classical, post-War, retro scratchbuilding.

Andrew

Archived