Antics of Cardiff

Barry Ten

We visited Antics, ModelZone and Ian Allen today on our little shopping trip and thought all three of Cardiff's City Centre shops are worthy of another visit.

The Antics store although doesn't have much railway stuff but I still managed to buy a Code 75 point, some fencing and a bargin Heljan Colas 47 !

I found the staff very friendly and helpful.

I was suprised by sheer amount of books and DVDs at the IA shop that I could have spent a fortune, the model side of things was also good and was tempted by the W+S blue and grey MK3s but I refrained.

ModelZone was alright, I didn't buy anything in there but I was again tempted by their exclusive Heljan railcar (although I understand that it is incorrect, looks good though)

All in all a great day and I'm sure that we will visit again, especially to IA.

5p for bags what a great idea more city centres should apply this rule.

Guest dubdee1000

5p for bags what a great idea more city centres should apply this rule.

All of Wales has this.

Lord and Butler is a great place to visit, but needs a trek to reach it, right between Cardiff and Penarth. Excellent second hand section

Lord and Butler is a great place to visit, but needs a trek to reach it, right between Cardiff and Penarth. Excellent second hand section

I thought of trying to find Lord and Butler but thought that I would be pushing my luck a little bit with the wife maybe the next time we visit, we will go there first.

I thought of trying to find Lord and Butler but thought that I would be pushing my luck a little bit with the wife maybe the next time we visit, we will go there first.

There's an 'antiques' market, along with such things as a doll's house furnishers, in the same building, so it might end up costing more than you thought... Alternatively, you could leave the others in the city centre and take a bus (one of the the Penarth or Barry ones) to the 'Pumping station'

• RMweb Gold
Alternatively, you could leave the others in the city centre and take a bus (one of the the Penarth or Barry ones) to the 'Pumping station'

Not all the Barry buses pass the Pumping Station.

The ones you want are run by Cardiff Bus - routes 92, 93 or 94 - between them, they run about every 10 minutes (but they often seem to "bunch", returning from Penarth to Cardiff).

Although they pass the bus station, they don't stop there - so you need to get on by the Philharmonic, or the stop by the Library and John Lewis.

Another thing to watch out for with Cardiff Bus is that all their buses have coinboxes - and are "exact fare only". (They do, however, accept Network Rider tickets - which may, or may not, be of use.)

• 9 years later...
On 04/09/2012 at 19:11, Linners said:

Sorry Rat,

I can't place you, although I was friendly with two of the (later) Beattie's lads (Alan and Steve - big aircraft fans, we went to a couple of the International Air Tatoo's together and the very last RAF Mildenhall show as well). My mate got a Christmas job there in 1996 or 1997, I can't remember when exactly, but it had already begun it's transition to a toy store by then. He talks of Brett and Tracey, the management team, whom he got on well with.

Dragging this thread out of the basement.

Hello matey..Steve here...if you get to read this.

I'm still in touch with Alan, he's on facebook.

• RMweb Gold
On 31/12/2021 at 11:29, negativepitch said:

Dragging this thread out of the basement.

Hello matey..Steve here...if you get to read this.

I'm still in touch with Alan, he's on facebook.

Is that Steve who started the same time as Huw ? 

Went to Bristol ? 

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold
On 04/09/2012 at 22:26, BlackRat said:

Brett was the Assistant Manager when I was there, mind you that was in 1981 when we opened to 1982 when I joined up! (I had been falling apart for years!).

Rob G was a Saturday boy there then! LOL! ;)

And 1982 was when I moved from Saturday lad to pinch your position when you left. Frightening to think Neil that we are now both retired........

Rob  

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Is that Steve who started the same time as Huw ? 

Went to Bristol ? 

Rob. 

Hi Rob.

Me and alan started around 1985.

You are thinking of steve purbrick he went to bristol just before I started.

Brett took over as manager just as I started.

If you are interested, and have a facebook account, Beatties have a group on there for x employees.  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/26616510070 Everyman and his dog are on there.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, negativepitch said:

Rob?

Robert Gunstone by any chance?

The very same. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, well. 

Morning Steve..

Fancy seeing you on here. 

A small world. 

Drop me a Pm if you want. 

• 1 month later...

Am I right in assuming the last few posts are regarding Beatties?  I started at the Leeds branch, when there were only 4 branches, in 1973, and left 18 years later in 1991 to join the railway. Saw lots of big changes during my time but loved every minute! Still got a very early Beatties catalogue (from well before the big sticker book) 

Edited by pippindoo

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

To maybe bring this back a little on topic...

Now that the building they were in has been demolished, Antics in Cardiff is now in the Wyndham Arcade, somewhere between the previous location and the one before that. Still handy for the railway station.

It's not huge, but it has a fair selection of rolling stock and a pretty good selection of tools and modelling supplies and if they have something in the warehouse or one of the other shops they can get it there free of charge if you ask in the shop or order on the web site.

They have a varying small selection of railway books at discount prices.

I've found the staff to be friendly and knowledgeable and it's worth popping in if you're in the area.

(And the second hand model shop above the Cardiff Antique Centre in the Royal Arcade is still there and again worth a visit - you never know what they will have in).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2