Recognise this Prototype for fiddle yard exit?

I was going to add "where was I" but the name boards rather give the game away! This struck me as the typical fiddle yard to fiddle yard prototype

First, a signal box at the end of the (down?) platform, out of use and beginning to look forlorn.

post-136-0-67491200-1347207678_thumb.jpg

The station building, the near front is now a Railway Bookshop!

post-136-0-47403900-1347207862_thumb.jpg

North bound tracks disappear into Tunnel beyond two road bridges

post-136-0-51314500-1347208036_thumb.jpg

and two views from the over-bridge looking south, Track disappears under a bridge and behind trees.

post-136-0-98827800-1347208205_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-95330100-1347208314_thumb.jpg

A flying visit to Stamford, ( time limited by a coach "comfort stop"), I had hoped to include a train arrival, but they were running about 15-20 minutes late! An attractive station on a curve, crying out to be modelled?

I assume that there was a goods yard where the car park is now situated?

That is the original signal box,Robert Humm uses it as a store room, and unfortunately it is looking rather forlorn.

The signal box stood slightly further towards Leicester and it was closer to the running lines when it was stil British Rail property - If you look at the last photo, it becomes apparent that the down platform awning would obstruct the view from the box in it's current spot.

The housing estate outside the frontage of the station has been built on the site of the old goods yard.

On the last photo, the fence line is on the 3rd platform face, which was used for the push-pull services to Syston Junction.

I presume that you didn't get a chance to see the frontage of Stamford East? http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2316593

B.T.W - both Stamford stations were build in a 'grand' style due to the proximity of Burghley House - most of the properties on the old A1 from the George hotel up the hill (southbound) still belong to the Burghley estate.

P.S. I recognised the location after the first photo had loaded. :no:

Seaton Junction surely.

Yes, I was still thinking about Leicester!!

And going back to the original posters ideas for a fiddle yard - station - fiddle yard scheme

I remember the Norwich -Birmingham New Street services being powered by March based 31-4's on four or five Mk1's or early Mk2's

I can also recall the introduction of 156 Super-Sprinters on the route (the first twenty at least being allocated to Norwich for the line)

Yes, I was still thinking about Leicester!!

And going back to the original posters ideas for a fiddle yard - station - fiddle yard scheme

I remember the Norwich -Birmingham New Street services being powered by March based 31-4's on four or five Mk1's or early Mk2's

I can also recall the introduction of 156 Super-Sprinters on the route (the first twenty at least being allocated to Norwich for the line)

Plus Derby/Nottingham-Yarmouth summer specials, Harwich boat trains, Mountsorrel-Barham/Kennet stone trains, Freightliners. Nice mix of workings available.

C6T.

The goods yard was lifted in the seventies I think, but the area remained undeveloped until 1995 when the building started. In my days coach driving, I used to park the coach on the yard and spend my break period in Robert Humm's shop. The showmen attending Stamford fair in March used the land for parking living vans and lorries whilst they were in town.

I've a photo somewhere of a Hunslet 0-6-0 on the back of a Brackmills Haulage low-loader parked up in the old yard around 1982, I reckon that was the last loco to visit the yard! Not sure what it was or what it was doing there but it was in work worn condition but far from derelict, my assumption at the time was that it was on route to a preserved line, possibly just having retired from industry.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few shots from Stamford from my collection of original slides:

post-384-0-52289600-1348840261_thumb.jpg

BR Standard 4MT 4-6-0 No. 75061 restarts its stopping passenger train away from the station and is passing the signalbox at Stamford. This is a Peterborough to Leicester train over the former Midland Railway line. Sunday 29th September 1963. Photographer unknown.

post-384-0-45523700-1348840336_thumb.jpg

Brush Type 2 diesel No. D5581 (later class 31 No. 31163) still carries its original livery as it works a passenger train past the signalbox at Stamford with a Peterborough to Leicester train, though as it's carrying a headcode of 1M37 and has quite a lengthy set of coaches, it maybe something more exotic, especially as there are quite a few heads out of windows! Photo taken sometime in the summer of 1964, photographer unknown.

Does anyone know what working 1M37 was by any chance?

post-384-0-09398000-1348840451_thumb.jpg

In somewhat difficult lighting conditions, ex-LT&SR "Tilbury Tank" 4-4-2T No. 41975 stands in the platform at the delightfully ornate Stamford station with a branch train from Seaton. Saturday 12th April 1958. Photo by D.E. White.

I do have more shots from Stamford (and Stamford East), but I have yet to scan them...

Cheers, Geoff

Thanks Poor Old Bruce, glad you like the photos. Thanks also to david_barrett for the info on the 1M37 train - that's quite an amazing cross-country route and certainly something I would never have guessed! I can now add that info to the photo's caption.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoff

The first two photos that you have posted seem to be familiar, they might be taken by the late Phil H. Wells (of Bourne) who did have some books published by Ian Allen.

But I could be wrong on the photographer.

Cheers

Archived