Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Does something get lost as the scale gets bigger?

PhilH

...I wonder if it is the fact that the larger the scale the less is left to the imagination, the less work the brain has to do in completing the illusion, this process being different for all of us so we all complete the illusion in the way we would like it to be....
Whilst all the other posters have made very valid points, this - I think - really hits the nail squarely on the head.

The brain has evolved to "fill in the blanks", so that primitive man could quickly determine whether or not the glimpsed form in the bushes was something going to be dinner, or something coming for dinner.

Nowadays, this ability to fill in the blanks - I would contend - is mostly used to "suspend disbelief"; under this category I'd put railway modelling and theatre staging (get key details and lighting right and you've convinced people they are looking at Waterloo Station or the Court of Henry V). Additionally, only presenting a few details or glimpses of something - also heightens anticipation (as we can see with Film Trailers, Negligees and semi revealing clothes) - we mentally fill in the blanks - and generally favourably (or optmistically in the case of semi-revealing clothes?).

This human ability is also exploited by painters. JWM Turner's Rain, Steam and Speed emphatically conveys the image of a train rushing along, perhaps better than many photographic-like paintings.

I believe that modelling, in whatever scale, needs to selectively leave things out in order to engage the brain to suspend disbelief. Albeit easier to do in 2mm than 7mm

Archived