High Level Chassis

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

I've not turned up anything in a search of the forum, so I have this question, has anyone built this very fine chassis kit using the CSB system? the reason is that at almost the first hurdle I have hit a snag.

Using the CSB jig to set out the holes for the hand rail knobs for the anchor points I find that at the various frame spacers are in the way of the route taken by the springy beam and will need to be notched to allow clearance. Is this correct or have I missed something? As the destructions are for the previous compensation method.

Cheers SS

Using the CSB jig to set out the holes for the hand rail knobs for the anchor points I find that at the various frame spacers are in the way of the route taken by the springy beam and will need to be notched to allow clearance. Is this correct or have I missed something?

That is correct. With a bit of luck, the next Scalefour News (180) will feature a 'CSB how to do it' for a HL Pannier (which has the same wheelbase, but I'm not sure that the frame spacers are in exactly the same place as the Dean Goods).

Hi Siberian Snooper,

I haven't built any High Level chasssis kits with CSBs but I do have one of their Pannier Chassis that is sprung. I intended to use individual leaf springs in mine but like you found that the frame spacers got in the way. My answer was to use the little Exactoscale coil springs fixed above the axleboxes. That way there was no problem with frame spacers and bits for the inside motion getting in the way.

post-13847-0-18230800-1347545747.jpg

post-13847-0-28943000-1347545753.jpg

There's nothing wrong with CSBs but they aren't the be all and the end all. There are other ways of doing things if fitting them proves tricky.

Justin

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all, for confirming what I had suspected. I have tried using coil springs but found I was spending more time on my hands a knees looking for errant springs than actually producing anything, hence my first attempt at giving the CSB system a go. It won't take long to put a few notches in the frame spacers.

Thanks SS

Archived