Seeking prototype: private sidings at station in BR blue era

foop

• RMweb Premium

Couple of sequences to whet your appetite:

3rd August 1981 47064 shunting Aldermaston CCE tip, right next to the station

post-12721-0-31593200-1347649302_thumb.jpg

So what's with the single loaded wagon being sent back?

Also an example of the dreaded double brake van!

Wow. Many thanks to everyone who took time to reply, especially with pictures. You've given me lots of good ideas to go and research.

It depends what you call 'small'. Many private sidings which survived into the blue era were increasingly restricted to trainload traffic, an exception was Taunton Cider which was basically wagonload attached to through trains doing their own shunting.

I was hoping for somewhere with occasional wagonload traffic rather than trainload traffic.

Entrance / Exit off the main controlled by the main box

or

Entrance / Exit off the main controlled by ground frame(s)

Unlikely to be a ground frame inside the sidings although not impossible.

I didn't engage my brain fully before posting - I was thinking of extrance/exit controlled by the main box with individual points in the sidings controlled by point levers.

To add to the list, the sidings most familiar to me are the ARC road aggregate depot at Fareham. I caught the train to school from Fareham as a teenager in the early 80s, so I remember these quite well.

Hi,

At Fairlie in Ayrshire - a NATO moorings depot to the north of the tunnel.

At the station to the south, a loop siding with nuclear flask traffic

At Prestwick in Ayrshire a two road aviation fuel siding - usual traffic four or five 4 wheel tank wagons - still in use now.

At Connel Ferry on the Oban line a loop and siding for an oil depot. Same at Oban terminus.

At Dalry (swinelees) a chemical works with 3 or ofur sidings and short branch to a chemical works.

Happy modelling

Souwest

just had a thought redish north on the guide bridge - stockport line had a conection via a ground frame to the bells wagon works used to be served every day by target 24 dewsap northenden

whole selection of wagons to choose from going in and out of the wagon works for repair or modifification or service anything from cartics to HAA

I remember the oil terminal at Shirehampton in use in about 1978/79,

100 tonne tanks hauled by 37 or 47 came from one of the Milford Haven refineries.

The traffic was fairly infrequent, and I'm not sure how long it lasted into the 1980s,

cheers

Of some of the sites already mentioned I have a few photos i have taken on my website, notably Bridgwater and Droitwich - ground frame controlled in the case of the former, and semaphore disc signals at the latter -

http://www.freewebs.com/brdiesels/

Other place was Bramley Military Railway on the Reading Basingstoke line. It was active until Feb 1987, and there was almost what could be described a bay platform, at Bramley in actual fact it was a head shunt for the whole MoD yard. When I fist visited in 1983, an immaculate 0-6-0 Ruston in polished green, with yellow/black wasp stripes came into the head shunt. I think the connection was controlled by ground position light signals.

Avonmouth Town station had a private siding active until 1987, it was a Rowntrees Distribution centre, single track into a warehouse at the back of the platform. 31s and 37s certainly worked the traffic in VDA box vans IIRC. At the rear of Tiverton Jn station platform on the downside was the private siding for the short lived Redlands roof tile/brick traffic. At the rear of Falmouth Dock station is the link line into the dockyard, active in the BR blue era, with a working steam loco until 1986.

The final one is the preserved station at Cranmore which until 1985 would have 25s or 33s or 31s tripping bitumen wagons to the two roaded bitumen terminal behind the station, similar set up at Frome, with bitumen sidings one side - to the rear of the platform, and on other side of the line, just beyond the ed of the platform the point at which the Benchair wagons were loaded.

Fully downloaded myself now. Paul aka Devonbelle.

Skelmanthorpe station on the Clayton West branch had a private siding to the adjacent colliery from it's goods yard (which I assume was retained for shunting/stabling wagons for the colliery).

A couple of photos taken 11/4/1982.

post-6748-0-18592700-1348518828.jpg

A view of the BR yard.

post-6748-0-63405100-1348518857.jpg

The connection to the main line and its GF

post-6748-0-18181200-1348518879.jpg

The colliery screens

post-6748-0-36648500-1348519032.jpg

A sketch of the layout

The numbering plans here will maybe give you an idea how access to various sidings was handled from a power box. For small sidings most common was just to have a ground frame without any signals. As the train was occupying the track circuit it would be protected by stop signals automatically, the Ground Frame release would then hold the protecting signals at stop until given up even if the train went completely off the track circuits. The actual shunting would be by hand signal.

Regards

Keith

• RMweb Gold

How about Crossleys scrapyard alongside the old good shed at Shipley station? In BR blue days the haunt of anything Holbeck could find for the trip workings, still in use today being served by D&CR class 56s

Looking north from Valley Road bridge towards Shipley station with the goods shed in the background and the line to/from Bradford Forster Square on the right. 25205 was an unusual sight on the working in September 1981. Note the Andrew Barclay saddle tank in the far end of the yard, occasionally used to shunt the yard.

post-171-0-02033200-1348523946_thumb.jpg

The yard extends under the road bridge to the south, here's 25205 heading past the rest of the yard to Bradford to run round and head back towards Leeds, the bridge across the yard is where the first photo was taken from:

post-171-0-47854400-1348524112_thumb.jpg

Something a little larger on the scrap train, 40084 setting back from the siding into Shipley station and then on to Bradford:

post-171-0-28611300-1348524263_thumb.jpg

40084 shunting the siding earlier in the day:

post-171-0-33589200-1348524396_thumb.jpg

Almost BR blue, but much later, 47237 in October 2008 arriving at Shipley with a scrap train (bigger wagons now!):

post-171-0-40592500-1348524481_thumb.jpg

Modern motive power in October 2009, DRS 66427 with Crossleys own shunter:

post-171-0-59478700-1348524526_thumb.jpg

Finally a different shade of blue in BR Blue days:

post-171-0-71672600-1348524791_thumb.jpg

Here's are links to someone else's photos of 'Harry' shunting http://www.flickr.co...N04/2682385440/ & http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmightycat/6089800365/in/pool-1041407@N21/

Martin

Archived