Which Locos had RETB fitted

carlw

HI Carl

Based on my own experience in Inverness, I believe only class 37's working from the depot were fitted. Prior to the introduction of sprinter units all of the radio equipment was "band 2" which was unique to the Norh/ Kyle system.. There was some battery powered portable equipment used by the P Way, this was basically a locomotive radio and cab display unit mounted in a wooden box. I can't remember if any of the Pway trolleys actually had permenant radios fitted or if the used the portable equipment, I suspect they used the portable equipment.

The West Highland system was different being the more modern band 3 system, I suspect it was only eastfield class 37's which were fitted with the RETB cab display units. The difference with the band 3 set was that it used the standard national radio network band 3 radio which was being fitted to locos at the time. This would have made fitting a retb cab display unit to a locomotive much easier. The band 3 portable units were also much more robust and easier to move from loco to loco.

Hope that helps

Colin

• 4 weeks later...

Archived