Class 116 centre car - drawings or side-elevation photos available?

eetype3

• RMweb Premium

I have always wanted a selection so chance to make them. I will just take turns with them.

119 and 120 are now getting noticable by their absence

• RMweb Premium

Now the proud owner of a 116 TS body shell. Needs filling, needs the chassis lengthening (tonights job)

The donor shell is a very slightly different profile, roof is about 1/4 mm higher.

I paniced at one stage - it rocked on a flat surface, The gunge I filled the gaps with (melted plastic) had dripped down and it was rocking on that.

Going to plastic fill the gaps until as good as I can get before using filler.

Will probably paint at same time as the 115 TS for the Tysely 116, then do all 4 116 power cars in a batch.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin

The progress is looking encouraging. The more I think about the slight lengthening to preserve the coach side mouldings the more it seems the logical thing to do until there is another one available.

I am a bit concerned about your bravery, should my lovely SWMBO see that I had used that many pegs on a toy train, it would be "If you want any tea tonight you know where the chippy is". :no:

Clive

• RMweb Premium

Chassis looks OK, worst job is getting the roof smooth.

Still have some minor gaps in the sides, filling with melted plastic from the inside, that stuff does not like sanding.

Just need to avoid the splitting I had on my first DMS.

Will do a non corridor 115 TS when this is in primer (my TS 116)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin

The TS of both the 115 and the 127 were the same form memory. Well tonight I was lucky to photograph a Bedford 4 car unit that needed attention at Hanging Hill while running a special to Southend.

post-16423-0-84823500-1350256299_thumb.jpg

Converted many years ago. The extra seating bay was made by filling the toilet window in the TC(L) and then cutting out the windows and scribing on the door. Handles etc. are from plastic microstrip. You can see where I cut away pillars and where I added them.

post-16423-0-69510300-1350256573_thumb.jpg

The whole train. The shelf its box was on fell off the wall and all coaches have been damaged but are low on the repair list. Hence how they have been posed as not to show too much damage.

post-16423-0-83101800-1350256763_thumb.jpg

The DMBS. It has an extra seating bay than the Class 117 units.

post-16423-0-35719600-1350256938_thumb.jpg

The two trailer cars. The TS(L) is not the same as the TC(L) of the 117. There are some window pillars removed.

post-16423-0-85259700-1350257116_thumb.jpg

The TS again.

This train does not fit my ER depot layout but coming from Bedford I have a soft spot for these and for this conversion as it was done in the early 80s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Started on the Tysely 115 trailer for the NG 116

Cut up

8 parts for the body

3 so far in one section and 2 in the other, I alternate each end.

More piccies to follow including the Cardiff trailer with vents

Archived