The road vehicles picture thread

Guest jim s-w

• RMweb Premium

I used to do a kit, but it's out of production. You might find one second hand.

http://www.tpmodels.co.uk/64B28.html

Corgi did a 1:72 version in their Trackside range http://www.ehattons.com/25362/Corgi_Trackside_inc_Lledo_Diecast_Vehicles_DG209010_Bedford_HA_van_in_Pukka_Pies_livery/StockDetail.aspx

Thanks

Still under construction but almost finished: Little Bus Company 1934 London Transport 'Godstone' STL in the first, as-delivered livery (or as close as I could get to it). Since the photo, I have silvered the opening window bars. Transfers, with 'General' fleetnames (again, as delivered), are yet to be applied, and the nearside headlight remains to be attached.

LT1934GodstoneSTL-1_zpsd2bbcc4a.jpg

Edit: A quick update: I just added some of the transfers. Still to go are the destination screens and the headlight, plus a few minor paint touch-ups.

LT1934GodstoneSTL-4_zpsf2df9e0b.jpg

Another project from me: this one is also incomplete, with some ragged paint edges to touch up before adding the transfers. It is a partial repaint of an EFE Wilts & Dorset dual purpose Bristol LS / ECW, where the areas that would normally be red were painted cream. It was probably not deemed a success as it only lasted less than a year in traffic with this experimental livery.

WiltsandDorsetBristolLSExperimental-1_zp

WiltsandDorsetBristolLSExperimental-2_zp

I will be completing it before the end of the week as the annual AGM and modelling competition of the Model Bus Association of Australia takes place next Sunday (7th December). I have rushed it a little and the Tilling cream paintwork has come out somewhat rougher than I like.

Update time. I've managed to get some paint on the cab and trailer. I've got the fun task now of masking the trailer, painting the floor and the rest of the tractor unit. The livery will probably end up fictitious the way things are going. hopefully tomorrow I can get the rest of the trailer painted and sort out some decals for it. 

trailer_zpse8284828.jpg

Jaymes

looking good so far, have you changed the drive axle of the tractor to the centre or is that how it came. You could try looking at the military modelling route for transfers for the trailer, I got some a while ago covering " Wide load, Abnormal Load and Long vehicle, it also has HGV L plates and reflective triangles. These were transfers for tank transporters. You could also Langley models, they do transfers for there model trucks.

Going back to the Godstone STL, here it is in finished form (or as near as I'll ever get to finished!). Number plates and destinations were printed on the computer using Word, zoomed in to anything between 250% to 400%, using 2.5, 3, 4 and 5 point text depending on the need.

LT1934GodstoneSTL-6mod_zpsb69e6c29.jpg

LT1934GodstoneSTL-8_zps3401c4c2.jpg

I couldn't find any clear shots of the destination screens for 1934, so had to extrapolate from bits and pieces I could see. This means that the screens are almost certainly not fully authentic. The one clear photo I have in my books shows a freshly delivered bus with no number plates, the side screen set correctly for the 410 (the route they spent most of their lives on) but the front screens show a strange curly typeface for the route number (set to 21!) and 'private' and 'for hire or charter' type blinds (I can't remember the precise wording, but whatever it was, it was not helpful for the 410!!).

It is anything but perfect, but it passes muster at normal viewing distance. We'll have to see how well it passes muster at the competition!

I don't like having to use a mixed colour as it then becomes much harder to match for touch-ups. Such was the case with the green for the STL, so a few slips with the black paint remain uncorrected.

The Wilts & Dorset Bristol LS6G dual purpose vehicle is now finished. I'm not at all happy with the finish I have achieved (or rather, failed to achieve!). The cream paint has dried with a very rough surface and also the odd little bits of dirt and brush bristle have embedded themselves while it was drying. Given more time, I would sand it back a bit, then re-coat, but time is too short, with the competition on Sunday. It doesn't really show in the photo, but the judge(s) will be able to see the faults.

Still, it has achieved the right look from normal viewing distance.

WiltsandDorsetBristolLSExperimental-3_zp

The Wilts & Dorset Bristol LS6G dual purpose vehicle is now finished. I'm not at all happy with the finish I have achieved (or rather, failed to achieve!). The cream paint has dried with a very rough surface and also the odd little bits of dirt and brush bristle have embedded themselves while it was drying. Given more time, I would sand it back a bit, then re-coat, but time is too short, with the competition on Sunday. It doesn't really show in the photo, but the judge(s) will be able to see the faults.Still, it has achieved the right look from normal viewing distance.WiltsandDorsetBristolLSExperimental-3_zp

Any chance of some pics of the vehicles in the background of that pic? There looks to be some interesting stuff among them.

It might have to wait for a few days as this weekend is fairly full, but I'll see what I can do for you. I have taken pics separately for some of those models, but not all and not necessarily in that location.

The green Bristol LS behind is a Hants & Dorset one converted from a Western National one. The Royal Blue Bristol MW6G coach further back, and the red Wilts & Dorset Bristol MW bus are both Little Bus Company kits.

Archived