The road vehicles picture thread

Guest jim s-w

These buses were modified 4mm EFE or Corgi vehicles using my own radiator castings. I drew the rads and other parts 7.5 times larger than the 4mm scale size and they were etched at Grange & Hodder. Then the etchings were built up to make brass patterns for casting in whitemetal....

A Manchester corporation Crossley Condor. This is the deep rad as fitted to buses with diesel engines before the war.....

post-6680-0-87174200-1364235260.jpg

An Oldham Corporation Leyland TD5 with Leyland bodywork. It started life as a postwar PD2 but i modified the body and fitted my own prewar radiator, bonnet and front wings plus a repaint....

post-6680-0-90612500-1364235263.jpg

Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley & Dukinfield Joint Board wartime Daimler. This was basically a complete repaint with one of my wartime Daimler radiators fitted...

post-6680-0-12172600-1364235265.jpg

Why do all transport models have wheels going straight ahead? Don't manufacturers realise that vehicles do go round corners?

I would imagine making a robust, poseable axle for a commercially viable price is probably one reason why we haven't seen many vehicles with wheels pointing in any other direction than straight ahead. The other issue is unless you are modelling an inner city, the amount of "turn" on the wheels is actually pretty negligble. On a couple of vehicle on my layout I have posed the wheel appropriate to the corner and the change is very small.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I don't really know much about cars but I got this old Hornby Triumph 2000 and resprayed it red using the airbrush etc. I believe the colour is Railmatch buffer beam red. I also coloured the detail, varnished using Humbrol's newish 'clear' product and added windscreen wipers and adjusted the wheels (they no longer move but are more lined up with the body), few evenings work but I think it looks alright parked up behind the signal box. I found the plastic shell ideal for repainting, no need to paint strip or anything, just clean and spray with primer then airbrush the colour over the top in layers leaving to dry between coats.

1460064_592844390764434_387286287_n.jpg

1425612_592844364097770_368212116_n.jpg

1471356_592844577431082_402968322_n.jpg

1441364_592844290764444_1388714435_n.jpg

I also removed the massive tow hitch.

Cheers, Reece

I agree, they can come up very nicely with a full overall repaint and few extra paint touches. I prefer the old 'chromed' wheels but even those 'orrible black discs respond well to some painted detailing. I like to paint black inside the window surrounds and wheel arches as well.

Finally, many look 'under-wheeled': that is, the wheels are too far inside the wheel arches. I cut the axles and lengthen them, using a little plastic tubing. One could also glue the front axle halves at angles to represent steering if one wishes.

Many of the more common Minix models are still available cheaply at swap meets - Ford Anglias, Morris 1100s, Vauxhall Vivas, Triumph 2000s and Ford Thames vans come to mind. I used some of Bernard (TPM's) Rostyle wheels on one Triumph 2000 to represent a 2.5PI version.

Less commonly, there were Hillman Minxes, Ford Corsairs, Vauxhall Victor 101s and Hillman Imps. I have not seen any of the Vauxhall Cresta estates or Austin 1800s at reasonable prices - they are around but are very 'collectible' so command silly prices.

• RMweb Premium

Minix also made a Simca and IIRC an American 'Muscle car'  as well as a builders trailer. The Simca is fairly common but the American car is as rare as hens teeth. The Cresta estate is also quite rare but the 1800 is not so rare.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Bernard,

in Germany Wiking produced a similar looking car. There it was called Chevrolet Malibu. I googled the Chevy, and it is said that the Chevy Malibu was built from 1978 on, But the Wiking model shows no similarity with the real car.

It looks more like your mentioned Rambler.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/TZ-759-Wiking-Chevrolet-Malibu-mit-Zughacken-/390801224252

Markus

Yes I think they're alright, they seem to be reasonably accurate. Although I only have the two at the moment I'll try to get 1 or 2 more, the current ones came off a Hornby Car Transporter.
The advantage I think they have over the others is that they're made of precoloured plastic making them Ideal for repainting.
Little something I forgot to mention in the earlier post - If you look real closely it has mud flaps :)

1958346_642940082421531_1683411065_n.jpg

Good fun little modelling project!
One day I'll add some number plates.

Cheers, Reece

The Malibu goes back further than that. The Wiking model seems to be based on the 1964 version (I say with caution as minor styling changes may mean it's a 1965 or '66, but with the same basic bodyshell) like this: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/chevrolet-malibu1.htm

I had one of these in N Gauge I converted to a Vauxhall Cresta PC (which looks more or less like this: http://mg1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130310052301/tractors/images/8/86/Vauxhall_Viscount_first_registered_May_1972_3300cc.JPG (actually a Viscount, but that's a more luxurious version of the same car)  As British N is a slightly larger scale (1:148 against 1:160) the conversion is pretty close to the right size.

post-1877-0-77496100-1498929035_thumb.jpg

Please bear in mind I did this about 35 years ago; I would hope to make a slightly better job if I did another.

• 7 months later...

Some nice models on here,

Here is my OO Oxford Bedford TK in green slime livery, inspired by all the wet weather at the moment!

gallery_16311_3480_10879.jpg

theres an old mountain bike in front of it too.

(I had to cut the back off the TK as it was too long to fit where I'd planned, oh well its dark under my arches!

Just looking at some of the great vehicles in this thread, I get so fed up of seeing layouts at shows that have amazing scenery and trains but are let down by toy cars or underscale vehicles. Heres a few of my attempts, I hope you like thempost-13362-0-07221900-1417085778_thumb.jpg

First pic is a 22 tonne Scania gas bottle delivery lorry, based on the Energas lorries, I have yet to do the lettering.post-13362-0-08019300-1417086514_thumb.jpg

Second pic is a scratch built JCB Loadall telescopic handler, I have first hand knowledge of these as I used to drive one.post-13362-0-01015100-1417092278_thumb.jpg

Final photo for the moment is a pair of sideloaders, the red one is a Kalmar and the second is a Lancer Boss. I also have first hand knowledge of these as I drove sideloaders for about 15 years in timber yards.

Currently on me bench. A semi scratch-built Low loader trailer using parts of a kirbri kit and various plastic sheeting and strip. The tractor unit is just posed for now I've got another unit currently being stripped and re painted.

lowloader_zpsffb57474.jpg

Jaymes

Tamper man, Yes I will have it all chained down. I've just got to scratch build some ratchets and chain tensioners. Modelling it will be easy as my dad moves plant equipment for a living so I know a little bit about securely chaining loads down. I'll have some paint on it tomorrow hopefully and get the tractor unit sorted

Jaymes

Langley models do chain tensioners and chain down loops, they also do folded wagon sheets and coiled ropes. You can get them as individual pieces if you see them at an exhibition or I would imagine you could order some online if your order is big enough.

As I said if you can see them at an exhibition they usually have loads of loose parts that you can go through and buy individual parts, very useful for building trucks/trailers such as 5th wheels, landing legs, winches, wheels etc, really worth looking at.

Archived