Panel Diagrams, Software, etc

Hello everyone,

What are your thoughts on computer software for point and signal control, via a track diagram on a PC?

I've got an NCE system, with interface to my laptop. So far I've been using the JMRI software for messing about with loco CVs, etc. And I've also experimented using it for point control. Although allocating the accessory addresses to different points, setting up cross-overs, etc works well, I'm finding the actual drawing of the layout a real pain.

Are there any alternatives out there? And if so, what are your experiences?

Thanks,

Bath.

• RMweb Gold

RailRoad and Co

This is the NX panel for Widnes, its changed a bit since this photo was taken but basically the same, it implements most of the regulations which the prototype would have and communicates with another NX panel controlling the fiddle yard

post-6662-0-85523400-1348212488.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I have only used JMRI Panel Pro.

Yes its a bit awkward at first but once you get used to it . I have only done two layout diagrams so far but it does get easier to use pretty quickly

Above all its free and JMRI is in continuous development so no doubt it will get even better in time.

Beast 66606,

So it works like a proper NX panel then, setting all required points for a given move? That's just the sort of thing I'm after.

Roundhouse,

Thanks for the reply, I know I should be more patient! The NX capability of this railroad program is looking attractive though.

Thanks for both replies.

• RMweb Gold

Beast 66606,

So it works like a proper NX panel then, setting all required points for a given move? That's just the sort of thing I'm after.

Sure does, fully interlocked, approach controlled signals, auto detection of occupied lines so call ons are used rather than main aspects, signals replaced by trains, and the dreaded (by the train drivers) SPAD signal etc - all the usual stuff.

The only problem is the buttons are 2-state instead of 3 so you can't pull up a button to cancel the route, you have to click it again, which is a pain at times but it still works very well.

The downside is RailRoad is expensive as it's also designed to control trains (which is does very well), so a lot of money is spent on functionality which isn't used (by us anyway), but it is (certainly was) by far the best product at the moment (imho) - I did look at alternatives when we started on the route setting for our layouts but they all fell way short - that gap may well have closed by now.

I'd suggest persevering with JMRI. It will do entry-exit routing, etc.. They chap developing that side is into British signalling. Its working in current releases, but under active and rapid development. If something is required which isn't supported, ask and its likely to appear in weeks rather than months.

Alternatively, RocRail is free, and may do what is required.

GPP-Software's "SSI" may also be worth a look, lowish costs.

TrainController (RR&Co) costs money. If wanting to automatically run trains, then it is the best software. But if just setting turnouts/signals then other software may be a better option.

- Nigel

I use JMRI's panelpro and love it, my understanding is that you can achieve most things with JMRI but that it requires more manual "programming" than RR&Co would do to get to the same place. Don't know if Panelpro could do things like fully automated control of trains as well as RR&Co.

I just use panelpro for control of signals and points. I built a control panel which I'm sure isn't 100% representative of the prototype, but allows you to click on entry / exit points to set routes and the signals are controlled based on that.

What I do is position a flashing "gif" animation as a sensor over each signal icon / buffer stop.

So when you click on the signal, it activates the sensor which makes the signal appear to flash. When you then click on the exit point, it will set the route you requested - provided that none of the "safety" triggers are active which are designed to prevent conflicting movements.

Behind the scenes, the system is set up so that "if sensor x and sensor y are active, and (insert safety conditions here) are not, then perform steps to set route "z"".

post-3124-0-55320600-1348250534_thumb.png

I don't do any layout feedback into JMRI (the NCE USB adapter can't do it) but do use a NCE mini panel linked to occupancy detectors to cancel the signals. A future project will be to add more prototypical operation in terms of feedback and block occupancy.

I will say that many a long hour has been spent writing logix to get to this point. But for free software, it's excellent.

• RMweb Gold

The only problem is the buttons are 2-state instead of 3 so you can't pull up a button to cancel the route, you have to click it again, which is a pain at times but it still works very well.

JLTRT (if it's anything like the Vaughan Harmon screens/controls I 'user tested' for Stoke control renewal a few years back)

Archived