Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

I should have added that, according to Neil Caplan's "Border Country Branch Line Album", 77011 was active between Hawick and Newcastle on the last Saturday of passenger services over the Border Counties (13/10/56). I presume there was no Sunday service and that this was actually the last day.

Bill

• Like 1

But if you're building a replica, it's no big deal, just choose the next number in series and stick 64G on the front. I'll give you a hand to knock it up!

Next but one chosen: 77021 from the cancelled lot, another fictional resident of 67B and regular performer on the Ardrossan, Ayr and Darvel services. That's not to say a subsequent reallocation to Blaydon isn't possible, with regular appearances between Riccarton and Hawick....

You only get one life, so you need to dream BIG!!

• Like 1

I should have added that, according to Neil Caplan's "Border Country Branch Line Album", 77011 was active between Hawick and Newcastle on the last Saturday of passenger services over the Border Counties (13/10/56). I presume there was no Sunday service and that this was actually the last day.

Bill

To put more into Bill's research above, I've been delving through my collection of Railway Observers and found this:

RCTS RAILWAY OBSERVER - VOL.XXVI, NOVEMBER 1956, NO.333

NORTH EASTERN REGION

BORDER COUNTIES LINE - After several months of controversy, passenger services were withdrawn on and from 15th October. As there were no Sunday trains the last day of operation was 13th October.

On this date the 5.50am Newcastle-Riccarton and 10.20am return were hauled by Cl.3 2-6-0 77011 (52C). Due to a block failure the train was approximately an hour late on the return journey.

The 11.10am Newcastle-Hawick and the 4.22pm return were hauled by K1 62022 (52C). Six corridor coaches were provided from Newcastle, but two more coaches were added at Hexham to cope with the passengers. The train was advertised as a half day excursion from Newcastle to Hawick.

The 4.27pm Newcastle-Hawick, the last train to traverse the section between Kielder and Riccarton Junction was hauled by K3 61968 (64A).

The last train up the line was the 9.15pm Hexham-Kielder which was hauled by 67651 (52C Hex.) on three well filled coaches. The train was greeted by detonators, Northumberland pipes, accordion music and small groups of people at the various stations and a "Ghost" turned out at Reedsmouth. The train returned to Hexham as an ordinary passenger train calling at all stations instead of the normal empty stock working.

• Like 1

My computer says 1757, so I guess I've missed the departure from Edinburgh.

attachicon.gifticket.jpg

The chances are that this would be the last ticket written out for Riccarton. For the story have a read here: http://www.railbrit.co.uk/articles.php?recno=31

Bruce

It's a great story, Bruce - just been ploughing through old copies of "The Waverley" to see which one you allowed it to be printed in - for any WRHA members interested it's in Journal 10 - available to download from the members' area here along with all back issues.

Bill

Also found that we printed an article in "The Waverley", Journal number 6 - it's the double centre pages - which includes a photo of 77011 at Reedsmouth on the last day of the Border Counties, amongst others. For WRHA members, back issues are all downloadable from the members' area here.

Any fully paid-up members who require the password, please contact us via the usual means with your membership number.

Guest Max Stafford

And for those around the Carlisle - Hawick section, there will be informal gatherings this weekend as we ponder the number 44 and the new dawn!

Dave.

• Like 2

And for those around the Carlisle - Hawick section, there will be informal gatherings this weekend as we ponder the number 44 and the new dawn!

Dave.

Was hoping to have been able to attend .... plans scuppered unfortunately   :cry:

• Like 1

It's a great story, Bruce - just been ploughing through old copies of "The Waverley" to see which one you allowed it to be printed in - for any WRHA members interested it's in Journal 10 - available to download from the members' area here along with all back issues.

The full story will include the viewpoint of the lad on my Velocette chasing the train to Stobs: he didn't give up on me, but went on to Shankend where he assumed that I would have got off there. As I didn't, events took a comedic turn as he started wondering if I had jumped the train after Stobs!

Bruce

• Like 2

I pondered the number 44 on your behalf from soggy Lincolnshire: all I could come up with was the last junction on the M6 and the age I'll be next week. As for "new dawn", darkness gradually morphed into battleship grey around about 08:15.....
  • Like 1

Got my eye on one of these at the mo .... Peak Class 46, D139 (later 46002) on 1M91 at Melrose, 31st August 1968.

Strathwood are releasing a few copies of each transparency in their archive, available through their eBay shop. I don't think much of their slide scanner or processing though, horrendous colours!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASS-46-PEAK-D139-at-Melrose-on-31-August-1968-Railway-Slide-/150894849808?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item232208af10

$%28KGrHqV,!ocF!JQ-!9yqBQR3Vcop%29g~~60_

• Like 1

Got my eye on one of these at the mo .... Peak Class 46, D139 (later 46002) on 1M91 at Melrose, 31st August 1968.

Strathwood are releasing a few copies of each transparency in their archive, available through their eBay shop. I don't think much of their slide scanner or processing though, horrendous colours!

The challenge for you sir is to disguise a 37 as one of these prior to 6/1/14. Two extra wheelsets required for a start

I'm coming to the party in the guise of the local p.way called out to remove a Landrover....

Edited by Newcastleton P.Way
  • Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

This isn't a Waverley shot at all, but as this train did work south over our pet railway I thought it worth posting as it raises an interesting question about the composition of the train.

Now, are my eyes playing tricks or is vehicle  two of the rake one of the infamous SR Green transferrees?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/holycorner/8086714848/in/photostream/

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

This isn't a Waverley shot at all, but as this train did work south over our pet railway I thought it worth posting as it raises an interesting question about the composition of the train.

Now, are my eyes playing tricks or is vehicle  two of the rake one of the infamous SR Green transferrees?

Dave.

There are other pictures around Carlisle of this special showing the train, and the second coach is definitely maroon, but whether it's the same end of the train as your pic?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Dave.

Isn't it just the shadow of the signal box making it look darker?

Keith

Dave.

Remembered that there's currently a Colour Rail slide of this train available on ebay - looks pretty maroon throughout:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COLOUR-RAIL-35mm-RAILWAY-SLIDE-SC-153-CLASS-A2-60532-BLUE-PETER-/290840680336?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item43b7749790

$T2eC16Z,!zoE9s5ngLcbBQ1iSJSsCw~~60_58.J

Dave.

Tell you what is green though, Dave - D6844 to the right and behind Blue Peter  :sungum: 

Guest Max Stafford

6844 - Another one on my radar! I knew I could rely on Matt and Pete to keep me right, thanks guys. It was only last night that that odd effect on the second vehicle made me doubt that it was all maroon! By strange coincidence I'd just dug out my own Blue Peter and I think I'm going to have to paint the nameplate blue. Any idea when it was painted that way Pete or was it specifically done for this tour?

Dave.

By strange coincidence I'd just dug out my own Blue Peter and I think I'm going to have to paint the nameplate blue. Any idea when it was painted that way Pete or was it specifically done for this tour?

Dave.

Defintely not done just for that tour, Dave. Photos of 60532 seem to be a bit rare before it became more than just 'another A2'. It definitely had blue plates in 1965. It looks as if it did not have them in August 1963 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/60631240@N02/5542698668/. This is the only picture of it I can find dated '1964' but nothing more precise than that - http://www.flickr.com/photos/thunderbuckram/7691921270/ and the plate appears to have a blue background. However, I have seen another couple of picture with '1965' as the date, and the plates are definitely not blue. Overall, I would guess the plates were painted blue some time in 1965.

Anyone got more detailed information?

A Mr David Grieve on Project Hawick has identified himself and two others in an old RailBrit photo.

Link to the photo: http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=27736

Accompanying post:

Was just browsing through the links on this Thread to view the pictures of engines at Hawick Station, and was surprised to see an old photo of ME standing on the platform with a couple of my friends. Link to the photo given above.

I'm in the middle, with my hands in my pockets (as was the norm !).
Nearest the camera is Derek Barnes ("Barney") who came from Burnfoot.
Furthest away is Douglas Ritson, ("Dougie") who lived down Mansfield Road.

Isn't that strange????

David Grieve (aka Border Collie)

No problem with you sharing the info- couldn't believe it myself at first but when I zoomed in on the photo, easily recognised myself and my mates.
Think it must have been taken on a Saturday morning or afternoon- that's when I inhabited the Station platforms most!
I will post more about my Waverley Line story later tonight- a history puzzle that still baffles me.
All the best
  • Like 1