Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

• RMweb Premium

^^^

Stobs viaduct, I remember standing under that very arch back in August 2005 and that area has a LOT more trees today so that you cannot see the viaduct from the Hawick - Whitrope road or even from that country lane until you are underneath!

I note that the doom mongers are out again in relation to one of the potential bidders for building the reopened line pulling out.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/Doubts-over-Borders-rail-line.6617862.jp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-11717142

Any chance we could club together and have a go at a bid ourselves?

I have got a pick, a shovel and templot software what more do we need. No requirement for any awkward baseboard jionts or DCC and No space retrictions. If we felt like extending then its a clear run all the way to Carlisle.

Just exactly how strong is plywood?

I note that the doom mongers are out again in relation to one of the potential bidders for building the reopened line pulling out.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/Doubts-over-Borders-rail-line.6617862.jp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-11717142

Even though one of the bidders has pulled out there are still two remaining which means that things will carry on as planned. For such a large project it is not surprising that one of the bidders has dropped out.

Colin

I think this is a new one. The back ground view has not changed today only this stuff inside the railway fence is missing

http://www.railbrit....te.php?id=31434

Oh, that's incredible, what an excellent shot of another blue Peak, (60 LYTHAM ST ANNES, busy on the line's last weekend) blue&grey stock, it's 1M01, Loch Park - simply so many gorgeous elements for this devotee :rolleyes:

Interestingly, she's another early Brush conversion to single centre headcode panel shown to have worked the line in this condition, fantastic counterpart to Bruce's Peak-hauled Carflat empties in roughly the same spot.

Now, who snapped a 50 just here? wink.gif

EDIT: note the crewbus peeping out as well! Morris JA unless I'm very much mistaken. Edited by 'CHARD

Oh, that's incredible, what an excellent shot of another blue Peak, blue&grey stock, it's 1M01, Loch Park - simply so many gorgeous elements for this devotee :rolleyes:

Interestingly, she's another early Brush conversion to single centre headcode panel shown to have worked the line in this condition, fantastic counterpart to Bruce's Peak-hauled Carflat empties in roughly the same spot.

Chard - is this loco identifiable ?

A single row namer with no crest, fitted with a modified one piece box, and a date.

Sadly I'm no expert on the big cromptons, but there are some about.

I'll try it on WNXX.

Chard - is this loco identifiable ?

A single row namer with no crest, fitted with a modified one piece box, and a date.

Sadly I'm no expert on the big cromptons, but there are some about.

I'm not stepping up to the E-mark, but I'd put a modest bet on Lytham St Annes (D60) - fits the bill and was one of the infamous Holbeck trio of namers (with Royal Tank Regiment and Honourable Artillery Company), and thus a WR regular

Edit - she's also dual braked, quite an early example. If only I could be bothered to check that D&EG directoryrolleyes.gif

Not quite the Waverley Route, but you'd travel through here from the Borders.

Craigentinny with D5527: Portobello Power Station in the background. 30 September 1959

Bruce

Note that the white stripe continues through the tablet catcher recess. Not something that I have ever seen on a model.For the seeker after minor variations a study of the different types of stripe painting would make an interesting project. :unsure:

I did this on my Heljan 26 by using a length of the diagonal stripe transfers intended for 16t minerals.

Bernard

Just to keep this thread going.

A different view at Shankend. I can remember seeing, and especially hearing, this beast go up through Hawick with the sound reverberating off the tenements opposite Lochpark Depot.

• Like 2

Bruce, that scuttling railborne creature is a thing of legend, fantastic spot - taken from Shankend 'box I reckon. Here are a few more from the Railbrit vault:

I could look at images taken from this vantage point all day long and never tire of them, BFYE D89 passes Lochpark as the line enters its final week of life:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=31526

A bit of a cheat, this one; Peebles Caley, dismantled but otherwise intact in ’62. Sadly, this sight would afflict the entire Borders network by the decade’s end.

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=31520

60A’s D5131 in wonderfully photogenic eBFYE livery on the (unofficial) Farewell To The Waverley – really just the business-as-usual 09.20 2S52 on Saturday 4th January - another from the inestimable archive of K.A.Gray, who I suspect may have seen Class 50s traverse the line. This is a real wrench, read the caption and feel the dull pain of loss.

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=31508

Just to keep this thread going.

A different view at Shankend. I can remember seeing, and especially hearing, this beast go up through Hawick with the sound reverberating off the tenements opposite Lochpark Depot.

It's a very early Matissa tamper, isn't it? A bit more primitive than the current types...

No, Kenneth never saw a 50 on the line. I recently had this discussion with him.

But Class 50s have been photographed going through Hawick and I had a camera with me one time when D402 passed Lochpark but never bothered. (Well someone could have told me they were unusual! They were just big, green locos to me.)

Incidentally, I scanned all 3900+ of Kenneth's negatives - very few had ever been printed and most had written off as 'underexposed' but it's amazing what photo-manipulation can do, and he's been generous in sharing them on the RailBrit site. There's some 1200 of the late Robin Barbour but I think that most of the b/w have now "gone up" on the site. I have sent along to Railbrit some colour scans of Robins, but am keeping the rest (ie the good ones!) of the colour back for a forth-coming publication.

• Like 1

Hehehehe - that was a nice teaser at the end sir! That's been a tough secret to keep, I can relax a bit now :lol:

Mind you, for those of us who have a peek on Cairndhu from time to time, it's actually been out in the public domain for a little while, I was just reluctant to broach it on here, so I'm delighted that you have.

I know Dave will try not to froth, but I can't vouch for the others... B)

Guest Max Stafford

Bruce. I've not had a chance to see any of the old boys regarding your Longtown question from a few weeks back. Work started on the Cumberland Gap roadworks in late 1970 though so definitely no goods traffic beyond about August that year.

Dave.

Green or blue - it was certainly big! Although my colour recognition/recollection is awry it certainly was D402.

I'm afraid that I can't recollect the numbers of the other class 50s that went through Hawick, but I'll ask.

Here's the list I got this morning:

D400; 401; 402; 406; 407; 416; 418; 425; 429; 434; 438 and 442

with the note that the sender had seen four of these himself and is enquiring further about possible photographs of class 50s.

Bruce

• Like 1

Bruce. I've not had a chance to see any of the old boys regarding your Longtown question from a few weeks back. Work started on the Cumberland Gap roadworks in late 1970 though so definitely no goods traffic beyond about August that year.

Dave.

Without going into the MS/BM back-story on this one, this particular detail is one which has been troubling me for ages, but I have never got round to raising it on here.

April '69 freight ceases to Hawick

August '70 ceases to Longtown

date forgotten ATM ('72ish?), ceases to Lady Vic colly.

I had visions of it being livestock traffic surviving to Longtown, but reality suggests MoD was far more likely. My related question would obviously relate to traction for this residual service, and its frequency - as required, or a Carlisle thrice-weekly target in the Special Notice...?

I love this line. Now, who can find a sketch of the scuttling bothy for Bernard :P Lovely description!

I love this line. Now, who can find a sketch of the scuttling bothy for Bernard :P Lovely description!

The Fat Controller has given me some information re Matisa and I have sent them an email on the off chance that they might be able to provide some more details. A long shot I know but worth a try.

Re your other point. During my research for 'The Forthcoming Publication' I came across the LMR operations file that explained at least some of the history, including a piece about dates of operation due to the rebuilding of road bridges north of Carlisle. I did not follow it up unforunately as I was looking for specific items at the time. :(

Bernard

Without going into the MS/BM back-story on this one, this particular detail is one which has been troubling me for ages, but I have never got round to raising it on here.

I had visions of it being livestock traffic surviving to Longtown, but reality suggests MoD was far more likely. My related question would obviously relate to traction for this residual service, and its frequency - as required, or a Carlisle thrice-weekly target in the Special Notice...?

The register for closed signal boxes gives 30 August 1970 (a Sunday), Clinker in his Register gives 31 August 1970* the asterisk denoting private siding(s) is/are still open. I wonder if that would refer to the one into MoD Smalmstown?

And here's one of my photos - yep - out of focus as usual. Taken the day of BURCo road-to-rail trial in 1970: it was one horrendous WET day!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi 'Chard,

Lady Victoria Colliery...

'The colliery stopped shipping coal by rail in 1968'

'Coal production ceased in 1981'

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Guest Max Stafford

In 1970, there was still extensive traffic into Brunthill Siding (RAF 14MU) This is the stretch that is mostly still active today up to the current freight terminal. Back in active WR days, this was the exchange point for the vast RAF internal system, now long gone along with the Crabfats. At this point interestingly, ingress and egress to the mainline was controlled by a Bachmann 'Scenecraft' signal box, increased in dimensions by a factor of 76! It can be seen briefly in the lengthy end sequence of the CineRail film.

Additionally, the sidings at erstwhile Harker station would occasionally be used for traffic from an adjacent satellite site of the unit and it's fair to say this could conceivably remained active until the final act, not long after Sir Alf's inglorious return from Mexico... ;)

Dave.