Best glue for sticking plastic to wood?

RobboPetes

I' looking at building a representation of Wolverhampton steel terminal as the main building on my new layout. I want to build the unit in plasticard but have the main sub-structure in plywood.

I have looked at woodworker's PVA or an impact adhesive, such as Evostick, and wondered if either of these would be the best to use. The layout will be portable and designed with exhibitions in mind.

Any recommendations due to personal experience please?

I don't think PVA will work at all well. Evostick will work, but must be applied sparingly as it can melt plastic sheet. The solvent is slow drying and being trapped between the two layers has time to soften the plastic.

Plasticard can also be attached to a wood structure by using solvent (Mekpak, etc.) run between the two layers. That softens the PC surface which then bonds to the wood. However, the solvent evaporates rapidly and doesn't cause the Evostick problem (provided you don't over do it).This ls the technique used for building plastic chaired track on wooden sleepers.

That's how the (unfinished) bridge shown here was built, using Slaters Plasticard on a 4mm ply sub-structure.

post-1191-0-19845000-1348386961_thumb.jpg

I would suggest solvent-free Evostik. Possibly it sticks less firmly than the standard Evostik but I have found it to be entirely satisfactory for model making. It spreads more easily than the standard version, is odourless and has the advantage of being white.

All,

Thank you all for your recommendations. I will try both the Plastic Weld and rocket glue methods on some scrap bits to determine which one works best for myself. As they say - the proof is in the pudding. Watch out for the results on my blog.

Rob.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Further to this thread, has anybody any experience of failure in bonding plastic card to a wood substructure (2mm thick MDF in my case) over time using any of the traditional methods mentioned?

I do have failure problems with double sided tape over a three year period. I'm having to seal many of the edges with thin cyano.

What is the experience of using 'butanone' type solvents for bonding plastic card to other materials? It seems to work well, but it's the long term durability that I'm considering here.

Thanks.

Depending on the plastic some plastics - food cartons for example - won't respond to any glue whereas modelling styrene will (except for water based adhesives of course, PVA etc ) but when gluing plastic to wood I prefer meduim density super glue - but you need to be quick.

Impact adhesives, Evostik etc, need only be applied to one side and positioned whilst still wet then wieghted down. However, be carefull when gluing very thin sheets of styrene down because Evostik will 'corrode' through - anything a mil thick or over, just fine.

Allan

• RMweb Gold

Personally? I would use Mitre Bond, it's a thick gel type cyano with a spray activator. apply glue to one face, activator to the other - I'd spray the plastic, then bring the two together.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-mitre-adhesive-200ml/41795

it's known as "Man Glue" in our house and is probably the weapon of choice these days for mending toys etc etc etc

Hi there,

In my profession I use B&Q none solvent impact ahesive, its a milky/copydex texture but dries transparent and grabs very well, I use it when wanting to put a layer of plastic onto the likes of thin ply and it is friendly with the plastic.

i have had very good results with UHU onto wood and plastic together eg MDF and ply etc.

cheers

Peter

From my experience, as I used to scratchbuild wooden structure out of stripwood or Balsa glued onto Styrene, I used simple Plastic Glue (like the Revell Contacta liquid or the MEK from Slaters). The wood litteraly absorbs any kind of liquid. So as the "glue" will soften and "melt" the styrene in surface, this will be absorbed by the wood, thus creating a strong and even bond between the two materials. I built such structures about ten years ago, and they are still OK...

Cheers,

Ricky.

Hi Alan

Words of wisdom are those I never thought of that although when I was a teenager I nailed a patterned continental quilt to my bedroom wall was into jethro tull and lots of booze in those days and very long hair but I don't know what that's got to do with gluing plastic and wood I think I lost the plot :-)

Peter

Hi Alan

Words of wisdom are those I never thought of that although when I was a teenager I nailed a patterned continental quilt to my bedroom wall was into jethro tull and lots of booze in those days and very long hair but I don't know what that's got to do with gluing plastic and wood I think I lost the plot :-)

Peter

Re veneered an antique table once Peter with formica and six inch nails.

Also had long hair and was legless when I done it - and when I was a kid, and even when I wasn't, jam glued everything.

Cheers.

Allan.

Archived