Staining wood sleepers grey?

Gordon A

I am looking to give the P4 Track Company wooden sleepers a try.

I would like the colour to be greyish in nature to represent old sleepers on an industrial line.

Do you have any suggestions as to the best stain / dye to use?

I get the impression that the Jacobean Oak comes out a brownish colour.

Gordon A

Bristol

Hi Gordon

Pick your Humbrol grey and thin down with white spirit - it will then soak into the wood rather than sitting on top like paint.

Alternatively, use a brown/black mix thinned as above to give original colour to the timber and then weather with the grey.

No need for fancy stains!

Regards.

• 1 month later...

Hi Gordon

Just a few thoughts regaurding staing wood that you could try. Ronseal do a black ash wood stain, and if thined with Hamerite thinners instead of terps or white spirit, turns the stain into a thin wash just like thin washes of watercour paint when paintin in water colours as these washes are put down in thin washes. Also befour brushing the thined washes of stain over wooden timbers it might pay to fade the main colour of the wooden timbers befour adding the wood stain washes.. The timbers can be brushed with washes of BLEACH. This make timbers a white look, when allowed to dry then staining will give the aged look that you maybe looking for, also dry brush some grated chalk powder can add some depth then colurs can be fixed into place with Humbrol Matt Clear sprayed over top and rails cleaned

Melvyn

Thanks Mel.

Gordon A

I am looking to give the P4 Track Company wooden sleepers a try.

I would like the colour to be greyish in nature to represent old sleepers on an industrial line.

Do you have any suggestions as to the best stain / dye to use?

I get the impression that the Jacobean Oak comes out a brownish colour.

Gordon A

Bristol

I used Colron light oak with a touch of added black, on S4 socy and Studiolith timbers.

Just soaked all timbers overnight, spread to dry in sun on newspaper.

Final finish with airbrush muckiness after laying and ballasting.

Sorry for late reply...had a month off RMWEb due to too busy elsewhere!

You have chance to see again in 2 weeks time and sample for this Tuesday.

Archived