scale time and clocks

worzel

• RMweb Gold

Jim my memories of New Street are of a number of movements happening at the same time during the busy spells. so perhaps you actually need a number of sequence threads to replicate that. I suppose logically it took quite a lot of staff to run New St so you should need quite a few to run the model. Rather than speeding up the clock between moves you would be stopping while you caught up!

Don

• RMweb Gold

Very true Don

I have a very different problem in that by ordering train moves as a sequence I see them taking longer than the prototype - unless I have a stupid amount of operators that is. Theres something like 85 moves in the first hour!

Cheers

Jim

Parallel sequences (=more operators of course but then how many are needed to 'run' real New St?)

Parallel sequences (=more operators of course but then how many are needed to 'run' real New St?)

Nothing like a clock to concentrate the minds of 3 drivers who are supposed to be driving three simultaneous departures! Stops all the shouting from the signalman/controller trying to co-ordinate them..... I'll get my coat :bye:

Andy

• RMweb Gold

[pernickity]

Which is actually the same thing...

[/pernickity]

If I could put you in touch with my maths teacher, you could try and tell him that - in my day corporal punishment was still acceptable, and that's what you would receive if you called it "squared" - not saying he was right, but I wouldn't have ever suggested he was wrong.

Nothing like a clock to concentrate the minds of 3 drivers who are supposed to be driving three simultaneous departures! Stops all the shouting from the signalman/controller trying to co-ordinate them..... I'll get my coat :bye:

Andy

No need for shouting - thats what the signals will be for.

My plan is to detach the operators from the trains. So a move will be (for example) drive DMU x from fiddleyard to signal Y. That would be the move complete and the 'driver' can go on to his next move that might be drive train from platform 12 to east fiddleyard. Chances are when DMU x is to move from signal Y to platform 2 a different driver will be driving.

The idea is that drivers are driving all the time although trains are not always moving. If a driver drops out then no one has to pick up what he was doing as the computer will just display the next move and whoever is free will pick it up.

Not sure how we are going to do it yet but thats the idea.

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Gold

I have worked out a relatively simple way to do it. I have set a powerpoint slide show to advance slide once per minute - as an example of what you can do. It starts at 0001 and runs real time fo 5 minutes for the arrival of your last train. It then moves to 0020 losing the dead time you dont want and going to departure time. It then runs real time again for 5 minutes for the last departure to run before hiccuping to 0526 for the first train of the next day.

If that's the sort of thing you want you can animate any clock you want wih any speeds and any chunks of time missing. Duplicate slide function works like animation, just make 60 slides per full hour then change each one to be timed a minute after the next. Simples. For £350 i'd build you one (LOL)

I tried to upload it here for people to look at but powerpoint isnt an allowed format.

Anyone who wants it can PM me with an enail address and I'll ping it over

It's called the MILF ...

Not really. Theres no line finding, its a pre determined sequence based on 3 hours from thoughout the real day (we wont have a mr beast driving the laptop, the laptop will drive itself). Whatever we do will be built arround JMRI

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Not really. Theres no line finding, its a pre determined sequence based on 3 hours from thoughout the real day (we wont have a mr beast driving the laptop, the laptop will drive itself). Whatever we do will be built arround JMRI

Cheers

Jim

Real things gone awry from time to time ... a random delay element would be good to build in, otherwise it will be something the railway rarely achieved, a perfect operation.

Viewers wouldnt know if it was a genuine problem or a built in one though would they? Why make things complicated? I appreciate the vote of confidence that the signalling would be the only cause of problems/delays. I would be surprised if its the case.

Cheers

Jim

:offtopic:

[pedant]

It's actually metres per second per second - squared has nothing to do with it

[/pedant]

If I could put you in touch with my maths teacher, you could try and tell him that - in my day corporal punishment was still acceptable, and that's what you would receive if you called it "squared" - not saying he was right, but I wouldn't have ever suggested he was wrong.

In mathematics, dividing by a number (or unit) is the same as multiplying by its reciprocal. Therefore, the terms metres per second per second and metres per second squared are technically interchangeable. That is (metres / seconds) / seconds = metres / seconds * 1 / seconds = metres / (seconds * seconds) = metres / seconds 2.

In shorthand notation, the units are almost always written as ms-2 or m/s2 (metres per second squared): I can't recall ever seeing it written m/s/s. However, since acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time, I agree that referring to metres per second per second is a far more informative way of expressing what acceleration is. I'm going to suggest that that is why your maths teacher preferred that description. After all, how do you explain what a second squared is?

Regards

David

It's called the MILF ...

Can I ask what MILF stands for (assuming that its not the xxx acronym that appears when you google it). JMRI, I assume is Java Model Railroad Interface; something I had never previously heard of.

Regards

David

• RMweb Gold

I believe its Mikes Intelligent Line Finder. Beast will be along to confirm at some point.

Correct Jim - you know a lot about MILFs.

It's basically a random train generator that "knows" what trains are where in the fiddle yard and generates the next train to be run from those available. Our layout is operated by drivers and signalmen, so the driver will be allocated a train and drive it onto the layout, obey the signals and any instructions (e.g. set back into the yard) and then drives back again, so the MILF controls what the next train to run is, and the next free driver takes it.

• RMweb Premium

I have worked out a relatively simple way to do it. I have set a powerpoint slide show to advance slide once per minute - as an example of what you can do. It starts at 0001 and runs real time fo 5 minutes for the arrival of your last train. It then moves to 0020 losing the dead time you dont want and going to departure time. It then runs real time again for 5 minutes for the last departure to run before hiccuping to 0526 for the first train of the next day.

If that's the sort of thing you want you can animate any clock you want wih any speeds and any chunks of time missing. Duplicate slide function works like animation, just make 60 slides per full hour then change each one to be timed a minute after the next. Simples. For £350 i'd build you one (LOL)

I tried to upload it here for people to look at but powerpoint isnt an allowed format.

Anyone who wants it can PM me with an enail address and I'll ping it over

Hi Colin

That seems a very expensive set of flip cards :)

Most people operate their layouts, I run what I want to when I want to, method. That is great for them. Others wish to run to a time table, now most who do that do so as a movement by movement sequence not over worrying about how long it should take or not take. This is the one I prefer. Then there are those who want to be timed by a clock, real of "scale". That's great for them but I spend all week working to a tight time table. I don't want to when I get time to go into the man shed :no:

It's called the MILF ...

Some young lads called my sister the above....which is even funnier as she is gay :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Colin

That seems a very expensive set of flip cards :)

Most people operate their layouts, I run what I want to when I want to, method. That is great for them. Others wish to run to a time table, now most who do that do so as a movement by movement sequence not over worrying about how long it should take or not take. This is the one I prefer. Then there are those who want to be timed by a clock, real of "scale". That's great for them but I spend all week working to a tight time table. I don't want to when I get time to go into the man shed :no:

I was actually replying to the OP which seems an unusual practice here - he was asking for a way of achieiving something and I suggested a way forward rather than questioning his reasoning for asking. Its not expensive at all, assuming you have powerpoint. The (joke) reference to £350 referred to the OP

• RMweb Premium

Hi Colin

I realised you were joking about the cost of a power point "driven" time table. The idea of combining real time for movements and "dead time" when the "dull" bits are happening is what many already do. Using a system where the next "flip card" is presented after a time lapse sounds an ideal system for those who like to work to against/with a clock. Using what many of us have on our computers to do so is a great idea.

Sorry for having a power point phobia. I use to have to give presentations and be bored by other peoples, for me to think of it as a means of helping so modellers seems miles away. I do hope that some people will contact you to see what your system could do for them.

Archived