Bachmann 55018 DCC sound issue

Deltic-Jack

Hello Guys,

I recently bought Bachmann 55018 DCC sound and noticed the sound wasn’t quiet in sync with the loco movement so after reading some posts on this forum I sent my chip to be re-blown. It has returned and I have installed it in the loco but there is terrible amount of loud static noise when the loco moves, the lights flash on off also the loco isn't smooth running anymore it judders along.

Are these signs that the decoder is faulty or something has gone wrong with the re-blown files?

Thanks in advance.

As with all these things, if you paid money to have the decoder re-blown then your first port of call is to the supplier who took your money.

If this was a private job then you will need the original sound project and the ESU Lokprogrammer as a starting point.

If either of these is reported as being OK when they run it then it is a fault in installation.

These issues have to be dealt with first before we can reliably assist you. The alternative is a raft of suggestions based on experience that will not necessarily provide an answer and may result in loss of decoder function altogether.

Firstly though it might help if we knew if the decoder is an ESU Loksound and which version it is.

Hi and thanks for replying,

I’m not sure what type it is or version it is. It's the standard Bachmann DCC sound they fit to the lastest Deltic they released with sound.

I’m new to all this, would it be possible to distinguish the type by placing it on the program track? I have a Gaugemaster dcc02 system.

I've spoken to the company and have since found out its the standard speaker I have temp replaced it with the bass reflex and the static noise is gone, the issue with juddering was the speed step set to 28 and not 128. I still don't have totally smooth running but they've told me I need to alter cv's 51,52,53 and 54 but I would know where to start!

Jack,

The v4 chip has a built in 'auto-tune' function for the motor-control CV's. Carry this out as follows to obtain smooth running;

Place the loco on the track with plenty of room in front and behind, or on a rolling road

Set CV54 to zero

Press F1. The loco will shoot off at high speed and then stop. Following this, the motor will run smoothly but you may then need to adjust the CV’s for top speed (CV5) and mid speed (CV6) (or the speed table if they've used one) to suit your personal preference.

Hope this helps,

Bif

I've spoken to the company and have since found out its the standard speaker I have temp replaced it with the bass reflex and the static noise is gone, the issue with juddering was the speed step set to 28 and not 128. I still don't have totally smooth running but they've told me I need to alter cv's 51,52,53 and 54 but I would know where to start!

Good oh but what ohmage is it? If it is 100 ohms Bif's advice won't work. if it is 8 ohm or 4 ohm then it will.

There is no guarantee that a factory fit Bachmann product will have a version 4 Loksound decoder in it although it is increasingly unlikely that it won't as time goes on.

Hi All,

it is a Loksound v4 and it was programmed by SWD with the deltic multi start files with a 4ohm speaker, I did try the F1 method it's a little better but still judders on acceleration. I have tried to read the CV values on the program track but it returns a error message? (Gaugemaster DCC02 controller) I was hoping to write down the values of CV's 51 to 54 but that's not going to happening, also the top of the loco gets quite hot where the decoder is sitting is this right?

I'm pleased with the sound although when you start the loco and notch up the controller the sound revs up then idles down then revs up again as you increase the controller I'm not sure if I remember them being quite like that but I was only a boy when I used to watch them leaving KX.

Regards,

Jack

Archived