Porth Aberdovey.

Trains&armour

And another thing, I came across this postcard on Ebay, send in 1909. What first caught my eye was the private owner wagon but on further examination of the card the bumb buffered wagon behind the GWR 4 plank was what really excited me .  Zoomed in view: 

image.png.6199aac90146266e941d652b74c7e52d.png

Posted it earlier on the "More Pre-Grouping Wagons in 4mm" thread to discuss. 

And if my eyes don't deceive me, the bottom line reads Aberdovey, the middle Coal &, and the top lettering starts with a G.
Now, according to Mike Lloyd (private owners on the Cambrian), there are only three known Aberdovey traders with their own wagon, and  one of them is Griffith Davies & son, still listed in 1926. And the only trader with a name starting with a "G"

Way too early for my period, but an Aberdovey wagon... I thought of building it in this way, with visible but faded lettering, somewhere in a corner of the layout: 

image.png.915c23286a1d48d0130aa863a047c0a7.png

Described in M Lloyd, private owners on the Cambrian, p 12, at Porthywaen:

The photograph was taken in 1952 but the foreman at the yard said the wagon body had been in the same position for 50 years. The makeshift roof being added when it was converted to store salt.

After some toing and froing this is the possible reconstruction I came up with:
1074940339_8tonopenwagondaviesblack3.jpg.ebc662b0a8039369dbe87edb8790f268.jpg

The lettering on the second half of the Aberdovey wagon is no more than an educated guess. it could as well be Coal & Coke Merchants, or, as popular in the area, Coal & Lime Merchants. And on page 7 of M. Llloyd's  book there is an photo of a wagon of a nearby trader: Thomas & Jones, Coal , Lime & General Merchants, Aberystwyth.

And as to the general merchants bit, Griffith  Davies is mentioned several times in the Welsh Gazette and West Wales Advertiser as a merchant, and in the Gazette of 28th March 1907 I found this bit of intriguing information: 

Shipping News. — The s.s. Droxmore arrived at aberdovey harbour on Friday noon with a cargo of oats and potatoes from Newry, Ireland, part of which was discharged to Mr. Griffith Davis.

Does sound like he was  a general merchant besides being a coal merchant.

And for those interested in pre grouping wagons, a possible reconstruction of the other PO wagon:

1211087955_10tonopenwagonHawkinsblack2.jpg.8acbffd6c7cae443a009cda59d8a4f1d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am not sure why I never replied to your thread so that I knew when it was updated.  I hope that you will be able to make a start sometime soon.  The drawing of the station that you gave me has been very useful.

• Thanks 1