Czech Republic and Poland

Hobby

The JHMD's Resita setting off from Jindrichuv Hradec on Sunday 23rd at 1050... It worked the steam specials on the 22nd and 23rd, they were shunting with U37 when I arrived on the Friday but it was left on display for the Saturday. The line is 33km long and the steamer takes nearly 2 hours for the journey, the line is very bendy with plenty of gradients, not as steep as Golfa but not far off but not as long! The last couple of times I've been there they've been using the Resita so i assume it's been a better buy than the Weslhpool's! The load was 8x4 wheelers and one of their MAV bogie coaches, on the Saturday there was one extra coach...

8032290762_0795078cd4.jpg

The Reista posing:

Sept12400.jpg

Their Lxd2:

Sept12343.jpg

The Boat Train:

Sept12445.jpg

One for you all to puzzle over how to motorise it in HOe!

Sept12347.jpg

A model railway in the goods shed:

Sept12330.jpg

U37.002:

Sept12215.jpg

th_Sept12189.jpg

The colour is definitely getting pinker as it fades from the original purple!

Sept12227.jpg

Moving on to Poland...

First the Polish Narrow Gauge Museum at Sochaczew, they have two sections to the museum, one is made up of several lines of locos, mostly out of use and with some assorted stock. The other section is the one with the real scrappy stuff and the running shed, regrettably they wouldn't let me round the latter...

Sept12558.jpg

Sept12567.jpg

Sept12512.jpg

Sept12527.jpg

Next the preserved line at Bytom, the only one within easy distance of Katowice. It was situated on the fringe of a rather run down housing estate (though they all looked that way, makes our sink estates look nice!), and they obviously suffered from a graffiti problem. Again I couldn't get round the running sheds, though not surprising in this case. Compared with our preserved lines (and the Czech lines) it looks really run-down... The only steam locos left outside were non runners, not sure if the diesels were runners either, though one Lxd2 looked ok... Note the buffers on some of the stock...

Sept12708.jpg

Sept12691.jpg

Sept12698.jpg

The NG line in Poland, is diesel powered and runs during the summer, from the back platform in the main Bytom station (reached by a grotty underground passage) to a place called Miasteczko Slaskie (translates as 'small town in Silesia' !). The journey takes about an hour and twists and turns through the back end of Bytom, through countryside and a forest, to a roadside terminus at Miasteczko Slaskie. If you do the journey, get off in the forest - there's a cafe, good walks and cold beer! Don't do what my wife and I did, which was to go to the terminus: as soon as you're there, the train disappears in the direction of Bytom and you're stranded in a very odd town (and I've seen a lot of them!), for two hours.

On the return journey, the loco headed the train to the outskirts of Bytom, where the loco shed is, then ran round it and proceeded to propel it back into Bytom: I guess ready for the next journey out. Don't expect freindly, English-style service (even if you do speak Polish) from the staff. They are bluff and a bit surly, but the fare is very cheap- about = to a couple of quid (single fare).

I'm back in Silesia next week for the foreseeable future, so I'll try to update more info. when I get there.

Allow yourself plenty of time to get around, if you are using public transport buses are normally quicker than trains, and if following narrow gauge make sure its in the summer when the majority are working...

Don't expect freindly, English-style service (even if you do speak Polish) from the staff. They are bluff and a bit surly, but the fare is very cheap- about = to a couple of quid (single fare).

I'm back in Silesia next week for the foreseeable future, so I'll try to update more info. when I get there.

Funny you should say that. When I first visited Poland (in the days when railway photography was barely tolerated, let's say), the Director of the Railway Museum (who was responsible for issuing permits, but also id a lot to encourage Western enthusiasts) gave me a warning that Bytom was pretty difficult and best not to attempt photography there. Although I passed through Bytom, I never saw the narrow gauge on that visit, but we did arrive behind a TKt48 from Pyskowice and I heeded the advice not to take photographs (mainly because night was falling by the time we got there).

Archived