Team Track industry suggestion

jhock

Following on from a post by shortliner I just wondered what you guys think of an idea I have had inspired by Jacks post.

My new layout will have team track on it, the time period for the layout is the last 10 years to the present day.

I want to try and make use of some woodchip cars I have, so how about a local logging company set up a mobile whole tree chipper at the end of the team track and use it to load the cars as they have a big clearance job in the local area?

Just wondered if you guys think it would ever happen?

James

My understanding of the use of a team track was that any customer of the railroad could access it to load/unload their goods/products/whatever. Given that, using it to tranship from truck to car would be about right. However, I'm open to correction.

steve

James

At the end of the day it's your layout,and if you think it would work,go for it

Can't see a problem with the idea,after all it is a team track where you can load/unload most anything

Don't no if that has been much help,but i'm sure there will be others who my help

Ray

Following on from a post by shortliner I just wondered what you guys think of an idea I have had inspired by Jacks post.

My new layout will have team track on it, the time period for the layout is the last 10 years to the present day.

I want to try and make use of some woodchip cars I have, so how about a local logging company set up a mobile whole tree chipper at the end of the team track and use it to load the cars as they have a big clearance job in the local area?

Just wondered if you guys think it would ever happen?

James

I don't like raining on parades but I'm going to have to say, probably not. In the past ten years they'd truck the logs to a large processing operation. In the past the wood would have been shipped 'intact' by rail to a customer who'd chip on site or ship as pulpwood to the paper mill.

We have a Federal paperboard wood collecting operation north of here (Ridgeway, NC http://goo.gl/maps/tbX3X ) that supplies wood to a paper mill down near Wilmington NC. The wood used to move as long logs on modern skeleton cars. It all now moves as chips from wood collected from as far as 90 miles away from what I've been told.

Archived