Has anyone built/own a Dapol Travelling Dockside Crane ?

I've been looking for a dockside crane, and I've run across this model.

c030-travelling-dockside-crane.jpg

A Dapol C030 - Travelling Dockside Crane - and I have a few questions about it. Neither the Dapol site or any of the various internet ordering sites have any details about this model. I think that this is an old Airfix kit that I remember seeing advertised many, many years ago.

The questions all deal with the actual measurements of the model. I would appreciate measurements - either in inches or cm/mms - not scale feet and inches, since it is an OO model, and I intend to use it on my HO layout.

How large is the crane ?

Height - first from the ground to the lower portion of the crane platform, ie, how much vertical clearance ? Second from the ground to the top of the crane arm - I realize that would depend on at what angle the arm is position, but I would love to get a rough height number.

Width (side to side) - first the total horizontal width, ie, the outside of the platform legs; and then the internal clearence, ie, how much room is there to put it over a track.

Length (front to back) - just how long is it ?

Gauge - what is track gauge for actually putting the crane on a track and allowing it to be positioned along a dock ?

And last - is it a good model, the only photos I've seen are of the un-painted one and the Dapol finished one.

I would be getting this from a shop/site in GB and shipped to the US - I plan on getting a few models, but this one can change the layout of the dock to allow it to actually move, and the spacing of the tracks on the wharf.

Thanks in advance,

Gil, known as Bill somedays ... B)

I had one of these many years ago, bought when it first appeared as an Airfix kit. From memory, the base is roughly 4" x 4". It was designed so that a 00 train can pass underneath. Luckily the smaller British loading gauge means that a H0 scale US train works out much the same size as a British 00 one.

Gil - there are 3 on a wellknown internet auction site ATM all with more than 13 days to run - Note that as shown there is no jib raising/lowering "ropes"

Thanks Jack. I just won an Airfix one and will be shipped to me soon - it's located only 110 miles away in Brattleboro, VT ! Small world. :icon_thumbsup2:

I'll soon be able to measure it and see how it goes together. After I get it, I'll post the measurements so that anyone else needing the info will find it at hand.

Thanks once more,

Stu - thanks for the pointer. That looks interesting. I hadn't thought of trying to get it to move with motors, gears and such. I'm just thinking of moving it so that the scene can be changed, ie, if a boat or barge is docked, it can be set to be positioned near the vessel, and some appropriate rail car would be positioned for loading/unloading, like a flat car, or a gondola.

Compliments of the season to everyone

I remember building the Airfix dockside crane as a schoolboy and my trains ran underneath it. It would make an interesting addition to a dockside layout. A LNER Y8 or SR USA shunting a couple of vans through the legs would look good.

A thought/query has occured to me. How did such a crane move in real life?

Did they attach chains/ropes to the legs and pull it along the dockside rails?

This would be the sort risky action that took place in those days.

Has anyone any ideas/knowledge of dockside operations?

Earlswood Nob

(a signal box near where I grew up)

Archived