RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Apparently the double florin is still legal because no-one put it in the legislation for decimalisation.  I never saw one (or heard of one until recently).  Of course they are worth far more than 4 bob and in any case no-one would recognise them at the till if you offered one.

I've never had any problem with anyone refusing 20p coins,  (20p = 4/-).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Anyone remember my Blackpool pic of a "train replacement bus"? I took it on the last night of the traditional tramway, of the "Western Train" on Lytham Road, passing a bus stop sign, after leaving the depot. I posted it on here.

Sadly I can no longer find it (site upgrades?). I've also lost the original, and would love to have a copy back, if anyone downloaded it.

Edited by stewartingram
  • Friendly/supportive 3

What am I doing sitting indoors at a computer on a lovely day like today?

It's because I've been waiting several wet and dreich months for the appropriate moment to post this:

image.png.bd8ec6310ed47794b85b6f27a60c1116.png

• Like 2
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

There used to be one like that (no beer, though and a Lionel three-rail O gauge train was used) called HAMBURGER JUNCTION just north of Baltimore. Dad took me there once when I was home on leave from the Navy. Turned out that the burgers were really quite good. I even asked for it to be delivered by train even though the serving window was directly in front of me.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Only in America .

Party removed to avoid any talk of politics , just for the laugh .

Voters in Indiana were irate this week after they learned that the woman who they voted for - and the woman who won the XXXXXXXX  primary in which they were voting - had actually been dead for two months. Voters said that no one informed them that the woman had died, and there was nothing on her website that indicated she was no longer alive. They also blamed local media for not actually telling anyone what was happening.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Only in America .

Party removed to avoid any talk of politics , just for the laugh .

Voters in Indiana were irate this week after they learned that the woman who they voted for - and the woman who won the XXXXXXXX  primary in which they were voting - had actually been dead for two months. Voters said that no one informed them that the woman had died, and there was nothing on her website that indicated she was no longer alive. They also blamed local media for not actually telling anyone what was happening.

Well, you did say Indiana!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Well, you did say Indiana!

That allows people to search if they want to , but I didn't make any political statement ,

just reported the facts .     😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Voters in Indiana were irate this week after they learned that the woman who they voted for - and the woman who won the XXXXXXXX  primary in which they were voting - had actually been dead for two months. 

This is not that unusual - not routine but states do have election law to cover it.

A lot of time can pass between the filing deadline, the election and the winner taking office. It is quite plausible for this to happen.  If your news source was recent - then it would have been a primary election to select the party nominee for the November election.

Search provided me with this for the state of Washington:

1. If a candidate for partisan office dies prior to either the primary or general election, and the candidate's party does not substitute another candidate, the deceased candidate's name should remain on the election ballot.

2. If a candidate for judicial or other nonpartisan office dies before the primary or general election, the candidate's name should remain on the ballot; if the deceased candidate gains the most votes, the result is a vacancy in the office, to be filled as provided by law for the office in question.

3. If the name of a deceased candidate appears on the ballot, votes cast for the deceased candidate should be counted; if the deceased candidate gains the most votes, the result is a vacancy in the office; the person with the second highest vote total is not entitled to a certificate of election.

Obviously it results in a vacancy and that would be handled by the 'normal' procedure for vacancies which would depend on local law. Likely there would be an appointee until the first convenient election would be scheduled. 

Candidates may also be disqualified before an election.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Think about it.

image.png.ddfe022a20358a924bc2cb88d50619cb.png

She's looking for the spare wheel .    

Yes . I know it's under the lid before any smart *rse says anything .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

6 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Here's the source

Like I guessed. It was the recent primary.

Non-YouTube story here

Republican party officials will find a replacement for Pace via a caucus, according to the Star. The second-place finisher in the GOP primary was Army Lt. Catherine Ping, who received 30 percent of the vote. She has unsuccessfully run numerous times for the seat, per the Star.

We're about to have a primary election in Oregon - there are a lot of campaign ads on television. Had one of the candidates passed away, it would be all over the news.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1