Positioning 3rd Rail

hoover50008

• RMweb Premium

I haven't yet fitted thiurd rail but intend to on the new layout. I propose to construct a small jig which locks over the running rails and sleeper end and possibly moulded from clay before being created in wood.

As I also intend to run "live juice" the height and distance needs to be precise and while it may not be exactly prorotypical it will need to accommodate the pick-up shoes on Bachmann EMU stock.

The exact positioning of your own live rail should also take into account the need for it to be very close to the line swept by those shoes.

I should make a jig for that but generally I find that I can do it by eye, centred approximately 2mm in from the sleeper end on Peco code 100 track. I did make a drilling jig from scrap brass sheet to sit between the rails for fourth (centre) rail on the LT lines as that was much harder to judge by eye alone. Needless to say, the track power must be turned off when I'm using this jig!

If in doubt, though, making a simple jig is the way to go.

EDIT: I should add that all of my third rail, and third and fourth rail, is cosmetic only. Live applications will need much more precision.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Unfortunately I couldn't find the jig linked by Mike - only a piece of paper that was out of stock.  Does anyone know of any "off the shelf" jigs that I could buy for 3rd and 4th rail? - I think my skills are not up to building one!

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=346_347_360

The piece of paper has a small etched brass thingy at it's bottom rh corner, that's the jig!

As you say, out of stock, C & L seem to be having stocking problems at the mo.

OTTOMH I can't think of another supplier.

Mike.

Archived