Bernard Holden MBE, RIP

phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

Taken from the Bluebell's Website

From Roy Watts, Chairman BRPS

It is with deep regret that I have to announce the sad passing of our President, Bernard Holden MBE.

He died peacefully in his favourite chair at his nursing home near Burgess Hill surrounded by his favourite railway pictures.

Bernard was one of the leading figures in the creation of the Bluebell Railway, chairing the very first meeting of the then fledgling Society back in 1959. On retirement from British Rail he became "Superintendent of the Line" in 1971.

In recent years, by then as the Bluebell's President, there was nothing more satisfying for him than to be bought over to the Railway to take a trip over the line and see the continual progress being made, and at least he had the knowledge that the infamous Imberhorne cutting had been broken through as the extenson reaches its conclusion.

If there were two things that he always maintained a very keen interest in, it was progress on the extension to East Grinstead and his beloved "Brighton Saloon" carriage.

One thing that can be said was that he always followed Bluebell matters very closely, even in his later years, and there is a lot the railway owes to his foresight.

Details of the funeral arrangments will be notified in due course, and a full obituary published.

I am sure you will join me in offering the Holden family our most sincere condolences at this very sad time,

Given Bernard was instramental in getting a skeptical British Railways to take the four founding students seroiusly when they came up with the idea of replicating the Talyllyn down in Sussex, it is sad that he was unable to live long enough to see the railway get back into East Grinstead.

Guest Belgian

There's an affectionate tribute to him on the Telegraph's on-line site today.

It's sad when such towering figures in our area of interest passes away, and my sympathies and condolences go to his two sons. He certainly lived a very full and fulfilled life and we are all indebted to him for his vision and enthusiasm.

JE

• RMweb Gold

There's an affectionate tribute to him on the Telegraph's on-line site today.

What a very full and useful obituary! When I joined Redhill Control in 1968 there would be occasional mention of "Pasha" (sp?) Holden, who had clearly left his mark on that office - itself set up in the dark early days of the Hitler war, and initially in an underground bunker.

104 is a target very, very few of us will reach. I think most of us would say he earned it, and leaves a most splendid legacy.

• RMweb Premium

If half of the obituary I read in my paper is true (no reason to doubt it) then he lived a very full life doing something he loved.

The picture of him in my paper (aged a mere 101) shows a most genial looking man who would have passed for someone much younger.

The Bluebell line (and the preservation world in general) has lost a true great.

RIP and thanks Bernard.

such as the bluebell perchance ? god rest him , a dying breed

Well quite; but I was thinking along the lines of a statue...

Enthusiasts seem unwilling at times to celebrate the best of them; moreover, those who are the best are in my view, normally very modest.

We should celebrate the pioneers and heroes of railway preservation moreso than they have been. George Hinchcliffe for instance.

Archived