The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Prometheus

PaternosterRow

• RMweb Premium

Got this out on DVD today and just watched it. Has anyone any comments about it?

I've been waiting 33 years for Scott's follow up and I must say I was a little disappointed. Great graphics etc, but considering Alien was made the good old fashioned way back in '79 (real models, scenes, low level graphics, man dressed in an Alien suit etc) it still betters his latest offering for me!!

Just remember being spellbound back then - perhaps it's because I was only 17 then and was easily impressed? Saw it at the Gaumont (opposite old Snow Hill in Birmingham - all gone now) and remember that I was so transfixed that I still had my bag of popcorn as the end credits rolled!

Think he tried to stuff too much into the story line - mind you Fassbender's acting was superb and his character kept me watching.

Watched the original when I was seventeen too. The theater had these news seats that reclined. When the chest burster appeared, the sound of all those seats jerking hard against the stops was deafening!

Saw Prometheus in the theater with two 14 YO boys. They didn't really understand it, but didn't take any bathroom breaks, and had popcorn left over too. A first that.

After the fact, it really helps to read one of the online "what does it all mean" write ups to fully appreciate what is transpiring. I thought Prometheus was first rate entertainment and paid excellent homage to the original. Of course, Prometheus doesn't explain how the Predators fit into the franchise. :winkclear:

DVDs don't come out on this side of the pond till Tuesday, it is on the buy immediately list, and we don't buy very many DVDs...

• RMweb Gold

Mike, hi

We saw it in Spain the other month at the flix...and my wife and I loved it :yes:

It does look good on a big screen and it was also in 3D too, which may have helped.

Overall, I really enjoyed it though...and seeing the 'original' Aliens make an appearance at the end was for me a bit like seeing Star Wars Episode III and seeing how Darth Vader came to being.

Agreed on Fassbender...he's making some great movies of late.

Guest jim s-w

Its a shame theres the link to Alien as take that away and its a decent enough sci-fi film. Comarrison with alien are always going to be made though and as such its a fair bit short.

I know what you mean about the real models. Aside from the general naffness of star wars 1-3 i always thought the models used in 4-6 looked more real

On the subject of the models in alien have you heard about the nostromo restoration project?

http://io9.com/5817920/watch-the-nostromo-from-alien-get-rebuilt-after-decades-of-neglect

Cheers

Jim

I really enjoyed the movie and I am looking forward to seeing it again next week. Great design and imagery.

The shaky bits to me are elderly Guy Pearce and no-one caring about the vivisection.

One of the chaps at work was really disappointed in the movie, as I think he wanted more from the Alien connection, but I felt like I got what I was expecting.

Nothing can fail to live up to dismal failure that is aliens vs predator. A film with so much promise but let down by throwing away pretty much all the rules handed the by the creators of both franchises. I had to say though I thought Prometheus was pretty good.

Big James

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim

Yes, and the restoration has been a painstaking process by all accounts. The link below takes you to EagleTransporter.com - a forum for sci-fi model fans. There are loads of shots of the original models being built for the film - a load of stuff you never get to see in the film and stuff that's never been seen before. Worth a look.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6146&page=3

Cheers

Mike

Interesting to see how they went about building the model originally.

I have the original concept book somewhere, with designs by Andrew Mollo, including some stuff that didn't make it to the film.

Brilliant ideas and concepts all of which seem feasible.

• RMweb Premium

Watched it again this morning and enjoyed it more second time around.

Understood the themes better - dying king, rejected daughter, robot son's need for freedom at whatever cost, religious connotations etc, etc. I love Scott's films, but felt he has jumped onto the old 'dangle the carrot' method adopted by Hollywood with this one. Give 'em a bit more now and bit more later on with the sequel etc, etc, etc. Trouble is that I couldn't stand waiting another 33 years for the next one!!! I also think he still tried to cram too much in.

Alien will stand the test of time as a classic - it was totally original and years ahead of its time. Given the fact that there's no action for the first half hour, it had an uncomplicated plot line, an unknown lead actor etc, it kept you hooked from the beginning to end - it was a brilliant bit of writing and direction. It was only Cameron's excellent handling of the sequel that made a long running franchise seem possible. As Jim s-w indicated, we shouldn't try to compare Prometheus with the original, but accept it as a separate story - a possible prequel only.

• RMweb Gold

we shouldn't try to compare Prometheus with the original, but accept it as a separate story - a possible prequel only.

But that was what Scott indicated he was trying to do I understand...

When he first started the project 10 years before (I recall reading) it started out as a prequel...but then as it got put down and picked up again after other projects it gradually morphed into something that was 'set in the same universe as the Alien' movie...and was not a Prequel.

Once I read that, the whole film seemed to resonate better with me...

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't known that was his intention, but it makes sense now. I still wonder though, if Scott has been compromised by studio demands. There are too many references with the original to make this clear. The Prometheus and Nostromo are similar in design (although the former is more like a cruise ship than an oil tanker), face huggers, alien out of the chest sequence, alien ship and alien driver, dodgy robot and the evil Weyland corporation. It also seems that there are subtle comparisons with Alien 3 and 4 - bio weapons, vivisection, genetic engineering, religion, birth and the child consumes the adult theme.

I agree though, once you accept that it's not a prequel then the film becomes another Scott visual spectacular. Playing with light and breathtaking vistas is, after all, his trademark.

Archived