P4 3 point track gauges for use with chaired track

hayfield

...Although I have no personal experience of the plastic chaired components which are available I understand that the chairs give an automatic inclination to the rail and through their design support the rail aleviating the gauge from this requirement. In this case you only need a tool which spaces the rails the correct distance apart by fitting between them...

Yes, but if you remove the outer leg of each slot you then have nothing to hold the rails in gauge. Extra roller or other type gauges or finger pressure etc. will be needed to achieve this. As I mentioned earlier, the railhead is a good, but not tight, fit in these slots so by shortening all the legs so that they only hold the head you have a gauge that not only provides the correct spacing but also holds the rails at that spacing. It's not a choice of one use or the other, you get both because the angle is determined by the plastic chairs sitting flat on the sleepers and the railhead can be accommodated in the slot at this angle.

Nick

Gordon

Thanks for taking the time to photo and post the photo, now I know not to buy at least one of those items as I have no intention to build any more rivet and ply track.

Thanks to everyone else for taking the time in replying. Though it may irritate some I will pack out the slots so the gauge sits on the rail head and see if it sets chaired track to the correct gauge, before I consider doing anything else. And wait for the replies to my emails to see if there is an alternative.

Thanks again to one and all

• 2 years later...

I don't mean to revive a thoroughly dead thread, but I hated to make a new one because it's so closely related.

Alan Gibson sells what they call the "Scalefour" gauges, but in the description calls them "Protofour/Scalefour". Does anyone know which it actually is? Are they S4 gauges or P4 gauges? Same with the B2B gauge (which they advertise as 17.7 mm). 

Quentin

Yes, P4 and S4 use the same gauge, Alan Gibson has always described P4 as S4 in his catalogues so his gauges are for P4, B2B of 17.7 being correct for P4.

Using the exact scale flangeways as espoused by Ray hammond as S4 requires different Crossing flangeway gauge, check guage and B2B gauge, but not the track gauge.

See http://www.scalefour.org/downloads/p4-standards-1-2v2-4.pdf for details

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Alan Gibson has always described P4 as S4 in his catalogues

Hi Keith,

Likewise other traders, including me when I was one.

The reason being that "Protofour" and "P4" were claimed to be trade marks of Studiolith Ltd. A difficult company to work with.

regards,

Martin.

Archived