Backdating a Mainline/Hornby Dean Goods

• 3 months later...

What wonderful job . puts mine to shame because I still need to line them out, having chickened out with that so far, for some reason there's always something more urgent ! To do but this might be just the inspiration to get on with it

The other reason they put mine to shame is I didn't do it ,I bought them second hand at the Lydney show around seven years ago with a "nice" tar brush green brown paint job,

Now the most interesting bit is when I stripped the paint off with modelstrip there was a bit of worrying going on because the stripper might be about to melt the filler, or what ever the firebox was made of,

But it revealed the firebox and cab front were resin castings

now Who made these? Then .anyone heard of a conversion kit ?

What wonderful job . puts mine to shame because I still need to line them out, having chickened out with that so far, for some reason there's always something more urgent ! To do but this might be just the inspiration to get on with it The other reason they put mine to shame is I didn't do it ,I bought them second hand at the Lydney show around seven years ago with a "nice" tar brush green brown paint job, Now the most interesting bit is when I stripped the paint off with modelstrip there was a bit of worrying going on because the stripper might be about to melt the filler, or what ever the firebox was made of, But it revealed the firebox and cab front were resin castings now Who made these? Then .anyone heard of a conversion kit ?

Lydney show? Resin castings?  Possibly made by Dean Sidings, formerly of Lydney, and still somewhere in the area I think, but no longer has a shop. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

That sounds interesting, I suppose you could say it's a good use of the tender drive on that model (which really is long past it' time). The downside would be the poor mechanism, and the compromise on the wheel spacing (8'3 on the Dean Goods, 7'9 on the Stella) but at least the driving wheels you'd be using are correct dia.

Why is it that after I convince myself it's a bad idea to run a joint GWR/SR railway I see a thread like this. I think the dean goods is a fantastic looking loco! You've done a fantastic job!

Archived